Wild Camping in England

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
I'm thinking of the lakes area next year for a few days but ideally wild camping, so my question is, what exactly is the story with wild camping in England and in particular the lakes area ??

TIA

To the letter of the law it is illegal except on certain areas of Dartmoor. However, if you use common sense, pitch late - leave early, leave no trace it can be done almost anywhere. Discretion and common sense are the key

Cabby...it's not as easy as it is in Scotland. You tend to be OK out of sight, away from farm land, but there's not many opportunities. Bivvying is OK (i.e. tent up at dusk, away at dawn) on the more remote mountain areas.... Lots of great places for wild camps in Scotland, but very few here...

I'm thinking of the lakes area next year for a few days but ideally wild camping, so my question is, what exactly is the story with wild camping in England and in particular the lakes area ??

TIA

Never had any problems or know anyone that has. Well apart from a neighbour who insisted on pitching a tent in a lakeside car park :blast

Follow the eitiquette in the link below and you'll be fine

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/where-to-stay/wild-camping

Great stuff, next question would be where or a suggestion of where.

Been a few years since I've been down there but vaguely remember it.

Torver common is quite nice And i once found a brilliant spot up above walna scar but that was many many years ago

Also quite a few spots on the eastern shore of Coniston water

This brought back memories. In the sixties four of us drove from London up to Blyth on the Northumberland coast in a beat up 1936 Austin 10, cable brakes and all!
We camped on Blyth beach, little did we know we were doing wrong. The local attendant got rather upset with us and told us to move on. We managed two nights before we left.
Those were the days, wouldn’t dream of going that way in such a car these days.

Tom

You could also have a look at Angle Tarn, Sprinkling Tarn and Styhead Tarn, three of my faves.

Anywhere up on the Langdale Pikes, you can find somewhere out of the wind and near a water source, if you need it. At the end of Red Tarn is quite nice, near Pike o' Blisco

As said above, Seathwaite Tarn, behind Coniston is good and enough space for a group of you. You may also consider Blea Water (just east of High Street), or Grizedale Tarn down from Helvellyn.

I've high camped at all of these locations many times without any issues. Nobody is coming up at 8pm to collect camp fees!

The only evidence of your stay should be some flattened grass and all will be well. Have a great trip.

West side of Coniston. About 1lm south of the Bluebird Cafe.

I’ve used small open area there, met locals and never had an issue at all.

I totally agree with the post regarding the etiquette link.

Locals kids had photo taken on bike and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West side of Coniston. About 1lm south of the Bluebird Cafe.

I’ve used small open area there, met locals and never had an issue at all.

I totally agree with the post regarding the etiquette link.

Locals kids had photo taken on bike and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful of pissed and hungry Kiwi's bivvying in the nearby woods :aidan

That's a great attitude on the Lakes website - good for them.

I have always favoured coming off the high ground and into woods. If you can cope with a poncho rather than a tent, forests are warmer, dryer and you're out of anyone's way.

Back
Top Bottom