Fancy an R1150RT... Not 100% sure why...:)

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've developed a early winter trawl for an 1150RT... What's wrong with me...:eek:

I sold 1100/1150's for a couple of years at a BM place and still have a soft spot for the RT... Over the years BM wise, I've had 4x11GS's, K100, K1100LT's, K75LT, R80RT and R100RT and R and R1200RT hex, and rode all the range when selling them in the early 2000's, usually as company bikes...
My R12RT hex was a good bike with all the toys but didn't quite light me up... I've also had sports bikes before BM's, Other mid and big bikes during BM's and latterly an ST11 and ST1300, now as a sole bike...

I am 6'5" and for some reason, can't get totally comfy on the ST13... It's a great bike that does most of what I want but the screen set up, even with other screens, can't get my neck comfy for long runs... One of the best fairing's I had was on the oilhead RT's...

I know they're now a bit old, were never the quickest, but they were great bikes to tour, do the twisties and even filter... Are my "rose tinted" memories shite or am I still right...

Yeah, I could blow a wad on the latest tackle, but I don't... All bikes for cash and mine wholly and I like ordinary, untarted, non pose bikes that are for riding, not impressing the cafeista...:rolleyes:

Please tell me I'm seeing sense or talking complete crap...:eek:

You need to think back carefully as to why the early hexhead R1200RT did not "light you up". Is that because the rocket-ship K1300GT was around to provide the necessary thrills?

I moved from an R1100RT to a 2005 1200RT and they were night-and-day different (and finally i was happy! - so much smoother). I did not think the 1150RT was worth the extra money over the 1100RT.

I am not going to dissuade you from an 1150RT, but how about considering a 2007-on 1200RT? Surely not that much more expensive?

Final thought - if the R1100RS was released in 1993, then the oilhead engine must have started on the drawing board in around 1988!

I loved my 11rt and imho the engine is much sweeter than both my single and twin spark Gs's. Though I always preferred the headlight on the 1150rt and the bar mounted buttons rather than cockpit is better.

The 12rt looks a big...of course making it a fabulous tourer. The 11xx's look a little more streamlined.

I'd have either another 11xx rt tomorrow if space wasn't issue. To he honest I prefer an Rt to a Gs but offroad would be a problem.

My 1150RT Twin spark was my favorite bike of all time. I like my Wethead a LOT, but my 1150RT was a bike that always made me feel good when I rode it, and when I walked away from it, I always looked back and fancied taking it out again. No other bike has done that for me.

Agree with post 2 re 1200 being more refined... I'm either needing to try a twincam or just take less power... I had my hex hilltopped as I found it weedy in the midrange where I expected torque... Less so on the 1150 as I was probably expecting less... TBH if it was power related then my ST13 beats all the pre LC boxers but its about balance and feeling the right shape on the bike... There are very good value hexheads about but they're less proven for miles and are a little more stretched out... Also the build is a little iffy in places... Oilheads are proven mega mileage bikes and easier to fix n tinker with being pre canbus... Still thinkin...��

Not rose tinted at all I agree with much of it. 1150RT was for me probably one of the best pottering bikes ever made... and quality product. Unlike today, where quality is apparent but not deep.

Not rose tinted at all I agree with much of it. 1150RT was for me probably one of the best pottering bikes ever made... and quality product. Unlike today, where quality is apparent but not deep.

Quality....... I bought mine at 3 years old from a Doctor ,when I took the fairing off I thought it lived in the sea ,not beside the sea ,as for servo brakes don’t get me started BMW should have been in court over that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 1150RT Twin spark was my favorite bike of all time. I like my Wethead a LOT, but my 1150RT was a bike that always made me feel good when I rode it, and when I walked away from it, I always looked back and fancied taking it out again. No other bike has done that for me.

Never looked back on mine , yes a great bike to do 500 miles but if somebody nicked it I wouldn’t have cared , now my
Ducati St3s that I could look at all day.

I ended up buying a 53 plate in late November 2019... It's not as good a bike as my ST1300 in a few ways but I love it... It vas a very clean 30k miler and until the recent virus hiatus had covered another 3k winter miles and was looking pretty grimy... Been doing basic servicing throughout this even though it came with a decent record and being a bit time positive at the mo, have just had the gearbox off to check mainly the input/clutch splines... Mine were dry but wear free so just putting it back together again for the trip to the shops at the weekend...:)

Will also change the fuel filter while I'm in there... It's been a great winter bike and is a bit of a slow tractor after the ST but just "fits" and is a better balanced bike than my old R1200RT. Like has been said... Instantly forgettable and forgotten for the majority of scrotes and modern BM owners who want all the toys, bells and whistles to float their boats... I always own my bikes and have only been annoyed at having to keep expensive bikes clean or wondering why this fiddly bit or that doesn't do what it should so am far happier on really good older bikes that I can park anywhere and sail down the road without the comparisons on where I'm at in the BMW dealer free coffee pecking order...;)

If the abs unit is still alive do a brake fluid change , getting hold of a funnel with the special screw top thread is a pain in the backside but the job itself is straight forward.

I've developed a early winter trawl for an 1150RT... What's wrong with me...:eek:

I sold 1100/1150's for a couple of years at a BM place and still have a soft spot for the RT... Over the years BM wise, I've had 4x11GS's, K100, K1100LT's, K75LT, R80RT and R100RT and R and R1200RT hex, and rode all the range when selling them in the early 2000's, usually as company bikes...
My R12RT hex was a good bike with all the toys but didn't quite light me up... I've also had sports bikes before BM's, Other mid and big bikes during BM's and latterly an ST11 and ST1300, now as a sole bike...

I am 6'5" and for some reason, can't get totally comfy on the ST13... It's a great bike that does most of what I want but the screen set up, even with other screens, can't get my neck comfy for long runs... One of the best fairing's I had was on the oilhead RT's...

I know they're now a bit old, were never the quickest, but they were great bikes to tour, do the twisties and even filter... Are my "rose tinted" memories shite or am I still right...

Yeah, I could blow a wad on the latest tackle, but I don't... All bikes for cash and mine wholly and I like ordinary, untarted, non pose bikes that are for riding, not impressing the cafeista...:rolleyes:

Please tell me I'm seeing sense or talking complete crap...:eek:

Milleplod is selling a cracking 1200RT on this very site. Check it out!

Milleplod is selling a cracking 1200RT on this very site. Check it out!

A couple of post back I had said I'd bought an 1150... Now very well serviced inc gearbox off for spline and clutch check...:) I saw his 1200 and they're good bikes... I had an 08 for a while and liked it and had some good trips... I am perfectly happy with my 1150 now and bought it mainly as a former salesperson, I remembered what a good fit they were for me at v tall... For that reason it's the best bike I have had recently... Ergonomically spot on for me...:thumby: And still a very well built bike that my later ownership experiences said that BM were tailing off a little...

I bought my 1150 years ago...shares the garage with a GS and a BSA Lightning...its a great bike used every winter and wet shitty summer days. I got it with 10k on it and it now has 70k...no major problems just routine servicing...without a doubt one the best all round motorcycles I've ever owned in over forty years of riding :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom