IAM Assessment ride

Bollocks, it was an assessed ride, nothing more.

Maybe he'd enjoy It, maybe not. Hopefully he'd learn something +ve from it.

As with the IAM, RoSPA have good and bad groups, waiting almost 2 years to start training (with RoSPA) isn't much use for most people.

You really don't think, now he's been outed as an ignorant cock, the assessment will be impartial - yeah right.

Get along to RoSPA meeting. They are held every month and one of the lads would gladly have a ride out with you. Two years sounds a long time if you've tried to subscribe, but maybe look further afield from the location closest?

You really don't think, now he's been outed as an ignorant cock, the assessment will be impartial - yeah right.

Get along to RoSPA meeting. They are held every month and one of the lads would gladly have a ride out with you. Two years sounds a long time if you've tried to subscribe, but maybe look further afield from the location closest?

Hang on, I am getting a bit confused here. Who is the 'ignorant cock'? Me, for airing my disappointment and disgruntlement, or the local team member for not being very communicative, or whoever it was for complaining on my behalf without asking?

Hang on, I am getting a bit confused here. Who is the 'ignorant cock'? Me, for airing my disappointment and disgruntlement, or the local team member for not being very communicative, or whoever it was for complaining on my behalf without asking?

I was referring to the rude assessor. If you disagree he was rude in not responding, I will withdraw my comment. Reading your post, I would consider the person to be rude.

How do you pass or fail an assessed ride ? It's a taster session nothing more.

I did go elsewhere, that's how I ended up with two RoSPA diploma's, I didn't bother with the LGV one.

Some groups are better organised than others, whether it be IAM, RoSPA or the tennis club.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I did go elsewhere, that's how I ended up with two RoSPA diploma's, I didn't bother with the LGV one.

Some groups are better organised than others, whether it be IAM, RoSPA or the tennis club.

Tennis club? Do they do bike training as well then? Those short skirts... Where do I sign?

So you did the 5 day diploma course on bike and car? That is pretty impressive and costly. Are you still a valid diploma holder, as they have to be renewed?

The IAM does research on road safety and advances an agenda on that basis.

Exactly what I'm talking about, but here is an example of the IAM trying to affect social change. I would view this as a political agenda.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-m...t-institute-of-advanced-motorists-iam-/54461/

Not that I have a problem with that particular article or them commenting on matters on which they are knowledgable.

But the IAM like others blurs the lines between "club" and charity fulfilling it's objectives. Again nothing wrong with that but I would argue it has to be carefully managed to make sure those looking for social interaction do not get cajoled into being voluntary employees to meet its objectives.

Edit

"IAM RoadSmart provides for the public an advanced driving and motorcycle test, and through its research into many aspects of road safety, seeks to become a significant influencer of road safety policy and practice."

https://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details?regid=249002&subid=0

Now tell me they are not political!

Exactly what I'm talking about, but here is an example of the IAM trying to affect social change. I would view this as a political agenda.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-m...t-institute-of-advanced-motorists-iam-/54461/

Not that I have a problem with that particular article or them commenting on matters on which they are knowledgable.

But the IAM like others blurs the lines between "club" and charity fulfilling it's objectives. Again nothing wrong with that but I would argue it has to be carefully managed to make sure those looking for social interaction do not get cajoled into being voluntary employees to meet its objectives.

Edit

"IAM RoadSmart provides for the public an advanced driving and motorcycle test, and through its research into many aspects of road safety, seeks to become a significant influencer of road safety policy and practice."

https://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details?regid=249002&subid=0

Now tell me they are not political!
Tell me how it is ?

Is it advocating one political party over another ?

Its raison d'être is the promotion of road safety. I'm not aware personally of any of the main political parties having any position on road safety, let alone motorcycling.

Each IAM group is a separate charity, with it's own charitable purpose and aims, they are only affiliated to IAM Roadsmart.

Some people here know exactly who I am, and of which bike group I'm a member of.

Does the AA or RAC take part in social engineering when they partake of government initiatives ?

Is the IAM a pressure group, possibly.

Does it lobby on behalf of its members, sometimes.

Does it help develop and evolve road safety policy at a local/national/international level, yes.

Should groups be more involved at a local government level, maybe.

After all, nobody complains about all the cyclist organisations, some fund solely by the public purse, lobbying on behalf of their interests.

How do you evidence that having motorcycles in bus lanes actually makes it safer for cyclists, or that it can reduce accident rates. Only if organisations, such as the IAM, fund research.

Both MAG and BMF do work hard, at local level to raise awareness of motorcycles and their concerns and issues. MAG has a good record with aĺl party parliamentary group of motorcyclists too.

How do you influence the policy makers, the civil servants, from DVSA, trl and the like, who make the recommendations to the councillors and MP's ?

If groups such as IAM, weren't funding research to disprove certain perceptions against motorcycling, who do you think will ?

Road safety for all user's, needs to change and modify to meet the competing challenges of society and future priorities.

Why did the UKgov drop road safety targets but Scotgov kept them, which is the correct way forward and who will fund the research into assessing those outcomes, if not the IAM ?

So you did the 5 day diploma course on bike and car? That is pretty impressive and costly. Are you still a valid diploma holder, as they have to be renewed?
No, I had to head down south over a couple of weekends.

Yes, they have to be renewed, like IAM Master's.

I only did them all to prove to myself that I could, no other reason. I said beforehand I didn't care about passing or failing any of them, it was whether I was a safer and more consistent driver/rider afterwards.

I don't have any stickers on my bikes, proclaiming anything. Not even a UKgser one.

To the average L rider, I'm a riding god, compared to Marquez I'm insignificant.

As long as my standards are going ok, I'm happy.

All any "advanced" driving/riding comes down to is thinking about what your doing in advance.

Tell me how it is ?

I already have in #31....see italics

At the point a "body" external to government makes efforts to affect government (of any colour) policy it becomes political in its agenda.

Something can be political without interacting with red or blue...Surely you recognise that...in your post above you've given numerous examples epitomising my point...bizarre.

You seem to think I'm anti IAM I'm not, I actually don't care whether they lobby government tbh....I don't even care if the IAM does badger/cajole/pressurise individual into becoming assessors....fool the individual for agreeing to do something they don't want to.

What I do care about is being called out on a point of order I'm not wrong on. If you don't call lobbying government, (however well intentioned) political when I do then that's just your definition being different to mine, but if you are an IAM member defending it and making out it isn't something it is...I do object to that.

Having been an IAM member for nigh on ten years until last year, i found that, as in society there is a large and varied group of peeps, who represent all of societys different types. Most of whom were descent chaps and chapesse's. I made freinds with quite a few of them from all over the country and keep in touch via t'internet sites etc. There will always be the odd cock who is up his own arse, they exist in wider society too, so there's not much can be done about it. Move on and find another assessor who will likely be more than willing to offer you the benefit of his/her experience, having gone through the guidance him/herself in the past. Remember these peeps do not get paid for what they do and do it because they want to help fellow riders become just a little safer on the road. I enjoyed my time in the IAM and managed to rise well up the ladder, but only with the help of people who were passing on their time FOC. Dont think all groups are the same, if one doesnt suit im sure there will be another close enough to you to make it viable to do the assessment and take it from there. Del

In best Jim Carey (liar,liar) voice...."it was me"..

Not really... but by posting your beef on an open forum you kinda did give your consent since you chose to put this into the public domain for people to do what ever they wish with.

More over...you can't really expect another member to stand idly by while members who have nominated themselves as assessors dont play their part.

If the guy doesn't want to play assessor anymore then he needs to deselect himself either temporarily or permanently.

But when a "club" is actively trying to grow and members are sabotaging that through apathy or intent that needs to be addressed.

I agree. In fact I may be the cause of this. I shared the post with a former colleague of mine who’s a regional manager responsible for a large number of groups just to let him know they’re getting bad press. Turns out it’s not one of his groups and he passed it on to another former colleague of mine who I suspect has phoned or emailed someone within the group. I made no ‘formal complaint’ and left it in their hands to do whatever they thought best.

I make no apology for that I’m a member myself and I don’t think what you described is in any way acceptable. In my local group we do assessments on demand virtually although, as others have said, each is an independent group and standards vary, as do capabilities.

So if it was me who triggered the IAM to act then there was nothing formal about it. Perhaps someone else made a complaint but I doubt it. I suspect that bit’s an embellishment by somebody.

I got talking to the local IAM chaps at the Staffs Biker Breakfasts and they have persuaded me to have an assessment ride with one of their assessors. That was back in June. I have contacted them regularly since and had a couple of emails back.... finally got suggested we could do this assessment on Saturday but with no suggestion of time or meeting place. I have asked on every correspondence that the guy rings me, and reiterated my phone number... he still hasn't phoned, nor told me where to be and when..... something tells me it isn't going to happen because they all put their bikes away for the winter. My initial reading of the whole IAM thing is coming to fruition. They have two days to redeem themselves. :rob

I'll take you out for an 'unofficial' assessment ride if you want. Just PM me and we can arrange something.

I've been an IAM Member for 30 years (Car and Bike) and ride with Senior RoSPA Trainers every week, for nearly 10 years.

I'm not an instructor, as I'd rather not have the 'Associate' commitments.

But I'd be happy to see where you're at and point you in the right direction :thumb2

I already have in #31....see italics

At the point a "body" external to government makes efforts to affect government (of any colour) policy it becomes political in its agenda.

Something can be political without interacting with red or blue...Surely you recognise that...in your post above you've given numerous examples epitomising my point...bizarre.

You seem to think I'm anti IAM I'm not, I actually don't care whether they lobby government tbh....I don't even care if the IAM does badger/cajole/pressurise individual into becoming assessors....fool the individual for agreeing to do something they don't want to.

What I do care about is being called out on a point of order I'm not wrong on. If you don't call lobbying government, (however well intentioned) political when I do then that's just your definition being different to mine, but if you are an IAM member defending it and making out it isn't something it is...I do object to that.
Fleet services are the commercial wing of the IAM and members have no say in what they do.

Lobbying isn't Political, it is political.

How do you think motorcycles got granted access to bus lanes, or that the stupid Dutch roundabouts got knocked on the head. Lobbying, by providing evidence, from research, that the benefits from allowing motorcyclists to use bus lanes was +ve. That the roundabouts would increase likelihood of accidents.

What of the mother, who pushed and cajoled, and got motorcycling included in the theory tests for cars, what was that ?

I've been an IAM member for over 20 years, and have no problem in criticising them, as well they know.

As for what happened with the assessment ride, there could be lots of valid reasons why it wasn't followed up, and a myriad of excuses why it wasn't.

It does present a bad image of THAT group, is it representative of the IAM overall, I hope not. It leaves a bad taste for anyone interested in progressing their riding though.

To suggest that because the assessor, has been reminded to do what they're supposed to, means that they would fail someone, isn't my personal experience. Quite the reverse, they'd go out of their way to try and make ammends.

There is no “Fail or Pass” its do you meet the standard required ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If, it's an assessed ride, or as we call it up here Ridescotfree there is only feedback, they follow you then you follow them.

Also, if someone is going for a pretest run, my expectation always is, that they are at the required standard and should pass, why are they there othewise. You don't set people up to fail, we're not adi's !

Back
Top Bottom