Loss of power and running poor

chrismckay

Reaction score
Just had my 2012 R1200RT out for a blast and had to limp home on reduced power.

The symptoms are loss of power, engine lumpy, engine stalls at decreased revs, engine occasionally backfires.

Does anybody with a greater mechanical knowledge than me have some advice?

Chris...:D

The engine can go into a "Limp Home" mode if there is a loss of signal from either of the Oxygen sensors.
First I'd check the wiring connectors to each of the O2 sensors, then if that doesn't resolve it I'd do a scan with a GS-911 to check for a failed sensor itself.

Good luck.

Sounds like both the main coil sticks have failed.
You could've had one been out for a while and not noticed it until the other side decided to fail. In which case you'll be running on just the two secondary plugs which means your engine won't rev about 3500/4000 revs and all the other symptoms you describe.

Very easy to check and diagnose. Simply unplug the connection at both the lower secondary stick coils so the bike is running on just the main stick coils.... start the engine and see if it will actually start and run, if it does you have another problem, if it starts, pops, farts and just about runs then it'll be the main coils, if it doesn't start at all then reconnect the lower secondarys and try again, if it then starts , it'll be confirmation that it's the main stick coils.

Sounds like both the main coil sticks have failed.
You could've had one been out for a while and not noticed it until the other side decided to fail. In which case you'll be running on just the two secondary plugs which means your engine won't rev about 3500/4000 revs and all the other symptoms you describe.

Very easy to check and diagnose. Simply unplug the connection at both the lower secondary stick coils so the bike is running on just the main stick coils.... start the engine and see if it will actually start and run, if it does you have another problem, if it starts, pops, farts and just about runs then it'll be the main coils, if it doesn't start at all then reconnect the lower secondarys and try again, if it then starts , it'll be confirmation that it's the main stick coils.

Thanks Steptoe, would you be as kind to give me an idiots explanation of how the main stick coils and secondary stick coils function.

Under normal operation do all the coils operate at the same time or is it just the main ones???:confused:

Back
Top Bottom