The great FE501 conversion

Just waiting to be ragged through some muddy trails. Cracking looking bike

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I’ve left the suspension well alone because the Xplor forks should be up to the job and the 501 has a separate linkage for the rear shock rather than being direct as with the KTM 500EXC.

If they need a bit of messing about with then it won’t be a big job and at least the 501 has the basics of a decent suspension set up.

I’ve left the suspension well alone because the Xplor forks should be up to the job and the 501 has a separate linkage for the rear shock rather than being direct as with the KTM 500EXC.

If they need a bit of messing about with then it won’t be a big job and at least the 501 has the basics of a decent suspension set up.

I think some people complain about the Xplor forks, being rebound in one side and compression in the other

I think some people complain about the Xplor forks, being rebound in one side and compression in the other

What's the consensus on the solution to improving the cheap shit OE forks?

I'm looking forward to seeing the verdict on how it goes and functions..

Didn’t the forks on the old 640 Adventure have adjustment for rebound on one leg and compression on the other?

I’m not good enough to be able to know what’s going on with the front end off road and if they’re ok for anything I need then apart from adjusting everything when loaded up I’ll leave well alone.

What's the consensus on the solution to improving the cheap shit OE forks?

I'm looking forward to seeing the verdict on how it goes and functions..

A revalve and cone conversion seems popular over on the KTM forum - maybe overkill for trails

But there are a few options - many find some older OC or CC 48mm forks and rework them

XPlor don't seem very good and designed by accountants

Everyone is craving for Japanese KYB forks these days as nirvana

They are being rated as the best in the business and Beta, GasGas (now owned by KTM) have them, as does Yamaha WR

WP aren't seen as fab - unless you fit the factory stuff (as demonstrated at the NEC show, adjacent to the KTM stand) which you can fit to a 690/701 or 790R - but a shock and forks is the thick end of £4K

All the info for suspension fixing is on Thumper Talk or AdvRider

BTW - bike looks great

Seems to happen a lot on forums, but not one single bod in our TRF group has changed theirs, and some of them are racing Enduro.
Does the top of the range stuff (Dakar kit) also use the same principle?

Exactly same for me. I go trail riding, which is basically bimbling down green lanes and the WP stuff works more than well enough for me.

What's the consensus on the solution to improving the cheap shit OE forks?..

You could spend a lot of money on some swish aftermarket stuff that will turn you into an off road riding God - or what's commonly called on here "doing a Warlord" ;) :D

Considering Ohlins have run rebound in the right fork and compression in the left on their factory gas forks since the early noughties
What’s the issue? Means lighter kit, larger valving, etc.
Good enough for Rossi, Marquez, et al - fairly sure its more than good enough for a fat twat crashing around a green lane somewhere in Surrey......

Seems to happen a lot on forums, but not one single bod in our TRF group has changed theirs, and some of them are racing Enduro.

Does the top of the range stuff (Dakar kit) also use the same principle?

Exactly same for me. I go trail riding, which is basically bimbling down green lanes and the WP stuff works more than well enough for me.

You could spend a lot of money on some swish aftermarket stuff that will turn you into an off road riding God - or what's commonly called on here "doing a Warlord" ;) :D

No, the forks on the 450 Rallye are full factory forks, but the bike costs £30,000

I think people complain because the Xplor are not as good as the earlier OC or CC 48mm WP forks (KYB are similar in this respect) and only have 1 spring

Good suspension makes a bike better, look at Tim's 640...........it may lack in outright power to newer bikes, but because the suspension is fully sorted it can be ridden faster

Better suspension offroad, doesn't beat you up, fatigue you and wear you out............I would say it's more important than road

Doing a Warlord, is a bit harsh:p

I am sure Andy will be fine, with this lovely bike

are the forks like that on my GS and will it be better if I change them Mr Johnny Boxer, you always seem very knoledgeable?

are the forks like that on my GS and will it be better if I change them Mr Johnny Boxer, you always seem very knoledgeable?

Yep, just the same...............ask Warlord what's best though:bounce1

All I am saying is, from experience...........you can't beat good/improved suspension, on any bike over the stuff that the manufacturers fit as OEM

Andy is building a great bike, all I was originally asking is whether he is contemplating doing anything to the suspension, to go with his Moto Nomad transformation?

Back
Top Bottom