1290 SAS GT

I bought locally (Laguna) and wished I'd heeded advice to buy from Premier.

I generally prefer to deal local, but there is a limit, on a new bike of this value I would need my local dealer to get within £600 - £700 - although if he could not manage that then maybe see if he could offer big discounts on other stuff I need and / or chuck in some servicing.

At least you have given them the opportunity to do a deal and not tried to squeeze them down to the last penny that way, they must know sometimes another dealer will have a deal they cannot match and should be happy to get your service work and spares purchases - if not they are a bunch of tossers not worth dealing with anyway.

On KTM number 3 from Premier (New 1190 / new 1290 / used 1090) and have been happy with each deal and the aftersales service, although it helps that they happen to be my closest dealer anyway.

I have to say that the bike in question ( post 1) at that price looks so ridiculously cheap and way less than Premier are or seem to be offering makes me wonder if it is the old model

This is in no way meant to be a stab or dig at the dealer in question because if it is a new and current model bike then it is a deal to be snatched up at the earliest

Have KTM announced a release date and price for the MY20 SAS yet? The one advertised by Premier is an MY19 and the price offered to the original poster suggests to me that it might be an MY18 with a touring pack added on at a decent price so they can shift the last couple of older bikes.

If I was looking at buying an SAS I’d certainly go and have a look and get clarification on which model it was then look at what changes there were between years.

What are the differences between 2018 and 2019? I thought it was merely colours/transfers.

Have KTM announced a release date and price for the MY20 SAS yet? The one advertised by Premier is an MY19 and the price offered to the original poster suggests to me that it might be an MY18 with a touring pack added on at a decent price so they can shift the last couple of older bikes.

That's what I'm wondering, as they don't do a GT version of the SAS, so maybe the dealer offering the cheap bike has made it sound more fancy.

Just spoken to Kestrel in Coventry and they are saying there will be a 1290 SAS update for 2020..and it should be on show at the NECC. So I think we will wait and see.

Also just called the original dealer I spoke to and he has now suggested the same. I asked if he could re quote, removing the luggage and the comfort seats and he said he will need check availability first as they only have the dealer specials currently in stock. I.E the 1290 SA S GT...colour coded luggage etc. He also suggested a 2020 model will be at the show but could not confirm as "KTM don't tell us much".

And there is a new model! With radar cruise control! Hence great deals on the 2019 model im guessing!

Just spoken to Kestrel in Coventry and they are saying there will be a 1290 SAS update for 2020..and it should be on show at the NECC. So I think we will wait and see.

The new model will start at over £16k though, and there won't be big discounts for a few months after launch. Apparently, KTM is clamping down on these big discounts in future. ;)

The new model will start at over £16k though, and there won't be big discounts for a few months after launch. Apparently, KTM is clamping down on these big discounts in future. ;)

Have asked the dealer who gave me the original quote to re quote with metal luggage as opposed to the plastic stuff. Premier bikes no where near at the mo.

The one advertised by Premier is an MY19 and the price offered to the original poster suggests to me that it might be an MY18 with a touring pack added on at a decent price so they can shift the last couple of older bikes.

If I was looking at buying an SAS I’d certainly go and have a look and get clarification on which model it was then look at what changes there were between years.

I only paid £12k for my SAS last winter so deal does not sound suspiciously cheap, easy to tell if 18 or 19 as the colours are all different, changes between 18 and 19 are virtually zero, the 19 has better knobs to adjust screen height, but these can be easily retro-fitted to earlier bikes.

There was a problem with wiring to stop issues with the key being recognized, but this was done during the 18 year production run, AFAIK that is all.

At that price you could take the bike and remove the panniers / seats - probably get @£700 for them fairly easily - but trust me you won't want the standard seats! So buy the bike and flog the panniers if the dealer won't split.

Have asked the dealer who gave me the original quote to re quote with metal luggage as opposed to the plastic stuff. Premier bikes no where near at the mo.

If Premier couldn’t get near, I’d rip the other dealers arm off, before he bike is gone, as that’s a bargain. ;)

KTM it is.

1290 SAS with ally panniers, comfort seats and heated grips, £13700.

Cant wait.

Back
Top Bottom