New XR

The 1000RR is stunning but the XR is lacking something.

Yeah ... it’s that old ‘soul’ thing again. For me it’s quite a characterless bike, it does everything very well but somehow it just doesn’t talk to me !!

No idea what he says as can’t be arsed to watch

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-n6Em9jGfXc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the journalist wasn’t thrown off and killed !

First vid review

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ljsd9vSMpo?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not that old " Vibes " bollox again, Only thing needed was a rubber washer under the risers or even bar end weights and not all bikes suffered from it ( allegedly )
Talking of Journalists thrown off ? was there any closure on this regards fault. Not the conspiracy theories of which we are all aware .
Yes I also like the wet cement colour , It looks good in the flesh if anything like the latest bike from Zero which uses similar .

Not that old " Vibes " bollox again, Only thing needed was a rubber washer under the risers or even bar end weights and not all bikes suffered from it ( allegedly )
Talking of Journalists thrown off ? was there any closure on this regards fault. Not the conspiracy theories of which we are all aware .
Yes I also like the wet cement colour , It looks good in the flesh if anything like the latest bike from Zero which uses similar .

I’ve tried 3 different XRs and owned one briefly (impulse purchase) - after 100 miles on the first proper run I couldn’t feel my fingertips, toes and much around the hip area, all due to debilitating vibes. I tried HVMP bar ends and subsequently tried a model with the anti-vibe rubber bar mount and didn’t see any improvement. They were less apparent when riding stop start but on a constant throttle it was terrible (I’ve owned 4-cylinder Hondas and Suzuki’s, all smooth with very little vibes). Shame as it went like stink and the seat was more comfortable than a GS.
I don’t understand why the shiftcam wasn’t used - the excuse of the XR engine not needing it doesn’t wash. They’ve used similar technology on the GS, which is hardly a race bike.

I’ve tried 3 different XRs and owned one briefly (impulse purchase) - after 100 miles on the first proper run I couldn’t feel my fingertips, toes and much around the hip area, all due to debilitating vibes. I tried HVMP bar ends and subsequently tried a model with the anti-vibe rubber bar mount and didn’t see any improvement. They were less apparent when riding stop start but on a constant throttle it was terrible (I’ve owned 4-cylinder Hondas and Suzuki’s, all smooth with very little vibes). Shame as it went like stink and the seat was more comfortable than a GS.
I don’t understand why the shiftcam wasn’t used - the excuse of the XR engine not needing it doesn’t wash. They’ve used similar technology on the GS, which is hardly a race bike.

I had a 16 plate one did 6k miles in 6 months, there was a very very slight vibey area in the mid rev range but I bought cymarc bar ends and it went away.

I found it ballistic and did virtually everything well but just too meh to look at and a bit bland even by bmw standards, could have been a jap bike. Preferred the 14 plate early GS I had before, should have kept that and saved myself some money but there was that early bandwagon and I got hooked in.

Why is the shiftcam suddenly the be all and end all? :nenau

I had a 16 plate one did 6k miles in 6 months, there was a very very slight vibey area in the mid rev range but I bought cymarc bar ends and it went away.

I found it ballistic and did virtually everything well but just too meh to look at and a bit bland even by bmw standards, could have been a jap bike. Preferred the 14 plate early GS I had before, should have kept that and saved myself some money but there was that early bandwagon and I got hooked in.

Most people that complained about vibes weren’t riding the bike in the way BMW intended. They were GS riders that sit on motorways, or maintain the same speed, normally in the range where the vibes were reported. I never noticed them on mine, as I was having too much fun to sit at the same speed. :D

It looks like they've ironed out all the things that were wrong with the old one, suspension,lights,tpm missing.The only negative comment I've heard was about the heated grips again.!
Looking forward to riding one

Why is the shiftcam suddenly the be all and end all? :nenau

It’s not, but maybe it would improve the slow speed snatchiness and fuel economy. It seems odd that they seem to have gone with it on all the boxer engines and the RR but not the XR. If the vibes and overly heavy clutch have been sorted the new bike would be tempting as the actual ride quality and feel of the engine is much more my thing than the boxer engine.

Most people that complained about vibes weren’t riding the bike in the way BMW intended. They were GS riders that sit on motorways, or maintain the same speed, normally in the range where the vibes were reported. I never noticed them on mine, as I was having too much fun to sit at the same speed. :D

GS riders that sit on motorways ?
I think you’ll find even non GS riders occasionally use motorways/autobahns/autoroutes to make progress just to get to the fun stuff.
To release a bike that has nasty vibes in the rev range that equates to 70-85mph is piss poor.

I think you’ll find even non GS riders occasionally use motorways/autobahns/autoroutes to make progress just to get to the fun stuff.
To release a bike that has nasty vibes in the rev range that equates to 70-85mph is piss poor.

I think thats the point though, they werent ‘nasty’vibes, they were minute, a 300rpm range on a bike revving to what 12,000.

You likes being a drama queen dont ya!!

Agreed I’ve gone from a 12GS to an XR. Noticed the vibes on the ride home on a the boring motorway collection. Since riding it properly in Wales vibes aren’t any concern I have fitted evotech bar ends.but what a bike can’t understand why if you have no intention of going off road why you would ever bother with a GS. The XR DOES EVERYTHING BETTER!!!!

It all depends what you want from a bike - I went from 1200GS to XR and now back to 1250GS. The XR is great (and I never noticed an issue with vibes at all) but personally I find the GS is more comfortable with better weather protection and better range whilst handling is plenty good enough. I also happen to prefer the power characteristics of the boxer engine, especially now with the shift-cam, and the convenience of shaft drive.

Fuck me its the Morcambe and Wise of UKGser, dedicated to running down the GS. Who would have thought it :rolleyes::blast:D

You enjoy it really. :D

Yup your probably correct, i take great pleasure out of the fact that neither of you own a 1250 or ever have, Problems, yes they do have some but in the end the mothership will sort it out FOC to the owners.:p:blast:D Ohh and BTW my oldest son has just bought a factory lowered XR. Hes vertically challenged in the leg dept, just like his old man. :blast:augie:D

Yup your probably correct, i take great pleasure out of the fact that neither of you own a 1250 or ever have, Problems, yes they do have some but in the end the mothership will sort it out FOC to the owners.:p:blast:D Ohh and BTW my oldest son has just bought a factory lowered XR. Hes vertically challenged in the leg dept, just like his old man. :blast:augie:D

Any pictures?

Splendid :beerjug:

Any pictures?

Oh bugger, i just deleted a whole load of pics yesterday off my Mac. However if you want a couple i can easily get them.

This is a pic of what he has although its not his bike.
49631466928_215eb11d43_c.jpg
[/url]

Back
Top Bottom