2010 R1200GS Adventure - project - and some questions!

Deleted account 230327001

Reaction score
Hello. Firstly thanks for such a great forum. Loads of really useful info that will help me massively with this project bike. Hope to be able to give something back to the forum/community with what I get up to.

A few weeks ago got this 2010 Adventure at a real bargain price. All the right bits on it, ESA, full akrapovic system, touratech bits and bobs, sat nav, full luggage, BMW service history and only 40k miles.

Been parked up for a few years, definitely not under cover and has clearly been subject to all weather conditions! Needs a proper, proper going over to get it back to a decent roadworthy condition.

2b5bfc88f5e3fc0bf113bafac3d41441.jpg

I have stripped it back to give it a proper clean and inspection which is ongoing....

I have done;

Oil & filter
Air filter
Spark plugs
Valve clearances
New SBS pads front and rear and cleaned callipers
Changed the brake fluid and bled brakes
Changed the clutch fluid
Gearbox oil
Final drive oil

It’s running nicely. With the exception of the red ‘brake failure’ light on the dash which doesn’t disappear when I pull away. Not sure if this means the ABS unit has gone U/S as I don’t have a diagnostic scanner.

981b69a2b6c076b6c41757a675bf341e.jpg

The rear subframe is quite rusty but there doesn’t seem an ‘easy’ way of whipping it off so going to leave that for now. The engine casings were properly corroded. I tried dipping, blasting and powder coating then but they still look a bit shit.

Before

470b4bd119a43e5160765e5c2d3acada.jpg

After

bc5813363dee29fae1bba12837db162e.jpg

The timing cover is as bad. So that’ll have to come off at some point but it’s not a mega simple one either.

The exhaust is a nice stainless akrapovic system but was quite rusty. Removed and a quick polish with a rotary attachment has brought it up nicely. Can’t be bothered to do any more!

b8ae9332e71c18dd86d3d2c9780f80d7.jpg

852fbbf2e663c3aba8832dadbcc8e8f5.jpg

I am also having the fairings sprayed grey as not a fan of the yellow to be honest

Couple of questions;

Has anyone had any experience with the cheap Chinese valve covers off eBay? Do they fit okay?

Any recommendations for the Brake failure light?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The abs problem is stuck brushes in their holders in the ABS motor. Give the black cylinderical part (shown in your picture) a gentle tap with a toffee hammer or large screwdriver handle to free them up

The abs problem is stuck brushes in their holders in the ABS motor. Give the black cylinderical part (shown in your picture) a gentle tap with a toffee hammer or large screwdriver handle to free them up

Just give it a whack?! Does this really work?? How can I tell if it's successful?!

Just give it a whack?! Does this really work?? How can I tell if it's successful?!

Tap, not a whack :D. It’ll work, sometimes permanently, sometime temporarily. Costs you nothing to try it.

Tap, not a whack :D. It’ll work, sometimes permanently, sometime temporarily. Costs you nothing to try it.

I have visions of him swinging a 2lb lump hammer , and parts flyying across his garage lol

I have visions of him swinging a 2lb lump hammer , and parts flyying across his garage lol

would probably make the abs unit work better / more reliable if he hit it (twice or more, much much more)

Well it’s all finished. MOT’d and ready to go. Still got an ABS light on but hopefully will get that sorted. She’s looking a lot better than before and ready for the year ahead.

89bd13f29ec3552225f18239f400509b.jpg
3a0d0d4e8df67774db8d740fb058c72c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you get it through an MOT with the ABS light on?

My tester told me its an automatic fail when i took mine in

I want to know how the tapping not bashing went ? Re the bushes in the ABS motor.......:D

The bike looks very good, bye the way.....:beerjug:

Valve covers have changed from your previous black respray effort (which I thought looked quite good) - did you replace with new?

I want to know how the tapping not bashing went ? Re the bushes in the ABS motor.......:D

The bike looks very good, bye the way.....:beerjug:

Haha I ended up buying a GS911 in the black friday sale and the fault code pointed towards the front ABS sensor which I swapped for a new one but no success at clearing the code yet. A few gentle taps were tried but nothing more haha.

Valve covers have changed from your previous black respray effort (which I thought looked quite good) - did you replace with new?

Yeh I found some OEM covers in good nick on eBay for about £40 so went with them instead as the black ones just didn't have a very good finish due to so much pitting of the metal - they were good from a few feet away but up close just looked shoddy. Will keep as a spare set. I also bought some chinese ones off eBay but they were SHIT SHIT SHIT! Really really surprised at how rusty the engines/subframe can get on these bikes! Fairly poor paint finish I have to say.

Its turned out very well for such a cheap GSA MU. Needs a wheel refurb which is next on the to do list. Doesn't seem too difficult to rebuild a spoked wheel so might give it a go myself. Also the rear brake, despite passing the MOT roll test, is just so poor compared to other bikes im used to. Not sure why. Its got new pads, new fluid, all cleaned pistons etc and the disc is within spec but brake power is pretty dross. Tinkering to come...

This shows how bad the corrosion was. Rest of the engine isn't as bad but still fairly shot

IMG_0032.jpg

That is a lovely Job on that, would love to know where you got the tank sprayed and grafix kit?

Bought the tank cover and fender second hand in white, not sprayed

Back
Top Bottom