701 long range anyone ?

Regarding the desire to keep weight down, for me it’s simply a case that I can’t pick my GS up if I drop it. Well ok, I can pick it up but I’m going to need a hernia op 6 months later and my back will be giving me hell for just as long.

I can pick my 501 up from the floor when it’s fully loaded with camping kit and that came in quite handy when I ran out of fuel and needed to lie it on the floor to allow fuel from the RH side of the fuel tank to get to the LH side so I could make it to the nearest petrol station. Arsey took the easier option of a larger fuel tank 😀

Joking apart, reducing the weight just makes the bike easier to ride both on road and off it and reduces the feeling of ‘what if?’ when riding alone off road. I did the modifications to my bike with the intention of travelling off road in Eastern Europe where the chances of seeing other human beings for the rest of the day are significantly lower than on a Cambridgeshire byway. Circumstances prevented that from happening this year but the bike is waiting and so am I.

Thanks all.

It all depends on how much road you use to be fair, which has led me to my current thought process.

We usually do France and Spain a couple of times a year and do venture off the beaten path, but coming from up north, however you look at it, we need to get to the tunnel and back (as quickly as possible!), plus the odd big road over there, so I just need to decide whether these bikes will do that without me regretting it. I completely accept their weight alone means we'd have much more fun for most of our trips.

I’ve got it covered by having a 20 year old 1150GS for road based trips or rallies and a 501 as a toy bike.

I’ve got it covered by having a 20 year old 1150GS for road based trips or rallies and a 501 as a toy bike.

To be fair, a toy bike is no use in the UK to me, as I've been there/done that and only venture onto tracks over the water, which means I have to get there. So, unless your 1150 has a bike rack, it's no good.

We're talking about driving over with a trailer now :blast

To be fair, a toy bike is no use in the UK to me, as I've been there/done that and only venture onto tracks over the water, which means I have to get there. So, unless your 1150 has a bike rack, it's no good.

We're talking about driving over with a trailer now :blast

It depends on whether you travel alone or not.

I changed the seat on mine to make it bearable for 500 mile days, added a bigger tank and bought a second set of wheels so I’ve got 50/50 tyres and a rear cush drive to make it more road friendly.

I’d be more than happy to spend 2 days riding it to Romania and I fitted a bigger clutch cover increasing the oil capacity so for general use the recommended service intervals are pretty much irrelevant.

None of this matters if you need to carry a pillion but my wife has her own bikes and would need to be desperate to even go on the back of my GS 😀

Regarding the desire to keep weight down, for me it’s simply a case that I can’t pick my GS up if I drop it. Well ok, I can pick it up but I’m going to need a hernia op 6 months later and my back will be giving me hell for just as long.

I can pick my 501 up from the floor when it’s fully loaded with camping kit and that came in quite handy when I ran out of fuel and needed to lie it on the floor to allow fuel from the RH side of the fuel tank to get to the LH side so I could make it to the nearest petrol station. Arsey took the easier option of a larger fuel tank

Joking apart, reducing the weight just makes the bike easier to ride both on road and off it and reduces the feeling of ‘what if?’ when riding alone off road. I did the modifications to my bike with the intention of travelling off road in Eastern Europe where the chances of seeing other human beings for the rest of the day are significantly lower than on a Cambridgeshire byway. Circumstances prevented that from happening this year but the bike is waiting and so am I.

Agree with all that

Martin, that is bloody lovely!! Love what you've done to it, only other change i would make if it were mine would be to change the rear mud guard/number plate hanger thingy. Looks too long for my liking. I know it's a practical thing but i'd want the back end to stop just under the rear light...

Is this more to your liking, sir ?

Before

179494bac192618f018cf7cc3a6b560c.jpg

2800b834ca69dfba55e6371712cc7ee5.jpg

To this :

8876fe5999bc1668fcba228933aceb3f.jpg

161d55db330ff1137b727efa3e3c452f.jpg

Will be a bit neater next week as just secured a 3 digit number plate so will be much smaller.

The only thing I’d like to do would be to take some of the connections off the battery.
It’s ok, but what with heated grips, heated vest etc its a tad messy.
The only trouble is there isn’t much room under the seat.
Does anyone know of a small busbar thingy or whatever they are called that attaches to the battery then lets you power accessoires remotely,if y’a know what I mean ?
I know others have attached something to the fairing/tower but I’d rather not if possible.Ta.

If you look a few posts back at the pictures of my 690, you’ll see a small block on the tower that makes it easy to wire extra devices in, either switched or unswitched. It’s called Fuze.

https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblocks-FZ-1-Distribution-Block_p_1.html

No problem, glad you’ve got it all done to your liking now. I’m minded to weigh mine, now, I’ll have to sneak the bathroom scales

Ok ta . But I’m all done now and won’t be adding anything else except plugging in to the din/usbs.

Ok,I lied.
Just ordered a Berotec cockpit assistant !

e88d82b60c145ae08412d118a2e92685.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SbewISr57dw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks simple enough to install.Anybody else got one ?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MUrrmtnAM70" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody know if I can get similar to this in UK or Europe ?

9b463e4224d07717abed57cdc33dd99f.png

I need to power a second accessory off my ACC2, which is already in use.
I don’t need the extended length, but I think the lead above would allow me to power a second accessory from ACC2, unless I’ve misread it ?

Anybody know if I can get similar to this in UK or Europe ?

9b463e4224d07717abed57cdc33dd99f.png

I need to power a second accessory off my ACC2, which is already in use.
I don’t need the extended length, but I think the lead above would allow me to power a second accessory from ACC2, unless I’ve misread it ?

You have read it correctly, very easy to crimp/solder one up for yourself though, with it being simple flat spades.

Martin,
I could make you something similar in about 10 min's
Tell me what length you need and your address and it'll be in the post before the weekend

Neil

Back
Top Bottom