R1250GS reliable or not !

lots of people,myself included, contact forums when things start going wrong.If you look on the FJ owners club forum its full of similar posts from folk who have had problems with fjr's. I ride fjr's regularly for the blood bike service and they are a brilliant bike and go like a scalded cat,comfortable, reliable and offer better weather protection than my gsa but.. if the Yamaha goes wrong your on your own as the dealers aren't anything like as good as bmw and having done a day wobbling about on a heavy fjr the gsa is a delight to ride home on...just ride yer bike and enjoy it,if it all goes tits bmw will look after you far better than Yamaha can

There's not much goes wrong with Yams is there lets be honest however, I'd hate to have a bm out of warranty, not quite the reliability I'm after, others may be absolutely cool with it.

There's not much goes wrong with Yams is there lets be honest however, I'd hate to have a bm out of warranty, not quite the reliability I'm after, others may be absolutely cool with it.

You can extend the warranty after the 3 years , some may think its not that good but a riding mate claimed after his post factory warranty bike (2013 lc) went bang , fitted a new engine for him.
Which is more than other manufactures do.

No that wasn't mine, Both my FJR'S and Z1000SX were wrapped up and spoilt. LOL. Seems there are really touchy reply's to my post. Guess I'm not a BMW Fanatic ( machine for purpose person) and only asked for advice should I run into a problem, and before anyone jumps on my case , the reason for buying the GS is the low centre of gravity which because of my age , I found the FJR getting to top heavy when fully loaded.
I heard of the BMW quality issues before purchasing the bike but was spoken round with the 3 years guarantee.
Now I don't want anyone getting concerned for me, lol I'm a retired timed served mechanic :blast lol lol

You haven't been here long. I have read every single post, right through to 'Bimbo' and I have not seen any sensitivity within the replies, just the usual Tosser insensitivity that makes this place so much fun. As for being touchy, there are endless topics within the 'Beakchat and Bollox' section that deal with identification issues.

Enjoy your trip. A BSA Empire Star would be a better choice mind. :beerjug:

So out of 48 replies (half of which are just banter) we've had One bike burst its brake lines, one on its third set of callipers (and has been in the dealer for four weeks) and one broke down on tour and then the petrol cap wouldn't open a week later ..???? !!!

But hey .... You've got a great european dealer network right .... :confused:

So out of 48 replies (half of which are just banter) we've had One bike burst its brake lines, one on its third set of callipers (and has been in the dealer for four weeks) and one broke down on tour and then the petrol cap wouldn't open a week later ..???? !!!

But hey .... You've got a great european dealer network right .... :confused:

And a 3 year warranty . What’s not to like !

Out of interest how much does it cost to extend the warranty ?

The burning question is this to all 1200 & 1250 LC owners.

Would you be entirely happy to use your BMW for a 6/12 month tour in the more remote parts of the world with no warranty or breakdown cover traveling solo? Or would you prefer a Honda or Yamaha?

Personally i could not trust the BMW and it would my last choice.

Now i would trust a BMW 1150 so that says how the reliability of newer bikes are perceived.

Er, yes.Been riding GS/As since 2006 had 1150, 1200 and now a 1250 covered a total of nearly 100k miles between the lot of them and never had a break down. Ride, tour and enjoy the complaints you hear in hear are the minority compared to the number of units sold....

Er, yes.Been riding GS/As since 2006 had 1150, 1200 and now a 1250 covered a total of nearly 100k miles between the lot of them and never had a break down. Ride, tour and enjoy the complaints you hear in hear are the minority compared to the number of units sold....

Well said that man :bow:thumby::D

I’ve been round the houses with bikes and what ive realised is, every brand has its worries and insecurities. My 1290. Electrics TFT failures, my tiger ex gearbox failures. My africa twin. Everything rusting. My beemers, shift rot. They’re all shite. Just pick one you like the most.

Back
Top Bottom