Help with spec of a new GS

Tazz

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a Newbie here - just back from test riding a GS1250 TE and I HAVE TO HAVE ONE! I'm going to need to spec it up pretty much like a GSA but I've ridden both and prefer the slimmer and slightly lower profile of the GS. I'll be mainly 2-up and my routes will be long-distance and involve a little light off-road. So I'm looking at engine bars (bottom and top), spot-lights, and metal panniers with the necessary rails (probably with a roll-top bag on the rear rack). Adding these bits onto the GS straight from BMW is pretty expensive. Has anyone got any advice on whether to get the BMW options or whether I'd be better off sourcing these bits from elsewhere? Also any other bits and bobs members would recommend? All advice and opinions gratefully received! (Also..... anyone aware of any offers on at dealers at the mo?)

I dont ride two up but I carry quite a lot of gear and I would thoroughly recommend the self levelling suspension on the TE in case you were of two minds. It makes riding with heavy loads almost the same as without. I also chose the GS because the GSA is a bit of a massive star ship and I prefer the narrower tank (its also slightly steeper steering angle on the GS apparently but I didn't ride the GSA long enough to feel that?). One thing worth mentioning IMO if you are two up and long distance touring is maybe the GSA is more practical? It has better wind and rain protection due to the wider tank and you can fit the little wings on the tank to improve it more. I was a bit gutted I couldn't do that on the GS after a few journeys in really bad weather. If you are fitting all the engine bars and stuff then the weight is going to be very similar to the GSA anyhow so its not going to make a huge amount of difference offroad.

I come from race bikes and definitely think the GS is better for fast riding on the twisties but for touring I can see why people choose the GSA since the bikes are so comfortable you can actually go 200 plus miles in one sitting with ease. Thats something I was never able to do on the racebikes and it was getting irritating having to plan fuel stops on the GS across Europe recently.

Bahnstormers in Farringdon have some great deals on at the moment because of the end of year sales thing; I think £500 off the bike plus some more gizmos?

Some very good comparison information on here https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2019-bmw-r1250gs-and-gsa-first-ride-motorcycle-review

'
GS versus GSA
There are three main areas of difference between these two bikes that should be a consideration for potential buyers: size, protection, and suspension.

Next to the GSA, the GS looks almost tiny. The GSA is a massively large machine, and a lot of that girth comes from its 7.9-gallon tank. It offers an additional 2.6 gallons of capacity over the base GS’s 5.3-gallon tank. The GSA tips the scale at a whopping 591 pounds, 18 pounds heavier than its predecessor and 42 pounds heavier than the base GS.

BMW R 1250 GS First Ride Review
Compared to the GSA, the standard GS looks almost small by comparison. Photo by Kevin Wing.
Some of that weight comes from the crash protection that’s standard on the GSA. Factoring this in, the weight difference between the two bikes becomes smaller, since most folks who buy a standard GS will still install crash bars.

BMW R 1250 GSA First Ride Review
The main performance difference between the two models is the increase in suspension travel that the GSA receives. Photo by Kevin Wing.
The most important performance-oriented difference between the two bikes is the fact that the GSA gets a longer travel, taller suspension. At the front end, the GSA features 8.3 inches of travel whereas the GS only gets 7.5 inches. At the rear shock, the GSA offers 8.7 inches of travel to the GS’s 7.9 inches. This translates into a standard seat height of 35 to 35.8 inches for the GSA and 33.5 to 34.3 inches for the GS. There’s also a lowered-suspension version of the GS, which gets that bike down to a 31.5-inch seat height. A lowered seat can drop the height even more.

While the GSA felt tall, even to this six-foot, three-inch-tall rider, the truth is it also felt incredibly balanced and stable, even off-road.'

Here's my tips
  • Get a GSA screen, the extra width makes all the difference
  • Crash bars seem to be such a personal thing, I have still to make up my mind but Heed seem the cheapest with Wunderlich and Touratech up there at the high end of the spectrum
  • Head protection, I've got a set of X-Heads on mine at the moment, should help with stone chips and gives a bit of protection until I get the bars
  • For spot lights I went with the Denali Complete CanSmart Kit that https://www.nippynormans.com is offering at the moment
  • I went with the BMW vario panniers as I got them as part of the deal on the bike, if i was going metal i think Touratech would be my choice

good luck

FFS Monners, he hasn't asked if he should get a GS or GSA. :blast

OP, go for the BMW lower bars. You don't need uppers. Also get the MachineArt cylinder guards, mudsling and fender extender. Nippy Normans does a kit with all 3.

The BMW black GSA panniers look great on the bike, but can be pricey, so if you want to save a few quid, have a look at Bumot, they're very good.

There's LOADS you can buy for the GS, most of it is just tat, but we all love our tat! :D

Re deals, as mentioned Bahnstormer are one of the best dealers in the UK, have some good deals on at the moment, and you have two branches close by.

Plus 1 for bahnstormer ... always go the extra mile..

Nutty has it sussed..

Bumont Luggage

Lower Bars

TE spec

That’s all you will need

Keep a look out on the for sale section here. Panniers, rails and rack can be bought in good condition for reasonable money.
This is my new r1250gs complete with as new second hand gsa rack, rails and footrests.
Alan R

Attachments

• 33EBC4E4-14F5-4969-A8FF-34564E4AF07D.jpg
    33EBC4E4-14F5-4969-A8FF-34564E4AF07D.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 484
  • 8DC196BC-5B09-4CFE-B4EC-57FA2DEF251A.jpg
    8DC196BC-5B09-4CFE-B4EC-57FA2DEF251A.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 483
The way I see it is just go for the extra packs. Things like keyless ride seem to be frivolous but I’ve had 2 bikes with it and wouldn’t be without. The packs are costly but cheaper than putting things on individually. JJH

Yeah I get you, I didn't mean to rattle on. It was only because I made exactly the same choices and seemed worth mentioning with a bit of hindsight. I'll get back in my box now.

FFS Monners, he hasn't asked if he should get a GS or GSA. :blast

Another plus for Bahnstormers.

Aftermarket screens are popular but there are lots of opinions on which is best. The lovely Mrs Saint and I swear by our MRA Vario, which smooths the airflow for both of us. Less turbulence means less noise and buffeting.

As pointed out, you don't need the upper bars cause if it comes to them helping in a crash your bike will be fucked anyway.

I went with xheads rather than bars, looks nicer imo. The rear hugger thing is worth a punt as well. The varios do the job well and means you don't have that ugly rack on the sides.

Never got the spotlights for any other reason than just being tat and looking the part.

Back
Top Bottom