EURO 5 on the doorstep

Status
Not open for further replies.
So seeing as I'm the only one to have asked a technical question in a technical section, anybody care to answer it :nenau

Or maybe it's beyond those in here? Best stick to 'how to fit a side stand camel toe' and 'where are the cheapest LED spots available from' so I can make my awesome steed look like a fucking Christmas tree :kissy2

Andres

Mmmmmmm, thought not.

Best stick to bunging loads more useless bling on your awesome Goldwings, ooops sorry, GSs :thumb2

Andres

So Euro 5 is on our doorstep 1st January 2020, I wonder what surprises BMW has in store for us, what will work, what will not work new software upgrades possibly, emission lockdowns etc, fire away with your thoughts.

The biggest effect is that cat-delete headers will likely throw an error code and possibly a nasty warning light on the instrument cluster because they’ll start using the rear O2 which they’re not yet checking. And if BMW is true to form, they will kindly update everyone’s software, breaking all those 1250 headers that are already installed.

Heck, maybe they’ll catch all the disconnected exhaust flaps too.

The biggest effect is that cat-delete headers will likely throw an error code and possibly a nasty warning light on the instrument cluster because they’ll start using the rear O2 which they’re not yet checking. And if BMW is true to form, they will kindly update everyone’s software, breaking all those 1250 headers that are already installed.

Bugger that, i will stick to just fitting my awesome with the "useless bling" Acrapovic euro 3 can then.

But overall it’ll mean we are less likely to tinker with our bikes eh? It’ll also mean IMHO that the older pre Euro 5 bikes will be more valuable mebbe?

I have noticed the fume collector now strapped to several bikes - I saw one on a new R9T and the dealer didn’t even know what it was!

Progress eh? Mmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But overall it’ll mean we are less likely to tinker with our bikes eh? It’ll also mean IMHO that the older pre Euro 5 bikes will be more valuable mebbe?

I have noticed the fume collector now strapped to several bikes - I saw one on a new R9T and the dealer didn’t even know what it was!

Progress eh? Mmmmm

Fume collector ?

Progress eh? Mmmmm

Modifiers will have to be even more clever. And IMO riders will want mods verified to work.

I’ll be hanging onto my 2017 for a while

Fume collector ?

Yeah, and I’m kinda guessing here but if I spout enough crap (no news there then) you ‘may’ just get an idea (or someone else will) of what I’m trying to describe. Here goes......

The item itself looks cylindrical and, I’m guessing, is 100 to 150mm long and fastens to the sub frame close to the rear wheel well. It has a pipe going into it.

I’ve asked two owners prior to the dealer and both where clueless.

From what I can gather it’s an emissions item, taking and holding the vapours from the filler (when opened) - that’s my best guess and of course I bow to everyone who puts me right!

Yeah, and I’m kinda guessing here but if I spout enough crap (no news there then) you ‘may’ just get an idea (or someone else will) of what I’m trying to describe. Here goes......

The item itself looks cylindrical and, I’m guessing, is 100 to 150mm long and fastens to the sub frame close to the rear wheel well. It has a pipe going into it.

From what I can gather it’s an emissions item, taking and holding the vapours from the filler (when opened) - that’s my best guess and of course I bow to everyone who puts me right!

That'll be a 'carbon' cylinder, long fitted to Merkin spec bikes. I hadn't realised they were part of Euro 5 over here :nenau

Easy enough (on the Merkin spec bikes) to just disconnect and remove (sometimes worth bypassing the SAS in conjunction with that).

Andres

That'll be a 'carbon' cylinder, long fitted to Merkin spec bikes. I hadn't realised they were part of Euro 5 over here :nenau

Easy enough (on the Merkin spec bikes) to just disconnect and remove (sometimes worth bypassing the SAS in conjunction with that).

Andres

Thanks fella! There we go!

Another bloody useless bit of rubbish to strap onto our bikes, made totally pointless as the first old diesel bus/truck/Harley :) drives by!

Soz, rant over

So the said pipe comes from the engine crankcase and acts like a breather then ? then pipes it back into the combustion chamber or the exhaust ? Just wondered. CANCEL THAT !! Andres has come to the rescue :augie:D

Modifiers will have to be even more clever. And IMO riders will want mods verified to work.

I’ll be hanging onto my 2017 for a while

Exactly my Thoughts Roger, tis why I through the spanner out, but those in the pub, cannot understand, technical and fish and chips. :D

Andres
Thought you were a hippy who cared about the environment

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom