Winter trip to SW England - mad or wha'?

You'll double the amount of people with teeth in Cornwall.

Cheers for all the tips folks...

Bar the threat of ice and snow I reckon I'll head over so. But decision will be left till the very last minute. Due to obligations I can't head off till after the 8th, but after that I reckon I'll have at least a week to play with. Should get me home in time for some last minute panic Christmas shopping. :p

Things I'd like to see are Eden Project, Land's End, Minack Theatre, St. Michaels Mount, Tintagel Castle. Anything else I should have a ganders at? Should be enough to keep me busy and out of trouble, and if I don't do it all means I have reason to come back again...happy days.

Nowt like a wee road trip....;)

If you do a fast blat to Bridgewater then head for Minehead, Porlock Weir, back up Porlock hill, Lynmouth, Lynton and the valley of the Rocks then down the Toll road keep following the coast to Ilfracombe, Braunton through Barnstaple on the Atlantic HighWay to Hartland Quay (see if you can get B&B at the Wreckers Retreat) on to Bude, Widemouth Bay and a tiny road following the sea to Crackington Haven, then head on to Tintagel and the rest of the things you have listed. Stunning roads and scenery and the Guinness is cheaper then Ireland.

As you will be arriving in Fishguard there are a lot of decent roads and sights to see before you get to the Severn Crossing.

If you do a fast blat to Bridgewater then head for Minehead, Porlock Weir, back up Porlock hill, Lynmouth, Lynton and the valley of the Rocks then down the Toll road keep following the coast to Ilfracombe, Braunton through Barnstaple on the Atlantic HighWay to Hartland Quay (see if you can get B&B at the Wreckers Retreat) on to Bude, Widemouth Bay and a tiny road following the sea to Crackington Haven, then head on to Tintagel and the rest of the things you have listed. Stunning roads and scenery and the Guinness is cheaper then Ireland.

Yer a gent! Can't beat a bit of local knowledge to find the roads and sights worth seeing. Much appreciated! :thumb2

+1 for Devon’s suggested north coast route, the toll road can be a bit greasy in places(DAMHIK:blush)when it’s wet. Falmouth is a nice place as a possible base for a couple of nights it has a good museum, good pubs and if the weather is kind you can get the ferry across to St Mawes, also not far from seal rescue place at Gweek .
Once you get down that far it is only 20 miles or less from north to south coast so not far to most places. Driftwood Spars pub in St Agnes is good for food, if you fancy a cider try the Rattler but only if you are not riding afterwards!!!

Al.

Don't forget The Lizard, furthest point south in the UK, If you mange to get to south Devon, Salcombe, Dartmouth and Slapton are worth a visit.

Worth noting that Brittany Ferries are doing £75 return for a solo motorcycle up to 4 days away, so maybe incorporate some of the SW, ferry from Plymouth, explore Brittany and maybe up to Normandy.

Just a thought

Don't forget The Lizard, furthest point south in the UK, If you mange to get to south Devon, Salcombe, Dartmouth and Slapton are worth a visit.

Worth noting that Brittany Ferries are doing £75 return for a solo motorcycle up to 4 days away, so maybe incorporate some of the SW, ferry from Plymouth, explore Brittany and maybe up to Normandy.

Just a thought

Great minds, eh... I had only come across Lizard Point yesterday while browsing on Google Maps...T'would be a shame to get down that far and not step in for a wee ganders. :thumb2

Thought about Britanny, but with the timeframe available I think I'd end up doing more travelling and less sightseeing. Plus herself is keen to see Normandy etc. so I'll wait till we're doing a 2-up trip for that one....

Definitely mad :rob

It depends on your budget.
Fly to the south of Spain, rent a bike for a few days. I did that last December, had four days biking on 1200 GS.
22c during the day, 7c at night in Ronda. Brilliant trip.

I'm with westride :thumb
Feck putting up with hardship, my holidays are too scarce for that. Sunny days & warm tarmac (or dirt)....

I've used these guys out of Barcelona before & found them good value & nearly new 1200s

Or maybe some thing like this ? Haven't used them myself but have heard good things. They're not the only ones in the south so have a Google if that interests you :beerjug:

Feck putting up with hardship, my holidays are too scarce for that. Sunny days & warm tarmac (or dirt)....

I've used these guys out of Barcelona before & found them good value & nearly new 1200s

Or maybe some thing like this ? Haven't used them myself but have heard good things. They're not the only ones in the south so have a Google if that interests you :beerjug:

Ah jaysus!! Just when I have me decision made you come along and muddy the waters all over again! :p

Some light off-roading in the sun is very very tempting indeed... Did a stint with Redtread a few moons back and it was great craic indeed. Even managed to leave one of our party in a Spanish hospital with a broken leg!

As this trip is reasonably unplanned, I need to keep the costs down as best I can. But I'll see how BMW rental vs Redtread vs. my bike in Cornwall stacks up...

Cheers for the info Jochen! :thumb2

fecker ive wanted to do that but no hols left

might do that next winter :D

You're off your head. I still remember what it's like to ride a bike in minus degrees without a fairing for several hours along the M4 after getting off the ferry, no fun. I popped over to Yorkshire a month or so ago, priced up flight and car hire and it was cheaper than taking the bike on ferry plus the tipping factor was that I could take my transport less Yorkshire friend out for a few pints without him needing me to bring a helmet over etc.

Take today as an example, it's been relentlessly pissing it down, no fun riding in that for a few hours.

You're off your head. I still remember what it's like to ride a bike in minus degrees without a fairing for several hours along the M4 after getting off the ferry, no fun. I popped over to Yorkshire a month or so ago, priced up flight and car hire and it was cheaper than taking the bike on ferry plus the tipping factor was that I could take my transport less Yorkshire friend out for a few pints without him needing me to bring a helmet over etc.

Take today as an example, it's been relentlessly pissing it down, no fun riding in that for a few hours.

Ah, the final call on the trip will be weather dependent... If it's to bucket down or be sub-zero for a few days then I'll be putting the feet up in front of the fire (or maybe go MTBing for a few hours). Am also considering staying local if the weather here is better - with the cost of the ferry being the same as 3 nights accommodation, it'd be mad to pay extra to ride around in the lashings of rain. Plus I'm keen to go exploring out west again....

Ah, the final call on the trip will be weather dependent... If it's to bucket down or be sub-zero for a few days then I'll be putting the feet up in front of the fire (or maybe go MTBing for a few hours). Am also considering staying local if the weather here is better - with the cost of the ferry being the same as 3 nights accommodation, it'd be mad to pay extra to ride around in the lashings of rain. Plus I'm keen to go exploring out west again....

I was looking at weather initially but knowing how much more expensive flights are nearer to departure my ferry price/ fly drive price/ friends transportless situation/ weather mental algorithm went into meltdown.

Well, work has managed to drag on till at least the end of this week, and perhaps into next week as well. :rolleyes: Weather both in Ireland and UK is pretty pants at the minute...so the bike is staying put for now at least.

I's still love to ride off into the (very wet) sunset though...would need to leave at about 4pm these days! :p

Weather both in Ireland and UK is pretty pants at the minute...so the bike is staying put for now at least.

G'wan outta that, it's a lovely day for a bike ride (if I wasn't stuck in the office myself)
Was out for a while on Friday & then all day Saturday. I have to say the non-main roads are in some sh1t between the rain & the farmers :eek:

There's a reason Devon is so green and verdant; it rains, a lot, but there again you're from Ireland :blast

Back
Top Bottom