What makes the 1250 GSA heavier than the old 1200 GSA

Bails

Reaction score
I can't understand the weight increase being quoted? 256 kgs for 2018 GSA 283 kgs for 1250 GSA. Where is all the extra fat?

Only thing it really can be is all the shift cam gubbins and maybe extra calalytic jobbidydoodas

That weight difference doesn't seem correct.

Sent from a U11

Think you've got that wrong mate....

Taken from a quick google search:

That means the basic GS's curb weight, complete with a full tank of fuel, rises from 244kg to 249kg, while the R1250GS Adventure is upped from 263kg to 268kg, again with fuel (its larger 30 litre tank – compared to 20 litres for the normal GS – accounts for much of the increase over the non-Adventure version).

?

Thanks I did get the weights from Google but was a US site. So 5 kgs for the extra bits plus more crash protection makes sense.

Think you've got that wrong mate....

Taken from a quick google search:

That means the basic GS's curb weight, complete with a full tank of fuel, rises from 244kg to 249kg, while the R1250GS Adventure is upped from 263kg to 268kg, again with fuel (its larger 30 litre tank – compared to 20 litres for the normal GS – accounts for much of the increase over the non-Adventure version).

?

You’ve also got that wrong. The increase in weight between the GS and GSA has nothing to do with fuel. As your own post says - there is a fundamental difference of 19kg in static weight between both models, fully fueled or empty.

My 2010 R1200GSA TC is 256kg, unladen, read for road, fully fuelled.... Dry Weight 223kg - lardy for sure.

You’ve also got that wrong. The increase in weight between the GS and GSA has nothing to do with fuel. As your own post says - there is a fundamental difference of 19kg in static weight between both models, fully fueled or empty.

Think you may want to read my post again...

The original 12gs non abs model was 199 kg. Dry. That was their target. JJH

The original 12gs non abs model was 199 kg. Dry. That was their target. JJH

Yes, I remember the story that the design team was given a full 30L water canister and told that was the weight that had to come out of the 1150GS for the new 1200GS. I bought a 1200GS in Riyadh in 2005, and had a n 1150GS in Dublin as well. I liked the 1150GS loads but the 1200GS felt and handled better in all ways.

Yes, I remember the story that the design team was given a full 30L water canister and told that was the weight that had to come out of the 1150GS for the new 1200GS. I bought a 1200GS in Riyadh in 2005, and had a n 1150GS in Dublin as well. I liked the 1150GS loads but the 1200GS felt and handled better in all ways.
I loved mine. It was probably the biggest jump I experienced in handling and performance since I went from a Honda 175 to a air cooled rd 250 in about 1978. JJH

It’s the increase in shock thickness to take the weight of all the old fat bastards buying them

It’s the increase in shock thickness to take the weight of all the old fat bastards buying them

I've just spent the last two minutes laughing at the last two posts. Well worth the visit to the site, which has been disappointing lately. By the way, has anyone with a GS(A)1200 ever used one of those MicroStart X-1 thingies. My 2017 GSA sometimes exhibits a fraction of a second of scary silence before firing up, usually relatively far from home. And it gets a regular juicing with an Optimate. I wonder if I should carry the aforesaid device with me. My old K bikes and much missed (and nicked) 1000 XR never dillied or dallied on the starter button. That's four cylinders for you. But those big opposed pistons .....

day in kingston

I don’t know the maths but a 250 cc sized piston is much easier to push up the bore than a 600 cc sized one. And yes I know there’s no such thing as a 250 cc piston it depends on the stroke but you know what I mean. JJH

Jokes aside, the OP ask about weight increase between 1200 GSA and 1250 GSA. The difference,official numbers says it's up from 263 to 268.
The weight increase is due to heavier cam system (shift cam weights more) and the beefed up camchain.

As for the difference between GS and GSA: If you strip down both bikes they are basically the same bike. Slightly different spring travel and slightly different steering angle makes no difference on the scale.
The GSA has a larger, aluminum tank vs the GS plastic tank. GSA has a larger windscreen, and it comes stock with crash bars and luggage rack for alu.-cases. Since 80% full fueltank is part of the given weight, the 50% larger fuel capacity of the GSA ads to the scale. Also, the alu. rims weights less than the spoked wheels of the GSA.

I think you are forgetting the GSA has a reinforced seat with steel mesh and denser foam as GSA riders are lardier than GS riders.

Took 30 pounds or so off it in the last decade and it's been creeping up a few kees at a time at each iteration since.

Jokes aside, the OP ask about weight increase between 1200 GSA and 1250 GSA. The difference,official numbers says it's up from 263 to 268.
The weight increase is due to heavier cam system (shift cam weights more) and the beefed up camchain.

As for the difference between GS and GSA: If you strip down both bikes they are basically the same bike. Slightly different spring travel and slightly different steering angle makes no difference on the scale.
The GSA has a larger, aluminum tank vs the GS plastic tank. GSA has a larger windscreen, and it comes stock with crash bars and luggage rack for alu.-cases. Since 80% full fueltank is part of the given weight, the 50% larger fuel capacity of the GSA ads to the scale. Also, the alu. rims weights less than the spoked wheels of the GSA.

Thanks for this started as a discussion on the way to the Australian MotoGP was asked what the weight difference was and Googled an American site which didn't seem to know what they were about. This allmakes sense now I couldn't see how the weight would have increased as much as stated on the US site.

Back
Top Bottom