IAM Assessment ride

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I got talking to the local IAM chaps at the Staffs Biker Breakfasts and they have persuaded me to have an assessment ride with one of their assessors. That was back in June. I have contacted them regularly since and had a couple of emails back.... finally got suggested we could do this assessment on Saturday but with no suggestion of time or meeting place. I have asked on every correspondence that the guy rings me, and reiterated my phone number... he still hasn't phoned, nor told me where to be and when..... something tells me it isn't going to happen because they all put their bikes away for the winter. My initial reading of the whole IAM thing is coming to fruition. They have two days to redeem themselves. :rob

Firstly, it shouldn't happen but it can do. Not naming a localish group to me

Too err is human but to really fuck up you need a committee.

Often there's special offers available around Christmas time, for the full IAM course.

I would say that Bike safe is probably a better option than an assessed ride. Training of any kind, to improve your riding, is well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sorry, I’m chuckling as I’ve literally just hit SEND for an eMail saying “Thanks for a few rides, but I’ll pass on the test”.

The IAM nuances and the confusing (double) messages I encountered over a dozen rides, including 2 different second opinions, left me cold.
Literally freezing yesterday so the bike got SORNed last night.

I’m too old to argue any more. Roll on 2020.

Good luck.

An interesting development. This morning I got a text from the poor chap who was charged with doing my assessment. Someone on here has made a formal complaint without my knowledge and it has been escalated to HQ. I had no intention of making such a formal complaint and fo rsomeone to do it without my knowledge is very underhand and, quite frankly, rude. I don't know who it was, I don't really want to. How about asking me if I wanted to complain formally before doing it on my behalf? Had I not heard I wouldn't have made a complaint, I would simply have shrugged it off and given up the idea as I would realise that they simply don't want my sort in their ranks. Consequently, the plans I had set aside so as to be available this Saturday have gone to waste.

I don't think I shall bother with the IAM now, not if this is how they carry on behind the scenes. Unbelievable.

In best Jim Carey (liar,liar) voice...."it was me"..

Not really... but by posting your beef on an open forum you kinda did give your consent since you chose to put this into the public domain for people to do what ever they wish with.

More over...you can't really expect another member to stand idly by while members who have nominated themselves as assessors dont play their part.

If the guy doesn't want to play assessor anymore then he needs to deselect himself either temporarily or permanently.

But when a "club" is actively trying to grow and members are sabotaging that through apathy or intent that needs to be addressed.

In best Jim Carey (liar,liar) voice...."it was me"..

Not really... but by posting your beef on an open forum you kinda did give your consent since you chose to put this into the public domain for people to do what ever they wish with.

More over...you can't really expect another member to stand idly by while members who have nominated themselves as assessors dont play their part.

If the guy doesn't want to play assessor anymore then he needs to deselect himself either temporarily or permanently.

But when a "club" is actively trying to grow and members are sabotaging that through apathy or intent that needs to be addressed.

I had no idea it was a club - I thought the IAM was a road safety organisation.

Some may argue differently.... it has a political agenda and it lobbies accordingly but it's a club for people who like to ride according to the "system".

Much like the Trf which is a trail riding club which engages in legal action against local authorities...as and when the need arises....as well as other good stuff I may add

Some may argue differently.... it has a political agenda and it lobbies accordingly but it's a club for people who like to ride according to the "system".

Much like the Trf which is a trail riding club which engages in legal action against local authorities...as and when the need arises....as well as other good stuff I may add

I don't go for rides with anyone else. They tend not to be going where I am....

I had no intention of making such a formal complaint and fo rsomeone to do it without my knowledge is very underhand and, quite frankly, rude

I think that sums up IAM.

You guys seem like fun at parties.

As with all volunteer run organisations (which the local IAM groups are) there are well meaning buffoons (aka knobheads) and then there are those who give a better level of service. It appears you've been dealing with a group represented by the former category which is a shame as the majority are pretty professional in their attitude and offer a good training and support despite not being paid (with the exception of meagre expenses)

I'm nothing to do with IAM...but carry on...

You are right! I misread your message above - apologies.
Anwyay, wouldn't agree that someone following up with a 'formal complaint' after someone rants on a forum would be the best (or nicest) course of action within the organisation.

Just to say, I've had contacts with a few IAM members (I was interested in it for a while) in the last years and they all seemed to match King Rat's commentary of what happened. But I also agree that you cannot really judge a large group of people from meeting just a few. So I'll just be a bit suspicious of "them" :D

Charities aren't allowed to do politics, it's unlawful.

The IAM does research on road safety and advances an agenda on that basis. How much, or little, the average member has over that is between none and sfa, in my experience.

You'll not get a pass in any case, now he's been called out.

Go RoSPA - great bunch of lads!
Bollocks, it was an assessed ride, nothing more.

Maybe he'd enjoy It, maybe not. Hopefully he'd learn something +ve from it.

As with the IAM, RoSPA have good and bad groups, waiting almost 2 years to start training (with RoSPA) isn't much use for most people.

Back
Top Bottom