Africa Twin Touratech Extreme Suspension

No excuses now then when you put it in the hedge.

Oh that'll happen anyways, but I'm happier that the fork seals are beefed up and a closed cartridge system should get me and the bike home.....

In the meantime, the bike feels 'tighter' and more under control, so we shall see once its tuned in :thumb2

I managed to buy a Nitron rear shock from ebay at a very good price (the shock had been set up for the rider and his 'riding'.....he was the same weight as me, often pillion'd and with luggage so it ticked all my boxes), so with upgraded fork springs and oil, I look forward to how much more composed mine is.

I managed to buy a Nitron rear shock from ebay at a very good price (the shock had been set up for the rider and his 'riding'.....he was the same weight as me, often pillion'd and with luggage so it ticked all my boxes), so with upgraded fork springs and oil, I look forward to how much more composed mine is.

Did you upgrade the front fork seals while you were at it?, I was recommended SKF Seals.

Apparently less stiction and less likely to leak or blow out.

Went out on Saturday to try out these new Touratech suspension.

I checked all the settings to make sure Pre-load was at zero... High Speed and Low Speed Compression and Rebound on the rear shock was setup... Front Compression and rebound was setup... Scotts Steering damper at factory recommended settings and tyre pressures correct.

What a really nice initial ride. Sag felt correct, soaked up little bumps with ease. Some bigger bumps were a 'bit harsh' but I'll start dialling it in now.

Very pleasant surprise and well worth the money.

Any update on the suspension, thought you may have been a bit more chatty about the results after all the research?

Any update on the suspension, thought you may have been a bit more chatty about the results after all the research?

Sure.... it's absolutely brilliant. In fact I rate it better than my Ohlins setup on my BMW R1200 and in a lot of ways now wish I'd have bought the Touratech Extreme kit for that as well.

What would you like to know specifically?

Would I buy it again? Yes
Would I recommend it? Yes
Any negative points? No (price maybe)

Was out on it today in the pouring rain, really nice bike

Attachments

• 20200606_113143.jpg
    20200606_113143.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 110
Nice, glad you are happy with it.. Does it make a big difference over the stock suspension in things like fork dive, cornering, bottoming out off road? Ta.

Nice, glad you are happy with it.. Does it make a big difference over the stock suspension in things like fork dive, cornering, bottoming out off road? Ta.

Yes

It's a big difference because the Spring Rates will be designed specifically for YOUR WEIGHT.

So that alone is really good.

In addition to that you have High and Low speed compression control. Sounds like a gimmick but it isn't.

That again helps you control the comfort and how your bike responds over varied surfaces.

I ride my bike differently to a racer, as I'm not heavy on front brakes. I use engine braking and reduce speed early (I'm a road rider).

But, from how I use the bike, it's just better all round. I'll post a video from todays ride and the SuperMoto type Rally Raid wheels that are on it today :D

Just to add, and answer your other question about off-road.

I fitted the Touratech Extreme suspension in November 2019.

Then the COVID-19 struck.

So I've not been off-road yet on this setup. Maybe later this year or 2021 now.

But logic tells me, it'll be way better than stock suspension purely because of less sag = more useable damping.

Just a short video of me messing around in the rain today with the new wheelset.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3nq8mDX2NE0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom