Wild Camping in England

I’d recommend going into the village itself.

V pretty place.

Horses for courses but hanging at the bridge with other bikes not my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabby...it's not as easy as it is in Scotland. You tend to be OK out of sight, away from farm land, but there's not many opportunities. Bivvying is OK (i.e. tent up at dusk, away at dawn) on the more remote mountain areas.... Lots of great places for wild camps in Scotland, but very few here...

Lol thats larf, when i was up at glen Etive a few weeks ago, it was like a camp site, the number of tents down by the water lol

Lol thats larf, when i was up at glen Etive a few weeks ago, it was like a camp site, the number of tents down by the water lol

Glen Etive is a victim of it's own success. I remember a few of us camping there years ago, long before Bond, James Bond ever went near it, nowadays it heaving, which is a shame but expected. Wait til the new Bond film comes out, you'll hardly be able to get down there for folk after it.

Great stuff, next question would be where or a suggestion of where.

Been a few years since I've been down there but vaguely remember it.

Steptoe’s answer to that is always..... It’s not wild camping if you camp to a plan.

I’ll give you one place NOT to do it: Beatrix Potter’s garden

Steptoe’s answer to that is always..... It’s not wild camping if you camp to a plan.

Interestingly enough, been thinking about that very thing and thought, just go with the flow, so that's the intention but some good pointers is always a help.

Wast Water looks decent from what I see on street view.

West side of Coniston.
I’ve used open area there, and never had an issue at all. Gtreat place.

It isn't clear from your comments as to whether you need to camp next to / near your bike or whether you are going to park up and hike further and need to camp away from the bike.

Wastewater has a superb YHA at the western end, fabulous spot, cheap bed and hot shower. Between there (it says 'lodge' on the map, unless updated!) and the Wasdalehead Hotel there are plenty of flat areas, but it is very boggy.

If you keep your eyes open as you ride, there are loads of places you can pull in late, hang a tarp or hammock between a couple of trees, or even pitch a tent. Derwentwater car parks, there are spots within 50 yards of where to leave the bike.

Looking up Wastewater...

Attachments

• DSC_5104.jpg
    DSC_5104.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 370
Indont really "get" wild camping.
You need to shit In the countryside if needed. Whenever I've been in a nice area and you can see people have been wild camping there is used bog roll and shit just left everywhere along with other rubbish people just can't be bothered to take with them. It's disgusting.
Because of a knackered right ankle I can't easily squat down to shit in the countryside anyway, I can't even use those hole in the ground loos you get in France because of it.
I'd rather have the option of having a nice shower. And somewhere to either buy some food or snacks as well.
When in Europe I usually only pay about 7-10 euros a night for a campsite so can't see the point of roughing it if it's just to save a few quid.
If I can't find a campsite then I would rather find a cheap hotel.
Each to their own I guess. It must be nice waking up somewhere isolated and peaceful I suppose. That's the only advantage I can really see.
It just bffles me.

Indont really "get" wild camping.
You need to shit In the countryside if needed. Whenever I've been in a nice area and you can see people have been wild camping there is used bog roll and shit just left everywhere along with other rubbish people just can't be bothered to take with them. It's disgusting.
Because of a knackered right ankle I can't easily squat down to shit in the countryside anyway, I can't even use those hole in the ground loos you get in France because of it.
I'd rather have the option of having a nice shower. And somewhere to either buy some food or snacks as well.
When in Europe I usually only pay about 7-10 euros a night for a campsite so can't see the point of roughing it if it's just to save a few quid.
If I can't find a campsite then I would rather find a cheap hotel.
Each to their own I guess. It must be nice waking up somewhere isolated and peaceful I suppose. That's the only advantage I can really see.
It just bffles me.

The point is to save money.
if you think £15 is cheap to stay on a site fine...multiply that over all the night in a year, and its the price of a brand new set of panniers and top box!
if your travelling and just need somewhere to get your head down, why pay someone for 2 meters of grass?

Arrive in a secluded spot as its going dark, pitch tent, sleep, pack up at 6am and leave no trace.
if you hiding your bike near a road, remember to cover reflectors..... otherwise your pride and joy lights up like a Christmas tree when a car goes past lol

if you think £15 is cheap to stay on a site fine...multiply that over all the night in a year, and its the price of a brand new set of panniers and top box!
if your travelling and just need somewhere to get your head down, why pay someone for 2 meters of grass?

Arrive in a secluded spot as its going dark, pitch tent, sleep, pack up at 6am and leave no trace.
if you hiding your bike near a road, remember to cover reflectors..... otherwise your pride and joy lights up like a Christmas tree when a car goes past lol

Yes it is cheap for a nights stay. If you think it's expensive then why travel at all. After all a days travelling and I've already spent 40 quid on fuel and the odd snack and drink along the way.
A couple of weeks touring and about 10 euros a night for a campsite each night. Around €150.00 you could pay almost that for one night in a hotel. Anyway what I mostly said was I'd rather pay a little to have the convenience of toilets and showers as well as possibly a shop or restaurant. There is also a little bit of security in being on a campsite when travelling on your own.

I'd never viewed wild camping as simply a way to save money, moreover getting away from any crowds (and especially now, all the bell ends that have taken up camping with an Argos Festival Tent Camp set up)

I'd never viewed wild camping as simply a way to save money, moreover getting away from any crowds (and especially now, all the bell ends that have taken up camping with an Argos Festival Tent Camp set up)

Exactly my thoughts, and I specifically pic a place hopefully no one can see me.

"otherwise your pride and joy lights up like a Christmas tree "..... certainly does! I found a nice spot in Switzerland off a small road in the mountains. What I didnt take into account was the bike reflectors and more of an issue the illuminous guy lines and trim on the Coleman Phad tent. Might as well had LED lights as it was very visible which ended up with a early morning visit just as I was leaving .

"otherwise your pride and joy lights up like a Christmas tree "..... certainly does! I found a nice spot in Switzerland off a small road in the mountains. What I didnt take into account was the bike reflectors and more of an issue the illuminous guy lines and trim on the Coleman Phad tent. Might as well had LED lights as it was very visible which ended up with a early morning visit just as I was leaving .

Ooh, go on....tell us more....

Back
Top Bottom