R1250GS reliable or not !

Being new to this forum, I find it hard to get a good opinion at the moment, so much information, hard to figure out what is real, and what is just hearsay.

Being new to this forum, I find it hard to get a good opinion at the moment, so much information, hard to figure out what is real, and what is just hearsay.

Simbo, on most forums, you’ll get a lot of doom and gloom. People find it easier to moan and complain than compliment things when they are good.
Someone on here had a dead battery on a new bike, which the dealer sorted within 2 days, but he had such a moan as if it was a life changing experience.
It was an electrical component that failed, not his £20k bike :blast

Yes, you’ll get many dud bikes from the thousands that are sold worldwide. Be it BMW, KTM or any other… they all will have issues, some bad but most just annoying little things. Shit happens.
BMW offers a 3 year warranty which is great and they do look after there customers when there are issues. If it is really bad, you can refuse the bike.

My 2014 R1200GSA was bloody awesome and my only gripe was the clunky gearbox. But it never gave me any problems whatsoever. I now have a R1250GSA and once again, no problems at all and what a great bike.
It had a few vibrations early on but that’s almost gone now after 4k miles. No corrosion, paintwork is great and nothing is falling apart.

I can’t praise my local dealer, Lind WGC, enough. Everyone from reception, parts or sales have treated me well and always up for a chat when I pop in for a coffee and doughnut.
This kind of after-sales service I never received from Yamaha after buying three R1s and one R6.

I don’t think you get really poor bikes these days but if you have some sort of issue, it all comes down on how you are looked after by your dealer to get it resolved.
Yes, my R1250GSA is reliable and I am a happy BMW customer :thumby:

A very astute summary of motorcycle ownership these days. I had loads of problems with a Multi 1200 when they first came out in 2010. Lost bike for a month when it was only 1 month old with computer system failure, back brake only lasted 2 weeks after bleeding, exhaust valve seized & replaced twice, Dealer was good but Ducati were hopeless.

Had 3 LC GS/GSA’s since. The first in 2013 had a few problems but the attitude of BMW was totally different. Replacement engine at a cost of over £6K, as it had a 2” dia blister where the water pump overflow came out!!! BMW even gave me a goodwill payment of several hundred pounds for servicing/parts etc because of my problems that I didn’t even ask for. And even now I have a 1250 Rallye with 3 yrs warranty. How many other manufacturers are as supportive?

Take what you read here with a pinch of salt. I've owned nearly a dozen GS's, and haven't had any major issues with any of them. Not even the corrosion that people have suffered on here. Internet forums will blow stuff out of proportion.

I've moved to KTM, and am on my second. No issues with those either. I'll probably get a Ducati next, as I'm feeling daring. :D

Back
Top Bottom