Motorcycle Live

“I met a guy from Scotland once, Jimmy something. Do you know him?”

They used to say it was six degrees of separation and with the advent of social media, I reckon it's more like three degrees. There was also a study in the USA a few years ago that concluded that, on average, everyone in America is only three handshakes away from the president. I've got a friend in Oklahoma whose parents had Clinton at one of their parties when he was in office so it sounds about right. On that basis, it's maybe not as daft as it sounds.

Surely you'll both be wearing kilts, and have a set of bagpipes on your shoulders? Shouldn't be too hard to spot. :p

Personally I like to blend in when south of the border as our shandy-drinking neighbours are easily startled by the sight of the magnificently pale and hairy Scottish knee. My usual outfit consists of top hat, plus fours, and a random football shirt. For maximum effect I will be sporting a monocle and drinking only Carling.

I even learned some of the language, I find they like that we’ve made the effort.

Personally I like to blend in when south of the border as our shandy-drinking neighbours are easily startled by the sight of the magnificently pale and hairy Scottish knee.

Fuck it - I'll be in full Highland Dress then. :hrh

Fuck it - I'll be in full Highland Dress then. :hrh

Shirley, you'll both be wearing leathers and will pause, only briefly, to pick the dead flies from you teeth as you stroll through the entrance?

Shirley, you'll both be wearing leathers and will pause, only briefly, to pick the dead flies from you teeth as you stroll through the entrance?

What a waste of dead flies, have you seen the price of food at the NEC? That’s lunch!

I buy my Shoei helmets at the shows (usually 30% off as HGB and Helmet City go head-to-head) and collect from the bricks and mortar store, where I can get it fitted properly.

There can be good deals on last year's Dane clothing at the Gerbing stand. There is also an unbelievable amount of tat.

Rukka is perpetually discounted at Infinity.

There is good touring/holiday section if you like that sort of thing. Can get some useful inspiration to add to the amazing tales on this forum.

An "advance" weekend train ticket from London to the NEC is £11.20 return, so I don't bother to drive/get cold.

Decided i wanted to go next thursday so i asked the boss for a day off and he said no chance. He said if i didn't tip up for work that day i needn't bother coming back so i told him to fuck off and stick his job.
Shortly after my neighbour popped her head over the fence and asked why i was taking to myself.
I'm still going :thumb2

Decided i wanted to go next thursday so i asked the boss for a day off and he said no chance. He said if i didn't tip up for work that day i needn't bother coming back so i told him to fuck off and stick his job.
Shortly after my neighbour popped her head over the fence and asked why i was taking to myself.

Lazy fecker get some work done :D

Get a cheap flight to Stuttgart and visit the two Louis shops, one of them is their discount end of line warehouse with some superb savings

Are you still going? :D

Are you still going ?:D

We covered the entire show yesterday, to beat the Monday 'press day' rush - it was quite quiet other than on our stand, where the free prosecco and bacon sarnies were being well received. Trophies and cheques to the winners handed out, we then walkabout... I didn't find a Guzzi stand. It was noticable how many electric bikes there were, it was also interesting talking to the guys on the Norton stand and asking about the financial situation - 'we have made a monster' was the reply, a pile of orders that they can't fulfil... to be fair, the modular engine parts idea is a good one and the 650SS superlight is a work of art, even if it might not last long: carbon frame, swingarm, wheels with a supercharged engine producing 175hp.... in 150kgs all up. I don't think my skills are up to taming a beast like that! It will be interesting on Monday - apparently a group of disillusioned depositers are turning up and going to handcuff themselves to the bikes and imovable objects on the stand and stay there until their money is returned.....

A much reduced show, the travel section is only about 10 stands... the car boot sale section is half the size it used to be. If I didn't have to go for work I wouldn't pay to go.

Back
Top Bottom