Reaction score
Folks, needing to get my GS adventure serviced
Previously used Keith Garage , but now closed down
ideally somewhere in Aberdeenshire/ North East and not JC’s
Suggestions and recommendations welcome
Cheers Stewart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the one in Inverness ?
https://www.harryfairbairnmotorrad....-xYJgLvDwLDpFj-gbZj_EK8t6jDSgEpxoCb00QAvD_BwE

Was thinking id give them a try instead of going into Aberdeen. Anyone had experience of them ?

I used to use Inverness when it was Caldertons, they had a good mechanic back then who knew the bikes inside out, think he was from Lithuania. Then he left when it went to Arnold Clark and since then the whole place went down hill. The bike sales guys are good and if you speak to them before a service they will sort you a test ride bike whilst yours is in for service, if the service dept arrange a loaner they will want paying for it.

I too then used Keith for anything I couldn't do myself and they were probably the best in the area for BMs and a reasonable price too, it was sad to see them go.

Having recently now acquired another GS that's still within the warranty period I returned to Inverness for a service last month, here's the issues:

1st There was a 6 week wait for a slot, they only have one mechanic and one ramp.

2nd the booking process is awful, takes about 20 minutes going through a whole load of irrelevant questions mostly car related before they will actually make the booking, also refuse to give you a price even for a basic service as it's a motorcycle and may require extra work??

3rd Does not matter if there is one or six bikes booked in for the day, everyone is told to have it there for 8am, if not first in you could be hanging around to 1730 depending on when they start on your bike.

4th. Upon collection it was noted on the service sheet that my rear brake pads were low and needed changing; once home i bought some new ones from an independent, pulled the old ones out and there's nothing wrong with them barely at 50% and nowhere near the bottom of the wear marker groove.

5th. There was a note on the service sheet that they could not stamp the service book as they could not find it, this set alarm bells ringing. I went back to the service reception and asked if the Tech has ever worked on a GS before, they assured me he had and was familiar with all BMW bikes. I find that strange because if he had removed the seat then he would have seen the book stored in it's allocated location as per the manual. So makes you think did the seat ever come off to check diagnostics, battery connections etc but guess they must have to reset the service indicator, perhaps he could not be bothered with the book or to look properly.

6th. Work completed on the service sheet: Annual service - oil and filter change, brake fluid change £216

Make your own mind up.

Willy Young in Elgin (Independent) can do them he has the diagnostics up to twincam for the digital wrench and from January I believe he is getting the latest version for the LCs onwards. When my warranty is up I'll do my own servicing and have Willy do the service reset or read codes etc.

I really have no faith in main dealer's workshops, they seem to struggle with the basics and their work planning is poor.

For bike sales I would happily recommend them.

I used to use Inverness when it was Caldertons, they had a good mechanic back then who knew the bikes inside out, think he was from Lithuania. Then he left when it went to Arnold Clark and since then the whole place went down hill. The bike sales guys are good and if you speak to them before a service they will sort you a test ride bike whilst yours is in for service, if the service dept arrange a loaner they will want paying for it.

I too then used Keith for anything I couldn't do myself and they were probably the best in the area for BMs and a reasonable price too, it was sad to see them go.

Having recently now acquired another GS that's still within the warranty period I returned to Inverness for a service last month, here's the issues:

1st There was a 6 week wait for a slot, they only have one mechanic and one ramp.

2nd the booking process is awful, takes about 20 minutes going through a whole load of irrelevant questions mostly car related before they will actually make the booking, also refuse to give you a price even for a basic service as it's a motorcycle and may require extra work??

3rd Does not matter if there is one or six bikes booked in for the day, everyone is told to have it there for 8am, if not first in you could be hanging around to 1730 depending on when they start on your bike.

4th. Upon collection it was noted on the service sheet that my rear brake pads were low and needed changing; once home i bought some new ones from an independent, pulled the old ones out and there's nothing wrong with them barely at 50% and nowhere near the bottom of the wear marker groove.

5th. There was a note on the service sheet that they could not stamp the service book as they could not find it, this set alarm bells ringing. I went back to the service reception and asked if the Tech has ever worked on a GS before, they assured me he had and was familiar with all BMW bikes. I find that strange because if he had removed the seat then he would have seen the book stored in it's allocated location as per the manual. So makes you think did the seat ever come off to check diagnostics, battery connections etc but guess they must have to reset the service indicator, perhaps he could not be bothered with the book or to look properly.

6th. Work completed on the service sheet: Annual service - oil and filter change, brake fluid change £216

Make your own mind up.

Willy Young in Elgin (Independent) can do them he has the diagnostics up to twincam for the digital wrench and from January I believe he is getting the latest version for the LCs onwards. When my warranty is up I'll do my own servicing and have Willy do the service reset or read codes etc.

I really have no faith in main dealer's workshops, they seem to struggle with the basics and their work planning is poor.

Right Bob thats fairly comprehensive and i wont be using them for servicing in the future for sure. I got Keith to do my GSAs first service back in the day and it was £50 cheaper than Aberdeen. I have all the diagnostic bits n bobs here to do my own servicing (GS911 etc)I have a three year warranty with my 1250 so i will probably just get them to do the annual service because it wont do the mileage thats for sure. Any intermediate servicing i will do myself.

That’s more or less the same story at JC, plus they never replaced the oil cap and I didn’t notice for 2 days
Honestly they are all pish and I will not give them my money
I’ll try out the boys in Elgin

You could try Jopps lane in Aberdeen, I was speaking to Leasky, he had both his bikes serviced there by Dennis Irvine.

Make your own mind up.

4 and 6 are pretty standard tbh.

For anyone considering contacting Dennis Irvine at Jopps Lane Motorcycles, Aberdeen (01224 636194); I have just found out that he is away until the end of the month (circa Nov 25th), having called yesterday to get new headers fitted to my XR.

Please also be aware that all related GS-911 "work" can also be addressed at a small extra cost. As has been mentioned above, I had my R9T and my S1000XR serviced by Dennis this summer and all service lights reset - obviously neither of the bikes were still within warranty.

I have no connection to the company other than having known Dennis for over 20 years; initially when he had Dennis Irvine Superbikes in Aberdeen - prior to his move to Spain about a decade ago. He and the family have now moved back to Aberdeen and he is working at Jopps Lane Motorcycles following the death of his friend who used to own the company.

Folks, needing to get my GS adventure serviced
Previously used Keith Garage , but now closed down
ideally somewhere in Aberdeenshire/ North East and not JC’s
Suggestions and recommendations welcome
Cheers Stewart

Hi Invergsa, who did you end up servicing your bike with?

I'm due a service now and on the lookout for a trustworthy garage/mechanic too! I'm in Inverness but am willing to travel. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom