Heated Vest or Heated Jacket?

RikPing

Reaction score
I am an all weather rider but try not to go below 0 degrees. In the past I've just layered up often looking like and feeling like the proverbial Michelin man. So after many years of being in denial about heated clothing I am about to succumb. Having done a bit of research it appears that Keis or Gerbing vests/jackets are the popular choice. My question is one of comfort really as I don't like too many layers in the arms. Can I get away with a vest for more comfort or would that leave my arms cold? Any advice from experience heated vest users appreciated.

I have a BMW heated vest (bought at a sale price) which is not bulky and does warm my core but not the arms. I also have a Gerbing jacket but in order to accommodate that I had to buy another outer jacket one size larger than I usually wear. This very problem is discussed by Motolegends in their new video on the Warm and Safe gear - particularly the heated base layer which they do. Have you considered that option?

I would definitely recommend “Warm and Safe” gear. Lacking in bulk and so avoids the so called Michelin Man effect. Excellent heating in arms and neck. Jacket could double as a decent casual jacket if required.
So much better than it’s competitors. In my humble opinion of course.

Thanks Fellas, I had seen warm n safe gear previously from Riderz.co.uk in wales looks good gear if a bit pricey. The research continues ...

Warm n safe, warm n safe, warm n safe!!! Not bulky, shiny material that allows outer jacket to move freely without snagging, sensible collar that is also not bulky (Gerbin run wires in there's to heat the neck, sound principle but in practice makes the collar far too bulky). Combined with their infinitely variable wireless controller you really can't go wrong. Yes it's much more expensive than a Keis vest but.........IMHO worth every penny. I use mine from October to March (Used in the alps in May this year), doesn't always get switched on but it's there just in case. Doesn't matter whether it's -4 or +10-14C all I wear is a long sleeved T shirt, heated jacket and a Klim overland. Warm N dry whatever the weather. Mine is 5 years old, never had a problem.

I’ve only ever used a heated waistcoat (BMW) I’ve used it in -4 but also in warmer days when I just had a T-shirt heated vest and a rally jacket - That was good for rides that went from chill to warm - I don’t recall thinking 'shit' my arms are cold

.... My question is one of comfort really as I don't like too many layers in the arms.....

Can I get away with a vest for more comfort or would that leave my arms cold? Any advice from
The new electric jackets are very efficient and not bulky.

Will they be too bulky for you, as opposed to me? Who knows. Go and try some on. If you find they are awesome or even just not too bad, great. If you find them not what you like, try the heated vest. Will your arms be too cold in the vest? Again, who knows. You’ll find out. If they are, remind yourself again exactly why you did not buy the jacket and wonder if you really did make the right decision. You’ll know, I’m sure.

PS I am also sure that you’ve worked out that most bods using an electric jacket take the conventional liner out, reducing bulk in the arm area.... and around the gut....

The new electric jackets are very efficient and not bulky.

Will they be too bulky for you, as opposed to me? Who knows. Go and try some on. If you find they are awesome or even just not too bad, great. If you find them not what you like, try the heated vest. Will your arms be too cold in the vest? Again, who knows. You’ll find out. If they are, remind yourself again exactly why you did not buy the jacket and wonder if you really did make the right decision. You’ll know, I’m sure.

In one :D

The first sentence is the clincher though......... I've just replaced my aging Aerostich heated jacket with a Keis jacket which is as thin as a 3 season jacket liner. In our current weather it's too hot, even on it's lowest setting, and you don't know it's there it's so thin :)

Andres

Another vote for Warm 'n Safe here. Excellent gear and not bulky. I have their jacket liner and glove liners plus a two way wireless controller. Highly recommended.

If I was buying new today, I would probably get the heated base layer as it gets the heat even closer to your body.

Somewhat expensive - but the key is to find the best online price you can and then ask Motolegends to price beat it by 10% which they will do happily.

Well just got back from tying a mates Gerbing jacket on. He swears by it and he a daily commuter but then again he hasn't tried anything else. A little too much going on in the neck and sleeves area for me. I wont know about a sleeveless vest till tried it on riding the bike the bike in cold weather. So I'm warming to the Warm & Safe base layer. £175 quid for a base layer + Controller … hmmm ... that'll be me with the silent treatment and no sex for a month ! again !

The point about the heated jackets is that one is easily able to plug in heated gloves at the end of the arms.

Sometimes the temperature setting of the jacket will match perfectly to the required glove temperature, at other times the gloves will be not quite warm enough. I try to juggle the base layers so that the temps match.

If this approach fails then I use a separate temperature controller for each garment.

Hope this helps.

NB One can plug gloves into a heated vest as well, but requires wiring to be fed down the arms. Of course you can also use battery-powered gloves.

So many choices.....

I did a bit of research (fuck all actually-think I copied Giles !! ) and have just bought a Keis V501 and a few power cables so I can use on different bikes.
Not used it in anger yet as I bought a size too big and now waiting for the replacement to turn up. It needs to be snug to get the full benefit of the heating elements.
But they certainly seem well made and easy to operate,with the optional 3-way heat controller.
I did toy with a jacket (ie with sleeves) but I've read that they can interfere with gloves etc and I think the waistcoat will be enough as its the core part of the body that is important to keep warm.

Heated gear is my 1 item I wish I'd bought a long time ago.
I have a jacket but if buying again I'd buy a waistcoat.
The heating in the arms isn't really necessary and you have ports for powering gloves in the arm hole still on vests. Keis do anyway.
The heated collar is nice when it's very cold but I'd happily live without it.
The heated jacket sleeves can ruck up in some outer jackets. If just a waistcoat you can wear this over a baselayer then add fleece if necessary to insulate the heat further. You can't really do that with a heated jacket.

I have a vest with a controller on, went to the Elefantentreffen Rally in February of this year.

Didn't have it turned on full, more than hot enough and not bulky.

had a keiss jacket and a vest.

prefer the vest with no collar. less bulk and as others say the central core is the bit to keep warm. As my bike has heated grips all is good :D

I have a vest with a controller on, went to the Elefantentreffen Rally in February of this year.

Didn't have it turned on full, more than hot enough and not bulky.

That is hard core. On your say so sir, I will now give the vest a blast

The point about the heated jackets is that one is easily able to plug in heated gloves at the end of the arms.

Sometimes the temperature setting of the jacket will match perfectly to the required glove temperature, at other times the gloves will be not quite warm enough. I try to juggle the base layers so that the temps match.

If this approach fails then I use a separate temperature controller for each garment.

Hope this helps.

NB One can plug gloves into a heated vest as well, but requires wiring to be fed down the arms. Of course you can also use battery-powered gloves.

So many choices.....

With the Warm 'n Safe kit (and probably all the others as well) you can get a dual controller that lets you set jacket and glove temperatures independently. Works perfectly.

Warm’n’safe is the way to go. Comfortable fit, with some stretchy stuff, all the other are too bulky, plus the remote control is excellent.

Tried Keis and gerbring but they are too bulky and the controllers kept breaking.

Expensive but mines 10 years old now (and amazingly still fits!).

Mrs Berin commutes 60 miles a day year round and hers is still going strong after 6 years of daily use.

https://www.motolegends.com/warm-and-safe-heated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Warm n Safe, thin, flexible and super warm. Had my Gen 4 liner 5 years now and it’s fantastic.

Warm’n’safe is the way to go. Comfortable fit, with some stretchy stuff, all the other are too bulky, plus the remote control is excellent.

Tried Keis and gerbring but they are too bulky and the controllers kept breaking.

Expensive but mines 10 years old now (and amazingly still fits!).

Mrs Berin commutes 60 miles a day year round and hers is still going strong after 6 years of daily use.

https://www.motolegends.com/warm-and-safe-heated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Keis 501 couldn’t be less bulky !!!

Back
Top Bottom