The great FE501 conversion

I’m on a roll with this photo business...

First one shows the bigger tank and side panels for the tower prior to the panels going away for anodising.

c1e7999eefea5f0fec7777b549b53807.jpg

Next up is the replacement bash plate and toolbox. The box should be big enough to take the factory supplied tool kit plus a disc lock so that’s plenty big enough.

f0a617a57918993b5f2cac2a4f140e33.jpg

That’s it for now.

I’ve no real idea regarding weight but there shouldn’t be too much of an increase. The tower and pannier frames are aluminium, as a dry weight the bigger tank shouldn’t be too much then there a heavier rear hum because of the cush drive so maybe 20kg?

If it comes in at under 145kg wet then I’ll be happy.

Starting to come together nicely :thumb2

Couple of gentlemen of this Parish have previously mentioned that Nomad can be a slow at times, apparently it helps to give them a regular prod for progress updates.

This is true. I ordered a rally Moto steering damper, which arrived in around a week but the lower submount which fits over the steering stem didn’t fit properly - this was for a 2020 my EXC F six days, do brand new model. I dremmelled it to make it fit but have been waiting for a correctly machined replacement ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They admitted that unless they’ve had a specific model of each bike in their workshop they’re always going to struggle which is why they’ve got my bike over there. At least I know everything will be made to suit and any minor snags will be solved before I get it back so they’ve got no excuses.

They’re a great pair of blokes when you meet them and I’m confident that they’ll do a very good job but as a small level supplier they’re up against it unless KTM/Husqvarna decide to push them as an authorised supplier and that won’t happen. I’m not fussed, I’ll effectively have a bespoke tower, luggage frames, steering damper mount and a few other things which means the bike will be a bit ‘special’ but not everyone is happy to take their bike to the NL and leave it there for 4 weeks.

Bashplate with Toolbox looks very bespoke, and not the same as the ones they used to fit, so I'm guessing they've changed the design? Or is your new model different around the front exhaust area to the older bikes?

Starting to look the business now! :thumb2

Bashplate with Toolbox looks very bespoke, and not the same as the ones they used to fit, so I'm guessing they've changed the design? Or is your new model different around the front exhaust area to the older bikes?

Starting to look the business now! :thumb2

It’s the new down pipe that means they needed to change the design but I particularly wanted somewhere to put a disc lock and some tools without carrying them in a back pack.

Looks good but can't help thinking the tool box looks vulnerable, where does it open?

Looks good but can't help thinking the tool box looks vulnerable, where does it open?

To be honest I don’t know :nenau

The obvious guess is that the end plate comes off and if they stick to their normal style it’ll have a wire tether to prevent you losing the lid though personally I’d put a hinge on the front side then secure it with a locking pin. I’m confident it’ll be a neat job because they don’t put bikes together in a way they wouldn’t be happy with if it was their own bike.

I’ve just had an email saying the bike will be ready for collection next weekend and as soon as the wheels are fitted I’ll get photos plus the dreaded invoice.

That’s my xmas present to me sorted 😀

I’ve just had an email saying the bike will be ready for collection next weekend and as soon as the wheels are fitted I’ll get photos plus the dreaded invoice.

That’s my xmas present to me sorted ��

Ooh....happy days....:clap

Ooh....happy days....:clap

The only bad part is that I’ll get home at about 11pm on Sunday then I’ve got to go to work early Monday morning and won’t be home for 12 days.

Looking at the positive side, my mother in law arrives the Sunday before Xmas so I can go and mess about on green lanes while she’s here 😀

The only bad part is that I’ll get home at about 11pm on Sunday then I’ve got to go to work early Monday morning and won’t be home for 12 days.

Looking at the positive side, my mother in law arrives the Sunday before Xmas so I can go and mess about on green lanes while she’s here

It’s very cold here in NL at the moment, you will need your thermals and rain gear.

It’s very cold here in NL at the moment, you will need your thermals and rain gear.

It’ll be fine, I’ve got merino wool thermals, heated grips, decent gloves and best of all I’ve got an ex MOD dew liner to put over the top of everything. The biggest issue will be avoiding overheating in the queue at Harwich passport control when I get back to the UK :D

There’s more meat on a butchers pencil than there is on my bones so I learned a long time ago how to preserve heat and I don’t mind riding in winter.

That’s my xmas present to me sorted ��

Looking at the positive side, my mother in law arrives the Sunday before Xmas so I can go and mess about on green lanes while she’s here ��

Excellent news! We've got the in-laws over for Xmas too, so I've already booked myself out on as many of our TRF rides as possible :)

Don't forget to do a repeat of the beer can pic in the ferry queue so we can compare and contrast with the first one :D

More photos, he still hasn’t fitted the lower front mudguard and the wheels will go on when he’s got the brake discs, sprockets etc on them.

Rear luggage rack with subframe bracing.

2f97806b80a3eab9fa2f35d6cf3538e2.jpg

Toolbox/bash plate

f80eaa46ddbca980fa87b874d82303d5.jpg

Arse end view

ad6a0d592ff451e50968e867bbb535c5.jpg

Side view

5d562fe48ce366550d4fcaa784628804.jpg

Front view

a861e16c56f0a1addbb7b9189fcc9c3b.jpg

Another shot of the toolbox but open & empty

7a61cfcd781aebcc9b92beee2fa7eb42.jpg

I’ll take a few photos of where he’s fitted the instruments, USB power supply, ignition key etc when I get it home.

The indicators and mirrors are about as small as you can get but less is better when you want everything tucked away and minimal weight.

I’m happy with what I’ve seen so far

Back
Top Bottom