The great FE501 conversion

Surprising what a difference a good rider makes isn’t it?

I love riding my 500 both on the road and off it because on the 50/50 tyres you can just throw it into a corner and it goes where you point it no matter how crap the road surface.

Knighter is amazing on a bike

Saw him last year at Bainbridge hill climb,

He just bosses it, even a Suzuki
4189c7fe6d1f9807a082516dcd976f29.jpg

At long last it’s had a first decent run out fully loaded for camping. I paid a flying visit to Glencoe and in the space of 36 hours away from home I covered 920 miles during which time it behaved almost perfectly and handled the extra weight remarkably well. The seat passed the pain test and I did about 480 miles today with 300 being away from motorway or dual carriageways so I’m happy that I could do a fortnight of 400 mile days with no pain which ticked that box.

The only minor snag is that 150 miles of rain yesterday exposed a flaw in the instruments. Quite a major flaw because they stopped recording speed or miles though the time and fuel light functioned perfectly. It decided to work again after about 50 miles yesterday and the same again today so I’m suspecting it’s the connection between the sender and the wiring harness so I’ll open it up, check for damp, put some silicon grease in there and wrap it in self amalgamating tape to see if that stops it happening after I’ve had a hose pipe on it for a decent period of time.

New rubber and used my cush drive wheel on the 520 today, not too shabby for a 20 year old dirt bike :)

Attachments

• 20200929_163125-01.jpg
    20200929_163125-01.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 378
I still think I’m overloading it but one of those panniers only held a 4 seasons bag and a very small Thermarest mat then the other one had trainers, clothes for 3 days and a small bag containing battery packs and cables.

The tail pack had tent, tarp, chair, Trangia stove and a gas cartridge. The tank panniers had a small toolkit, spare gloves, boil in the bag food pouches for 3 days, 4 cans of Pedigree and a 1l water container that sits at the bottom, a trowel, toilet roll and a head torch.

Ok, the tarp, chair and Pedigree could go plus a lighter sleeping bag in summer, shorts instead of jeans and I could substitute a small rucksack with a water bladder for the tank panniers but they’re good for passport and documents because you can get them easily and not be faffing about removing a rucksack.

a0189424edafaeb373b0b949808a6152.jpg

All up I had 18l in each of the main panniers, 5l in each tank pannier and the tailpack probably had 30l in it though it’ll take 40l.

If I’d used the GS I’d have taken loads more just because I can

Look forward to seeing it. And you of course. :D

Fingers crossed I don’t get summoned but I’ve gone back to full time employment again and I’m on 1hr notice to mobilise from when I answer the phone and have to return a call within 24hrs or they don’t pay me. That sounds a bit harsh but I’ve been off for nearly 4 weeks and all I’ve done is catch up on training modules and take part in 2 Teams meetings so it’s swings and roundabouts.

I know I’ve got a job to go on in early October and I’m on holiday for a week towards the end of the month so might not have to go back then after that it’s in the lap of the Gods :D

I know it’s a few years since I had the work done but I’ve got to be honest and say it didn’t work out. Covid fucked everything for a couple of years, other things got in the way the following year and then I changed my job meaning my free time went out of the window but it may be time for a rebirth.

It was pointed out to me yesterday that it’s a few years since I raced anything but I don’t think my aching body can handle either rallies or enduros these days and racing for under a minute can’t be that stressful can it :nenau

Anyway, I was at Olivers Mount watching the hill climbing (and drinking beer, lots of beer and that’s important to remember) when it was pointed out to me that I’ve got a 500 sitting idle and with a bit of work it could be turned into a hill climbing bike. How difficult can it be to change my enduro wheels so they have 17” rims and bung a set of wets on it. Play with the suspension (firm it up a lot), rip off all the extra weight and rag the fuck out of it for a minute 4 or 5 times in a day?

Initially I said no because I’d be too slow but it was pointed out to me that most of the field are as old as me and the instigator of all this nonsense is now a 3 times British Champion so he should know. He’s also won that title on my old 250 EXC enduro bike and has offered to let me ride it so I can have double entries and get more practice in.

So where do I start? Well probably by phoning Talon and asking how much they’ll charge me to lace 17” rims onto my enduro hubs if I cut the spokes out and send only the hubs then strip off everything I don’t want to break when the inevitable crash occurs. I’ve already upgraded the front brake and I’ve got it geared to top out at about 90mph which would be about right most of the time.

I might still fit in my race leathers if I breathe in, I’ve got boots and crash helmet so a plan is forming :D

I know it’s a few years since I had the work done but I’ve got to be honest and say it didn’t work out. Covid fucked everything for a couple of years, other things got in the way the following year and then I changed my job meaning my free time went out of the window but it may be time for a rebirth.

It was pointed out to me yesterday that it’s a few years since I raced anything but I don’t think my aching body can handle either rallies or enduros these days and racing for under a minute can’t be that stressful can it :nenau

Anyway, I was at Olivers Mount watching the hill climbing (and drinking beer, lots of beer and that’s important to remember) when it was pointed out to me that I’ve got a 500 sitting idle and with a bit of work it could be turned into a hill climbing bike. How difficult can it be to change my enduro wheels so they have 17” rims and bung a set of wets on it. Play with the suspension (firm it up a lot), rip off all the extra weight and rag the fuck out of it for a minute 4 or 5 times in a day?

Initially I said no because I’d be too slow but it was pointed out to me that most of the field are as old as me and the instigator of all this nonsense is now a 3 times British Champion so he should know. He’s also won that title on my old 250 EXC enduro bike and has offered to let me ride it so I can have double entries and get more practice in.

So where do I start? Well probably by phoning Talon and asking how much they’ll charge me to lace 17” rims onto my enduro hubs if I cut the spokes out and send only the hubs then strip off everything I don’t want to break when the inevitable crash occurs. I’ve already upgraded the front brake and I’ve got it geared to top out at about 90mph which would be about right most of the time.

I might still fit in my race leathers if I breathe in, I’ve got boots and crash helmet so a plan is forming :D
not the first time drinking with ogden leads to stupidity ...

He wasn’t the only one poking sticks into the wasps nest between my ears.
yes, I can understand Si wanting someone to be slower than him

just remember, if you ride twice as many rounds as any other competitor, you can be British Champ :)

yes, I can understand Si wanting someone to be slower than him

just remember, if you ride twice as many rounds as any other competitor, you can be British Champ :)
You’ve got to be in it to win it but work commitments would mean I’d only do a few rounds rather than dragging my sorry arse all over the country.

Just talk to SMPro

Just talk to SMPro

The way I’m viewing it is that I’ve got three options regarding wheel purchases

1) Just buy a set of wheels and then have 3 different sets for different options.

2) Sell my enduro wheels/tyres to fund a part of the purchase of a set of replacement wheels with 17” rims.

3) Cut the rims off my enduro wheels and have replacements laced onto them.

Factory wheels are roughly £750 a pair, mine are unmarked so should fetch a reasonable price but that’s speculation rather than a firm price if I either keep them or destroy them and only keep the hubs.

Rims plus spokes and labour are going to close to what a set of SM wheels are.
Just keep the Enduro and have the 17’s.
That what I did with the CRF

Back
Top Bottom