R1250GS reliable or not !

acaffair

Reaction score
Have myself a new R1250GS. Coming from FJR1300's I'm wondering if all the poor reliability posts applies only to an unfortunate few???
My wife and I travel all over Europe each year for around 4-5 weeks at a stretch and so far never had any sort of problem.
QUESTION.
What recommendations do you have for me when travelling with the GS or stop worrying and drive it like your Yamaha's " trouble free" without
any precautions?

Well, you've bought it now and most of the issues (if any) tend to raise their head early on, so get out on it now and see what's what.

Plus, BMW have a good dealer network and European breakdown cover is included as a back up.

All said, you'll be fine.

Ice grey GSA 1250 here....11,000 since Jan this year, perfection and trouble free miles :okay

Enjoy :rob

TD

Have myself a new R1250GS. Coming from FJR1300's I'm wondering if all the poor reliability posts applies only to an unfortunate few???
My wife and I travel all over Europe each year for around 4-5 weeks at a stretch and so far never had any sort of problem.
QUESTION.
What recommendations do you have for me when travelling with the GS or stop worrying and drive it like your Yamaha's " trouble free" without
any precautions?
Always wear a condom ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The burning question is this to all 1200 & 1250 LC owners.

Would you be entirely happy to use your BMW for a 6/12 month tour in the more remote parts of the world with no warranty or breakdown cover traveling solo? Or would you prefer a Honda or Yamaha?

Personally i could not trust the BMW and it would my last choice.

Now i would trust a BMW 1150 so that says how the reliability of newer bikes are perceived.

I’ve done 34k on my GSA in 3 years all touring.

Hasn’t missed a beat.

Ride on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you be entirely happy to use your BMW for a 6/12 month tour in the more remote parts of the world with no warranty or breakdown cover traveling solo? Or would you prefer a Honda or Yamaha?

Now i would trust a BMW 1150 so that says how the reliability of newer bikes are perceived.

Honest answer?

Suspect not but to be fair on that sorta ride I'd want something cheaper and lighter and reliable and/or fixable or am I getting a bit giddy with my imagination, riding over poor old Stans and all that jazz:confused:

I use mine for road touring and bloody good it is too.

No probs so far..................

In those circs I’d take my Honda to be honest.

But mainstream GS every time

Had my Exclusive since April 5k miles UK and continent it’s been perfect!

Had my Exclusive since April, 5k UK & abroad it’s been perfect!

A properly serviced hexhead or early tc, yes without a doubt. 18K miles in a year on the GSA, apart from a problem with rear brakeline bursting (could have happened on any bike I suppose) nothing went wrong.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I have toured europe on FZ750 x 2, CBR6 x 2, VFR, R6, DL650, gSXR750 and GS1200LC x 2. Never had a break down on any of them.
Only breakdowns have been in the UK, the VFR and the DL650 both failed rectifyers.
So the GS is no worse than any other bike.
you hear lots of negative stories bacause there are lots of GSs out there.
More people get bitten by labradors than any other dog.

QUESTION.
any precautions?

Breakdown cover is all you need - I’m on my 5th 1200GS since 2005 and they have never broken down, had a few punctures but they have ‘never failed to proceed’ when called upon. Stop worrying.

Plus the GS is bigger and thus ideal for running over and attacking Labrador.

Win Win

I feel that if you did what you say it would be wiser on a smaller bike , even one that not listed as it could be a locally made bike to which the locals can fix . Travelling alone with no cover is a bit unwise tho .
A friend rode across India once , bought an Enfield at the port , rode it for4 months , sold it on when he left , but the point I make is it was repaired by anyone , as it was the main stay of local transportation. Halfway through he had the engine rebuilt by the local handy man in the hill side village , make do and mend until he got to a larger town .Even a Yam etc would be difficult to get parts .
Me I ride in places that have roads , hotels and are covered by assistance .

I have just accepted that modern bikes stuffed with electronics are going to be less reliable than those with less. I've got recovery and just ride. If it happens again and again, then I'll look at it but so far my problems haven't been bad enough to make me drop the brand.

I am also well aware that in worldwide reliability tests etc, the four Japanese manufacturers fare better. One problem: they don't make a GS equivalent!!!

QUESTION.
any precautions?

12k in mine from March 1st other than it eats tyres not missed a beat! Love it

Back
Top Bottom