The great FE501 conversion

It does look nice. The blue hubs are the right choice with the paint scheme as well, and I really like the tower / screen.

Looks fantastic!

And Arsey, being shite offload has not stopped me enjoying my new 701 NOTLR :D

I’m on the 11pm ferry from Harwich tonight to pick it up then the 2pm ferry home from the Hook of Holland on Sunday so not long to wait :bounce1

It’ll be another fortnight before I get a chance to try it out in it’s natural environment because I’m back to work on Monday morning and won’t be home until the 20th though that could drag out until Xmas Eve if certain things take longer than expected to start/finish. The downside of going down this kind of route is that it all needs paying for and that necessitates keeping the people that pay me happy.

haha, I suspect that the only one more frustrated than those of us following this thread is you. Enjoy it when you get it.
Very keen on the direction you are going with this as have been thinking along the same lines.

Looks fantastic!

And Arsey, being shite offload has not stopped me enjoying my new 701 NOTLR :D

Good to know Cookie as have only done a few days in Wales so far (other than years ago just heading of the beaten track on an old 600 Tenere)
How are you finding the 701 - any issues worth mentioning??

I’ve made it to the ferry terminal and getting the original tyres off was worth it because it pissed it down and according to my phone there’s a 29mph wind blowing which makes lightweight bikes a bit of a handful.

The screen keeps a lot of rain off and the seat is miles better otherwise there’s not much to say apart from the fact that engineering wise it’s a work of art. Overall weight gain (dry) is supposedly 12kg so it should still come in at around 120kg dry.

I’m well pleased so far 😀

Good news indeed!

A significant saving in weight over a 690/701 (~25kgs) which will make a big difference on the trails and if it is comfortable and handles well on the Tarmac then you'll have got yourself a fantastic set up there Andy :thumb2

Good to know Cookie as have only done a few days in Wales so far (other than years ago just heading of the beaten track on an old 600 Tenere)
How are you finding the 701 - any issues worth mentioning??

Loving it. Just come up to the 600 mile mark and first service, so took my 1190R out instead yesterday. What a massive thing that seems after the 701 :eek:

No issues as yet unless you count a habit of falling over on the job :rolleyes:

Husky%20Day%20out%20%204-L.jpg

I’ve made it to the ferry terminal and getting the original tyres off was worth it because it pissed it down and according to my phone there’s a 29mph wind blowing which makes lightweight bikes a bit of a handful.

The screen keeps a lot of rain off and the seat is miles better otherwise there’s not much to say apart from the fact that engineering wise it’s a work of art. Overall weight gain (dry) is supposedly 12kg so it should still come in at around 120kg dry.

I’m well pleased so far 😀

Guessing the screen efficiency will be personal depending on rider size :rolleyes:
Must have missed the bit about the seat - what have you done to that?

Guessing the screen efficiency will be personal depending on rider size :rolleyes:
Must have missed the bit about the seat - what have you done to that?

It’s a Seat Concepts seat which is slightly wider and has a bit more padding than the stock one which is your normal level of enduro seat designed to make you stand up.

Well it’s safely locked in our garage now and that’s where it’ll stay for a couple of weeks.

First impressions? The change to the gearing makes it a lot better at motorway speeds but if I’m honest I wouldn’t want to be holding it at 75mph for long distances because it feels better at about 65mph which is fine by me. The seat was fine for the 120 mile ride home but would it be good for 500 miles in a day? I guess I’ll find out at some point. The lights are probably the best I’ve had on a motorbike, you can use either dip, main or flick a switch on the tower and use both which gives a good spread plus beam and on a short stretch of very bumpy, gravel strewn single track road close to home I was doing 75mph which is more than I’d have done in the daylight on any other bike I’ve owned :D

It’ll bring out the idiot in me on nasty road surfaces which is never a bad thing so now my mission in life will be to try to plan journeys to include roads I’d previously have avoided :okay

More photos will follow whenever :hippy

Well it’s safely locked in our garage now and that’s where it’ll stay for a couple of weeks.

First impressions? The change to the gearing makes it a lot better at motorway speeds but if I’m honest I wouldn’t want to be holding it at 75mph for long distances because it feels better at about 65mph which is fine by me. The seat was fine for the 120 mile ride home but would it be good for 500 miles in a day? I guess I’ll find out at some point. The lights are probably the best I’ve had on a motorbike, you can use either dip, main or flick a switch on the tower and use both which gives a good spread plus beam and on a short stretch of very bumpy, gravel strewn single track road close to home I was doing 75mph which is more than I’d have done in the daylight on any other bike I’ve owned :D

It’ll bring out the idiot in me on nasty road surfaces which is never a bad thing so now my mission in life will be to try to plan journeys to include roads I’d previously have avoided :okay

More photos will follow whenever :hippy
Are you taking it to Denmark? It would be a good test for it and 65mph wouldn't bother me on my 650 funduro

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Are you taking it to Denmark? It would be a good test for it and 65mph wouldn't bother me on my 650 funduro

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I’m toying with taking it to Denmark. If I was going alone then I would but I think the others will get tearful if we’re not keeping just over 70mph even though they don’t have the same rapid refuel tactics as me which simply involve fill the bike, have a hot drink and go rather than lose at least 1hr because of eating food, suddenly deciding a shit is needed then looking at Facebook to see if anyone has liked the posts they made while eating dinner :blast

I’ll be trying my soft panniers on it before heading off to work at lunchtime plus trawling through various websites to try and find a tiny tank bag that will fit and take my phone, passport and bike documents.

Plastic. The issue isn’t simply attaching a bag, it’s finding one that’ll fit in the limited space available.

I might buy a bag that fits to the ring of bolts holding the filler cap on then make an adaptor ring but that needs me to take a gamble on buying the bag then seeing if it’s feasible to make said adaptor.

The other, simpler, option is that I start to use the Kriega waist pack that’s sitting in the cupboard under our stairs but I’ve become so used to using a tank bag that it’ll be like stopping smoking again :D

Kriega tankbag adaptor + US10 or US5 work well for me on several bikes including the 701.

Back
Top Bottom