Winter trip to SW England - mad or wha'?

Hatcho

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well looks like I'll have some spare time in December coming my way....:rolleyes: and was thinking of hopping onto the bike for a few days. I could stay local on our lovely green isle but I kind of fancy hopping on a ferry over to Fishguard and then heading down into Devon/Cornwall. I'd probably have 5 to 7 days mid-December to play with...

My question is, would it just be too cold and miserable to enjoy the trip at that time of year? I've no particular agenda except to pootle along, enjoy some nice scenery and roads, meet some friendly folk, and chat away over a beer or two come evening time. So, whaddya reckon?

Go for it

If it’s that bad when there, bunker down and enjoy the local museums or whatever.

I’m headed to France and Spain so hoping for good weather too.

If I know I’ll be in a bed and can get a hot shower, I can put up with it being crap during the day.

Go for it, you’ll get great memories, no matter what the weather :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on your budget.
Fly to the south of Spain, rent a bike for a few days. I did that last December, had four days biking on 1200 GS.
22c during the day, 7c at night in Ronda. Brilliant trip.

Unless the weather is really awful stuff is still open as people walk the coast path and the moors year round, the Eden project is open all year and as said above museums etc, south coast less exposed than the north and you can have a beer under a palm tree in Torbay even this time of year. If you end up near Exmouth pm me and I’ll join you!!

Al.

Cheers for all the suggestions and advice folks. The fly and drive to Spain does sound tempting westride, but must admit I'm in the mood of a wee roadtrip - so leaving from the front door, hopping on a ferry and braving the elements is my favourite option.

What's nice about this is I can pretty much decide to head off the night before as I'll be on my tod. And should be able to book accommodation on a day by day basis...meandering is way more fun than following a strict schedule.

TBH, it's pretty cool riding through crap weather when yer all cosied up inside decent gear knowing there's a warm fire and a pint at the end of the day. S92GS, you're dead right - better to be making good memories than wishing the sun was shining!

Al, if I make it to Torquay I'll let you know - and the beer is on me. :thumb Least I can do in return for the tips and advice.

My question is, would it just be too cold and miserable to enjoy the trip at that time of year?

To be honest, it's pretty rare that its bitterly cold in Devon and Cornwall, particularly around the coasts where the gulf stream keeps us warm, but wet is another thing altogether. October has been really quite wet - even the heavily sloped pares of my garden are sodden. December is statistically the wettest month of the year where I live (Plymouth) - I've just looked it up and there's an average 4.6 inches of rain falling over 18 rainy days. I'm pretty sure you understand wet weather though, so if rain doesn't bother you, you'll be fine. There's some really good riding to be had. Good luck! 🍀

Pfft. I have heated waist coat. What cold?

Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you can find yourself some pretty cheap Air B&B’s in the south-west in December, outside of Christmas / New Year. If you’d go riding around on the west coast of Ireland, Cornwall is probably not hugely different, I suppose.

Find one in a decent location, to suit your needs and give it a go.

We have spent a few long weekends a few times in mid December, it’s never been too bad although one year at Lands End I parked the then RT behind a building as it was so windy I thought it my blow over.

Roseland peninsula, which is where St Mawes is one of our favourite spots.

Go for it... take your chance with the weather... the pubs will be warm....

If you go to Devon in the winter, have a night or two here - http://www.dukeofyorkdevon.co.uk/

It has a roaring log fire, excellent food, and the landlord is a good friend of mine. You’ll not be disappointed. :thumb

Cheers for all the tips folks...

Bar the threat of ice and snow I reckon I'll head over so. But decision will be left till the very last minute. Due to obligations I can't head off till after the 8th, but after that I reckon I'll have at least a week to play with. Should get me home in time for some last minute panic Christmas shopping. :p

Things I'd like to see are Eden Project, Land's End, Minack Theatre, St. Michaels Mount, Tintagel Castle. Anything else I should have a ganders at? Should be enough to keep me busy and out of trouble, and if I don't do it all means I have reason to come back again...happy days.

Nowt like a wee road trip....;)

Bar the threat of ice and snow I reckon I'll head over so. But decision will be left till the very last minute. Due to obligations I can't head off till after the 8th, but after that I reckon I'll have at least a week to play with. Should get me home in time for some last minute panic Christmas shopping. :p

Things I'd like to see are Eden Project, Land's End, Minack Theatre, St. Michaels Mount, Tintagel Castle. Anything else I should have a ganders at? Should be enough to keep me busy and out of trouble, and if I don't do it all means I have reason to come back again...happy days.

Good museum in Flambards,if the weather turns wet.

Polperro, whilst "touristy" is worth a look see..

Back
Top Bottom