New R80ST owner from Devon.

jimbow

Reaction score
Hi, just acquired an '83 R80ST to join my '05 F650GS that I've owned for 11 yrs. Also have: '75 Suzuki T500 that has to go to make room for the ST; '80 XS650 owned 15 yrs; '69 Triumph Trophy T100C; '03 Bonnie T100; '01 Kawa W650 & '05 Suz DR250XC traillie, owned from new. No Hondas but one day maybe.
So, a few bikes but I needed something I could use for the classic rallies in Northern Spain, 2 up. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who enjoys riding pillion & it felt mean to go off on the Piston rally last year without her, especially as the dates cover our anniversary & her birthday. My lovely XS650 has no luggage capacity so an Airhead seemed the obvious answer.
Haven't ridden the ST yet but the motor sounds very sweet. Got a list of jobs to do as it has hardly been ridden in the last 10 yrs so will be getting on with that over the next month or so. Haynes manual is in the post but I'm likely to need help from the forum. One essential job will be to sort the side stand which I can't reach from the seat & self-retracts with a vengance.

Hi, just acquired an '83 R80ST to join my '05 F650GS that I've owned for 11 yrs. Also have: '75 Suzuki T500 that has to go to make room for the ST; '80 XS650 owned 15 yrs; '69 Triumph Trophy T100C; '03 Bonnie T100; '01 Kawa W650 & '05 Suz DR250XC traillie, owned from new. No Hondas but one day maybe.
So, a few bikes but I needed something I could use for the classic rallies in Northern Spain, 2 up. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who enjoys riding pillion & it felt mean to go off on the Piston rally last year without her, especially as the dates cover our anniversary & her birthday. My lovely XS650 has no luggage capacity so an Airhead seemed the obvious answer.
Haven't ridden the ST yet but the motor sounds very sweet. Got a list of jobs to do as it has hardly been ridden in the last 10 yrs so will be getting on with that over the next month or so. Haynes manual is in the post but I'm likely to need help from the forum. One essential job will be to sort the side stand which I can't reach from the seat & self-retracts with a vengance.

Welcome and hope you enjoy the forum. I am pretty sure you will get good advice here, well worth the subscription! Subscriber can post photos and you might need that when you get stuck into the the bike!

Welcome on board and the chaps in the airhead section know everything so you’ll never get stuck. You have a great selection of bikes and your choice of ST looks a good one for your travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the welcome - 1 more quickie

the bike has the original metal plug caps - do people bin these for NGK or are they ok?

I’m still running mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One essential job will be to sort the side stand which I can't reach from the seat & self-retracts with a vengance.

They all do that Sir :D

Welcome Jim & congrats on the ST. They seem to be a lovely bike. Not as nice as an 80GS you understand but still lovely :thumb

An '80 XS650!
I had a '74 XS2 and I hope your frame is stronger than mine was!

Welcome, we need more airheadcases here!

The R80 engine can be really sweet, I hope you really get to enjoy it.

Just a quick and easy one - if it has not been done, add a cable tie around the speedo cable at the end where it enters the gearbox. In many cases, rainwater or spray runs down the cable and easily gets past the loose rubber shroud and into the gearbox. A cable tie fastened around the top of the shroud stops mother nature diluting your oil.

Have fun.

Thanks for the speedo cable tip - my rubber cover is not loose (prob gone hard with age) & I'd already slathered some grease around the top to keep water out. Trying to fit a braided front brake hose now but can't seem to separate the bottom fixing from the metal pipe. Also: clutch lever is pretty heavy - is that normal or do I need a new cable or more lube down what is probably the original? Throttle has a notchy action too - normal or best to replace cables?
Thanks!
I'll take my queries over to the proper forum from now on.

Back
Top Bottom