World Vespa Day Portugal

delamitri

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have been in contact recently with some lads I used to do scooter rallies with in the 80s, so have not seen them for over 30 years. The scooter club (junction 13) is still going strong and they still get together quite often, moved away from Guildford area a long time ago so not too convenient to meet up
Went to Vienna to a Vespa weekend when I was 18 and it was awesome, mainly the getting there and back

Anyway the 2020 weekend is just outside of Porto in July, have booked the same return crossing as them from Bilbao on the 9th July and am planning to ride through France to meet them on the Friday, probably to St Malo

I have always done Spain via Santander or Bilbao, am gonna give myself 4 to 5 days to get from St Malo to Porto and would appreciate any tips on good roads and places to see en-route, don't intend to touch any motorways. I do have maps and a computer so I will be thinking for myself, just personal experiences I think are the way to go, lots of time to get there so don't even mind going a little out of my way if it's worth it

They did invite me to go down with them but could see that getting a bit frustrating, I know scooters have come on a bit since my days and I think they are all 300ccs going to Portugal but I don't think my new 1250s gonna enjoy that

Going to leave Porto on the Monday and head to the Picos for a few days before the ferry on the Thursday

Cheers

World Vespa event on a beemer... Filth :barf

Get yourself a cheap GTS sorted and ride with them :thumb

Rode scooters since the 80's until the last few years, great times, but that ships passed now.
Although did try a 300 scooter for a tour of the highlands , what a laugh, very frugal, comfy and will hit motorway speeds easily.
As Q plate has said buy a cheapo and join them, may even do it myself, :okay:beerjug:

Rode scooters since the 80's until the last few years, great times, but that ships passed now.
Although did try a 300 scooter for a tour of the highlands , what a laugh, very frugal, comfy and will hit motorway speeds easily.
As Q plate has said buy a cheapo and join them, may even do it myself, :okay:beerjug:

Did think about that!

I get to do one good trip a year and paying all that money for a 1250 GSA and then buying a scooter to go touring doesn't make a lot of sense really, i'm sure the misses would have something to say about that too

Vespa world days is a big international scooter event, and worth a visit if you still have an interest, The ride through france and spain will be fun,
not sure i would go on my beemer unless staying nearby and going in for the craic without the bike, and meet the scooter lads there, then have a laugh on the ferry going back,
The gts300 go pretty well but its a different ride , some riding buddies did the czech event this year putting in a 600 mile day coming home,
I did the france one on mine, it was a great laugh,

Back
Top Bottom