Riding in South Africa

No, but I fancy riding there too - some great mountain passes.

I'd rather hire one and do my own thing though.

An ex colleague was tour leader on the BMW tour from Cape Town to Namibia.

He thought it was the best trip yet.

I’d like to it, but £10K is a lot of other holidays.

South Africa

Admittedly only did it once but we ( 2 riders 2 bikes) found it very easy to do a D.I. Y fly ride trip and cheap too. SA and Nambia (ahem trump). Good bike hire companies with plenty of choice out of Capetown.

The route looks great but then there are so many great routes around the Western Cape. It's so easy to do it on your own if you want to and safe as well. For good advice go to Wild Dogs forum and for route ideas watch Look What You're Missing on YouTube. Sorry if this isn't actually answering your question but food for thought ;)

I've ridden with Ride Expeditions and I've ridden (a lot) in South Africa - just not with Ride Expeditions in SA.

I did Himalaya with RE. Not the best I've ever been with but they were fine. As others have said though, it's easy to sort and guide your own trip in South Africa. Despite many people's perceptions, it's a safe and friendly place; everybody speaks English and hey even drive on our side of the road!

Bikes are easy to rent and there are local tour operators (try Sama Tours) who will arrange self-guided trips for you - they book accommodation and provide GPS routes. You just ride.

The one thing that might be trickier is to arrange the one-way trip like the RE one but I have done that before with Sama. We rode from Cape Town to Victoria Falls and they collected the bikes there...

Back
Top Bottom