RT 1100 abs worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any help on this appreciated.
I recently bought the lovely high mileage RT off here. 1997 model with abs. Picked her up from Gatwick and rode home. The entire journey the ABS light flashed. Disappointing as I was told the abs worked fine. It hasn't worked since and I've done several hundred miles. Battery seems fine.
I'm not too worried about not having abs but wondered if it's a problem to keep riding with the fault? Whether I need to have it removed- and if so is it an expensive job-or just put some tape over the light so it doesn't annoy and worry me.
Thanks.

Any help on this appreciated.
I recently bought the lovely high mileage RT off here. 1997 model with abs. Picked her up from Gatwick and rode home. The entire journey the ABS light flashed. Disappointing as I was told the abs worked fine. It hasn't worked since and I've done several hundred miles. Battery seems fine.
I'm not too worried about not having abs but wondered if it's a problem to keep riding with the fault? Whether I need to have it removed- and if so is it an expensive job-or just put some tape over the light so it doesn't annoy and worry me.
Thanks.

The bike should fail an MOT with the ABS light like that.

Same happened to my old 1100RT. I got a s/h ABS unit off a workshop/breaker and had it fitted. You could try Motobins.

Could be sensor playing up. I seem to recall a reset procedure. Battery also has to be well charged and in good health the abs is very sensitive to voltage.

If you search abs removal loads of people have done it. Me twice.

Can be done for free and save 4kgs or so up high. Easy peasy job.

Thanks for the above guys. Does anyone know if it's a problem to keep riding while it's faulty?

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

The abs won't stop the wheels locking but the brakes will still have full power. So I would say...not a problem.

If you stick r1100 abs reset into YouTube take your pick
Try that first with the battery fully charged.

Thank you.

The abs won't stop the wheels locking but the brakes will still have full power. So I would say...not a problem.

If you stick r1100 abs reset into YouTube take your pick
Try that first with the battery fully charged.

What he said, I remember it simply being to ground the middle wire whilst holding a button down, but hey it was twenty years ago that I did it. Google is your friend

Cheers pal

get the bike warm, find a hill bump start the bike and see if the ABS light goes out, if it does, then you are probably looking at a voltage drop fault, which is usually the battery or the starter motor starting to munch its magnets.

Brilliant. Thank you. I will try that.

Had an 1100 RS, heated grips on, electric jacket on, head light on, in slow moving traffic the ABS would make a clanging noise as the ABS disengaged, out of the traffic more revs on the engine and the ABS would re- engage.
Put a multi meter across the battery, with engine running it should show about 14 volts switch engine off leave a few minutes if battery drops to below 12 volts your battery could be knackered

Whether I need to have it removed- and if so is it an expensive job-or just put some tape over the light so it doesn't annoy and worry me.
Thanks.

Look underneath the seat there will be a number of fuses, one of which will be for the ABS take it out, light will stop flashing, then stop thinking about :thumb :D

Haha!! Thanks that sounds like a good idea.
Now I just need to figure out why it's stopped going into 1st gear

Gearbox problems are invariably the exterior linkage, take it off and clean it properly, be very careful because it includes two ping-fuckits that you need to free the ball joints.

Also check the gear lever adjuster. This is an allen bolt with 2 settings just behind the driver footrest. I had this before where i couldnt change gear and found the allen bolt had become slack. Tightening the bolt sorted the problem.

Thanks guys

Ahhh yes the notorious gear selector that kept coming loose. Threadlock needed once you have it set. I seem to recall you can overtighten making the lever stick.

Also check the gear lever adjuster. This is an allen bolt with 2 settings just behind the driver footrest. I had this before where i couldnt change gear and found the allen bolt had become slack. Tightening the bolt sorted the problem.
Happily resolved with this solution. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom