Not what you want to see.

Correct, but you can still destroy them by over revving
I seem to recall maximum piston speeds of about 27 metres per second. Not many engines will handle any faster before something big, bad and expensive happens.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Correct, but you can still destroy them by over revving
I seem to recall maximum piston speeds of about 27 metres per second. Not many engines will handle any faster before something big, bad and expensive happens.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yes your correct, but they do rev a fair higher than a conventional spring return valve type.

As a matter of interest, if you had the misfortune to wreck a 1200 wet head engine, could you fit one of the new 1250 engines into the older wet head bikes. ? Or would it be not possible, or would it be doable?

You would need to change the harness and Ecu and possibly a reprogram for all the peripheral serial numbers

Not necessarily better, just a little more Idiot-Proof....:aidan:augie

Oi ! I resemble that remark :p

Something else DrFarkoff mentioned I'd like to clarify, he mentioned pulling the clutch in was a silly thing to do, is that because the rev-limiter won't cut in if the clutch is engaged or was it more that the engine in gear would have provided more resistance ?

RBW.

Wow, so springs can't react quick enough which makes sense. I've hit a few false neutrals using my quickshifter on my Ducati 899 and the revs skyrocket into and past the usual redline (I had one last weekend), does the desmodronic valve design mean that they shouldn't suffer the same as no springs involved ? :confused:

Seeking to understand.

RBW.

Desmos mechanically shut the valves so valve timing should be safe - however over revving could still stress the components beyond their design limits.

Something else DrFarkoff mentioned I'd like to clarify, he mentioned pulling the clutch in was a silly thing to do, is that because the rev-limiter won't cut in if the clutch is engaged or was it more that the engine in gear would have provided more resistance ?

RBW.

While the bike is in gear and engine is engaged with gearbox, that would tend, i think to help stop the engine from over reving due to the loads imposed on it via the drive train. But maybe not.:augie:D

RBW.

Suddenly unloading the engine when it is going balls out is never going to end well.

Hey Steppers What Did you Find in there ??

Evidence of some heavy duty ping feckiting ... valve head embedded into the piston .. needed new piston, but a used head and barrel - destroyed a piston ring compressor fitting the new piston. It’s a tiny slipper piston and the barrel has a deep skirt. You can’t fit the piston into the barrel and then slide it onto the conrod as you can’t then fit the gudgeon pin as the piston is so shallow.

Attachments

• 7DC9E659-BF6B-4B9E-8064-71DA4ECC42A3.jpg
    7DC9E659-BF6B-4B9E-8064-71DA4ECC42A3.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 563
  • C2D1F7CB-930D-4353-A159-EB4AEE5214AA.jpg
    C2D1F7CB-930D-4353-A159-EB4AEE5214AA.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 549
  • CD5E2823-A27C-4F29-A45F-2BC31DE79CBD.jpg
    CD5E2823-A27C-4F29-A45F-2BC31DE79CBD.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 516
  • D2736BB2-5F9A-4506-A6FE-6582FD8EAE6C.jpg
    D2736BB2-5F9A-4506-A6FE-6582FD8EAE6C.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 558
3 valves right royally fubarred lol

Was the 4th intact?

Some impressive battle scars on both head & piston :eek:

Blimey. I guess that's what happens when it all goes awry!

Is it me, or are those the letters "DE" in the piston, last shot? A message from the engine. It wants to go back to mamma

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I guess that's what is known in the trade as "proper fucked".

Shiny new piston

Attachments

• 9D00CA8E-CE4D-415D-BC7C-539A100FF483.jpg
    9D00CA8E-CE4D-415D-BC7C-539A100FF483.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 485

Back
Top Bottom