Why would I keep or change my 1150GS?

Sweaty Sock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought my GS from KMD of this fine forum, my first BMW after several Kawasaki and then Honda road bikes. I've been on a journey of trying to own, at least for a while, some iconic bikes- Z650, Z1000, GPz900R, Fireblade, CB500S (really fantastic wee bike), VFR750F. Now the GS...

Now I don't want to needlessly change, only to be disappointed. I love the 1150 grunt, the GS stance and comfort, the suspension (Ohlins) on shit roads is the best I have ever experienced, the box on mine isn't too bad and it doesn't use much oil, like some. But as I get a bit older (57 tomorrow) I have to acknowledge that the weight is becoming a problem moving it about (not riding) and 50mpg isn't as good as some modern stuff. I really dislike the screen, even with Tobinators and/or MRA replacement, and the lights are shit (even with HID). But, at least I can work on it myself, fix most things without a computer using only a spoon and a hammer.:rob.

But I feel the need for a change. Am I mad? Misguided? I guess we have all been there, the grass is always greener on a different bike sort of thing...

I realise this is the reverse of this part of the forum, but seems to tick the same boxes. :confused:

The problem with the 1150 is it was already old when it was new out since it was a tweaked 1100.

I love my 1150 and wouldn't sell it unless I had to in fact it would be the last to go. If you remove the complexity argument it the water cooled is better but it doesn't have the 1150 kwerx...it's the next airhead. Love it for what is or move it on if it no longer floats your boat. Have you thought about lowering it and loosing the abs if you have it and a decat and after market can. Those three things remove quite a bit if weight and make moving around easier.

Newer stuff is more sterile but does perform better.

My 1150 just gets better and is just fine

Recently did a trip of Northern Spain on it and it was just fantastic, 1150's are becoming rarer in a sea of 1200 and 1250 GS's

My 1150 just gets better and is just fine

Recently did a trip of Northern Spain on it and it was just fantastic, 1150's are becoming rarer in a sea of 1200 and 1250 GS's

I like it! I can't help but think the 1150 looks smaller and smaller by comparison...

That is impressive! If you want to trade it in and add GBP10K to it, you will get a bike that is equally as good, maybe....

Keep it for another year and then trade it in for a multistrada V4

Edit... lovely bike btw

The problem with the 1150 is it was already old when it was new out since it was a tweaked 1100.

I love my 1150 and wouldn't sell it unless I had to in fact it would be the last to go. If you remove the complexity argument it the water cooled is better but it doesn't have the 1150 kwerx...it's the next airhead. Love it for what is or move it on if it no longer floats your boat. Have you thought about lowering it and loosing the abs if you have it and a decat and after market can. Those three things remove quite a bit if weight and make moving around easier.

Newer stuff is more sterile but does perform better.

Have already ripped the ABS out, and it has a Remus system/no cat. Sound fine!!! The weight issue isn't because I can't touch the floor, more just because my back/spine is a bit dodgy so when I am rolling it about in the drive/car parks etc. I still struggle. With luggage almost impossible. :blast

Keep it for another year and then trade it in for a multistrada V4

Edit... lovely bike btw

I loved my Viffer- and have fond memories of a pal's Cagiva Elefant 900 from years ago, so the Duke ticks both of those boxes!!!!:okay

If your not happy with 50 mpg prepare to be disappointed with the newer stuff. Unless you go for a F850gs. I’m getting 60/61 mpg on mine. I’m on the keep it bandwagon. JJH

Back
Top Bottom