Anyone Know How to Stop This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bean

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have a Nav VI and just recently it's started showing weird screens after starting apparently normally. Once the screen changes it requires powering down and restarting to change it back to normal - pushing the up/down/exit etc. does nothing. It happens roughly 50% of the time.

I've checked for updates and powered it down fully, inc removing the battery - anyone else seen this screen?

Or am i being a numpty and changed a setting?

TIA

Attachments

• 20191029_090010.jpg
    20191029_090010.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 545
It looks very similar to a mobile bios screen ,pressing the exit should reboot the device. Is the unit still under warranty?

Thank you.

Pressing the exit icon (or any of the others) does nothing.

Bought it used from a forum member nearly a year ago and been fine up until now.

I'll try resetting the device if no other suggestions come through

I take it that it only happens when the device is connected in its cradle on your motorcycle?

Start with the simplest thing first, clean the contacts on the device and on the cradle. Report back.

Id suggest renewing the battery even though its in the cradle a poor voltage from it can affect performance.

Its the start of the self test and diagnostic sccreens on all the Garmin Navs.

Its usually accessed by pressing and holding the screen about one inch in from the edge on either the upper or lower RHS for about 10 secs

If it keeps doing this on startup, the digitiser screen may have got damaged in that activation area, hence the navgoing into diagnostic mode

Warranty

If it is less than 2 years old it is covered by warranty. Take it back to BMW.

If it is older than 2 years, BMW may do a goodwill exchange.

If BMW will not touch it, Garmin will do you an exchange reconditioned unit, but this will cost you, ish, £150.

I take it that it only happens when the device is connected in its cradle on your motorcycle?

Start with the simplest thing first, clean the contacts on the device and on the cradle. Report back.

Done this already with an eraser and no difference

Id suggest renewing the battery even though its in the cradle a poor voltage from it can affect performance.

The battery holds up for around three hours without being on charge so think battery is probably fine. Maybe after exhausted all other suggestions.

Its the start of the self test and diagnostic sccreens on all the Garmin Navs.

Its usually accessed by pressing and holding the screen about one inch in from the edge on either the upper or lower RHS for about 10 secs

If it keeps doing this on startup, the digitiser screen may have got damaged in that activation area, hence the navgoing into diagnostic mode

I've not seen it on any of the Garmins/Navigators I've owned in the past. But I have just found a thread on Advrider https://advrider.com/f/threads/problems-with-navigator-vi.1273007/page-2

If it is less than 2 years old it is covered by warranty. Take it back to BMW.

If it is older than 2 years, BMW may do a goodwill exchange.

If BMW will not touch it, Garmin will do you an exchange reconditioned unit, but this will cost you, ish, £150.

Not sure, but suspect it's more than two years. I'll contact Garmin.

Thanks all for your input.

Update

I did a reset and reload of software via Basecamp and now it (seems) to switch to the normal start screen, but is totally unresponsive to finger touch, but it will respond to some of the jogwheel inputs.

However, what has happened is that the screen when cycling through the options has a permanent flicker – see attached.

The blue parts of the screen is the flicker - it doesn't disappear when cycling through the bike info screens.

I've contacted Garmin and will wait see what they say.

Attachments

• First Page.jpg
    First Page.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 520
  • Third Screen.jpg
    Third Screen.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 397
Garmin just got back. Needs replacing @ £142

Oh well.

There was no obvious screen damage and nowhere to lodge anything.

All good with refurbed replacement - quick service too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom