R9T - Oil Consumption - Advice Please....

jgk1459

Reaction score
To all you R9T owners, a question if I may.....

My 2016 with 5500 miles on the clock is using around 1000ml / 1000 miles.

Do I need worry?

What are your bikes using, if any?

No sign of smoke and no leaks evident on the garage floor. Performance seems fine, petrol consumption is around 50mpg, according to the computer thingy, which seems perfectly acceptable.

Many thanks.

jgk

I also have a 2016 R9T with about 3k on the clock but she doesn’t appear to be using anything out of the ordinary between services.

I have had a few older R series bikes who used oil up until about 30k miles.

It was serviced in June this year - I assume BMW used the recommended oil.

I've been topping up with BMW Advantec Pro 15W-50. Given the approved used warranty I thought it best to stick with their oil to save any questions should it go bang!

Cheers

It was serviced in June this year - I assume BMW used the recommended oil.

I've been topping up with BMW Advantec Pro 15W-50. Given the approved used warranty I thought it best to stick with their oil to save any questions should it go bang!

Cheers

ok,well that will be the correct oil.well as i am sure you have heard it a few times ,but all boxer engines seem to like a drop of oil until fully run in,and it has been said that can be anything up to ten thousand miles,i cant really comment on my r9t as i have probs only done about 500 miles since buying from a good bloke on this site

My 2018 R 9t uses a fair bit ,
it has used 1 1/4 litres in 2700 miles, that is since the first service,
I have had a previous tc gsa and 1150 that used a drop but they do vary so not overly concerned ,
I haven't been overly gentle with it, but not whipped it from day one as some suggest, so expect it may settle with more miles,

Wife’s 9T Pure has now around 5800 miles on the clock. Last year while on a trip to and from Tuscany (circa 3k miles) it used around 1100-1200ml of oil.

I thought she was doing her pre ride checks but clearly not, as I randomly looked at the bike parked up and noticed there was hardly any oil could be seen through the sight glass. Ended up picking up some oil from Yamaha/Hardley Dealer in France. Great service from those guys even the technician filled it up for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a chap who has been moaning like fuck about his 2014 R-Nine T and oil consumption since day one of ownership. He's moaned so much that one particular dealer in the south told him never to darken their door again :D

Two weeks ago, whilst on a complaining trip coming back from another dealer the motor launched itself, so his oil consumption problem is now cured and to quote Tommy, from 'Snatch' "It's proper fucked"

I'm sure yours will be fine :thumb2

met a guy at FWR tyres recently who didn't check his oil level (he said there was no oil warning light on the dash ?). Anyhow, it blew up. No help under warranty, took BMW to court. Lost. Lost the bike and now rides a different bike. We did laugh at him for not checking but also felt sorry for him as it was under 3000 miles...

Strange how different they can be, my 14 plate has never used a drop.

If you have the warranty, ask the dealer.

Thanks for the replies - there does seem to be a variance with these engines.

I have indeed contacted my dealer who is very helpful. They are offering to run a test - fill the engine with a known amount of oil, I ride for 1000 miles then go back to be refilled. They can then assess and make a claim if consumption is above threshold. They do, however, like the bike to have done at least 6000 miles but mines close enough that they're happy to run the test.

This seems very sensible to me.

But.......its always good to get the views of many rather than the few - hence the posting to you learned lot.

Thanks.

jgk

Thanks for the replies - there does seem to be a variance with these engines.

I have indeed contacted my dealer who is very helpful. They are offering to run a test - fill the engine with a known amount of oil, I ride for 1000 miles then go back to be refilled. They can then assess and make a claim if consumption is above threshold. They do, however, like the bike to have done at least 6000 miles but mines close enough that they're happy to run the test.

This seems very sensible to me.

But.......its always good to get the views of many rather than the few - hence the posting to you learned lot.

Thanks.

jgk

Audi did this two years ago with my A3 and I ended up with a completely rebuilt engine to address a known problem. Since then it has consumed no oil at all and it's now 10 years old. Sounds like your dealer is doing the right thing by you, you just have to hope your bike isn’t the only one and it’s a known issue. Perhaps a bad batch of piston rings associated with a specific range of engine numbers as my Audi was.

Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

The oilhead engines can use oil when revved. My 1200RT would use oil when thrashed up and down the mountains all day on holiday, but did not use much when ridden conservatively.

I think the dealer is doing the right thing.

If you bought the bike used, are you sure it was run in correctly ?
If too gently they can tend to use more oil and take longer to bed in.
I have been in this situation a couple of times and have completed the running in process so to speak, by allowing the motor to freely run through most of the rev range, with the result that oil consumption increases initially, but then settles.

GSite - yes, I bought it used with 3200 miles so I have no idea how it was run in. Given its condition I would suggest it was done carefully between being rested under a heated duvet!!

As its still under the 6000 mile threshold (before BMW will review) I am running my own simple test - fill to a defined level whilst the bike is on a stand in the garage with a flat level floor then ride it and monitor the change when parked in the same position. Not scientific in any way but a reasonable, anecdotal, means of self assessment!

Not sure if its my positive outlook on life (!!) but I am beginning to think that the level drops to around halfway on the sight glass then stays there. I guess this could make sense with a very slight reduction in oil pressure as the level drops a little, theoretically, but I'm doubtful - I'm sure on of you clever chaps will advise.....

Most importantly, it doesn't remove the fun, great bike so no if something is amiss; I'll fix it and keep riding!

jgk

Yes I would agree. My hexheads have at times been just below mid point in the sight glass, then dropped quickly from there, so I would tend to keep it in the upper half if possible.

Back
Top Bottom