Fuel Strip installation

Jersey_GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I just successfully fitted my first fuel strip after putting it off for a few months.

Reason for holding off was I thought it was way more involved and more painful than it actually turned out. If your handy and confident with tools it is fairly straight forward.

Tools required GS-911, Laptop, vacuum pump and hex tools to strip the tank panels.

A few years ago, my bike was recalled for a replacement fuel pump controller at the local dealers cut a long story short the new pump installation fecked up my fuel strip. It took them four attempts and much toing and froing to rectifying it after they contacted BMW for guidance.

So, I’m feeling fairly smug after sorting it on the second attempt, the only reason I failed the first attempt is because I followed this Youtube post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Wp_tW0ylo

I am not criticizing this method because if I hadn’t watched it, I wouldn’t have attempted it myself so I am thankful that it was on Youtube.
Not sure where they get the voltage needs to be above 12.5V either as mine seems to have worked at 12.3 (although I stuck my C-Tek charger on it during the process)

So in the video they calibrate the strip outside the tank then fit it after.
This is where I failed because after calibration, I turned off the ignition and disconnected the fuel strip to fit it. In doing so I assume it immediately lost its calibration. As for fitting they did it all through the fuel pump hole which I found almost impossible.

If you remove the filler cap and the top tank panel then lift the metal disc plate under the filler cap it has a return pipe and a rail that the fuel strip attaches to. With the plate lifted you can insert the strip through the fuel hole of the plastic tank and clip it to the rail this way was so easy to do.
Also slot it into the recess at the bottom of the tank this holds the strip in place.

Anyhow second attempt I drained the fuel (again) removed the strip and dried it out in the sun for a while to let the fuel evaporate. Re-fitted it into the tank installed the fuel pump and wiring and calibrated it on an empty dry tank.

Fuelled up with about 10 litres, started her up and after a couple of minutes boom! fuel gauge back and working \0/ \0/

Im not 100% the calibration is perfect and will only find out once I have ridden through the full tank of fuel but so far so good it seems to be giving accurate levels.

Of nine years ownership this is now the third strip so I’m hopeful I will yet a few more years out of it :D

I hope it does last for you.
I had one fitted which I paid for by my dealer in 2016. In The next 2 years I had 3 more fitted under the 2 year warranty. I had to pay for yet another this year back in April as the fourth one had yet again failed. At least I have got another 2 years warranty again.
Btw this is now 8 replacements that I have had fitted.

Or you could simply install the float type sensor (£40) instead. reprogram the ECU and forget about the problem.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My 07 gs fuel guage was playing up and considered doing a diy swap, i have read about the update float chamber thingy but used my local BMW main dealer to replace so i have 2 year warranty, cost nearly £300 but happy this time for them to do it as i plan to do a lot more miles over winter on the bike (been saying that for the last 3 years)

Well done and thanks for sharing

Or you could simply install the float type sensor (£40) instead. reprogram the ECU and forget about the problem.

Yeah I had already ordered the fuel strip before the recent post of the float conversion was on this site.

I was tempted to go down that road but would have to order a float unit, so decided to go with the strip for now but when it fails i will consider the float conversion by which time i am hopeful of more successful posts of other people converting theirs to float.

I don't think it's a case of "simply fitting".
There's doesn't seem to be a lot of posts on it being that successful. Or I've just missed them all!

I don't think it's a case of "simply fitting".
There's doesn't seem to be a lot of posts on it being that successful. Or I've just missed them all!
Not sure how many posts I've done but I'm pretty sure that All the bikes I've converted working without any problem and yes you are correct this is not just a simple swap pin in the connector need to be relocated to the correct terminal and ECU programmed to read from the other location
This is done with OBD link LX and could probably be done with BMW Icom and IsataP.

Thanks DenzO i will keep your details if i have any issues in 2 yrs time!!

Are you sure that after calibration you cant unplug the steip with turn off ignition?i calibrated like that and have problems..

Στάλθηκε από το Mi 9T Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Are you sure that after calibration you cant unplug the steip with turn off ignition?i calibrated like that and have problems..

Στάλθηκε από το Mi 9T Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I am not certain but because the calibration succeeded the second time with the strip and pump fitted inside the tank (empty dry tank) i'm assuming that's the reason.

Make sure the strip is completely dry leave it in the sun for a while to evaporate any fuel that may be inside the plastic housing of the strip before fitting and calibration.

Superbike Surgery Ltd on youtube gave a walk through on fitting a fuel strip on the BMW1200RT which may help some

Back
Top Bottom