701 long range anyone ?

Martin,
I could make you something similar in about 10 min's
Tell me what length you need and your address and it'll be in the post before the weekend

Neil

Neil,
Thanks again for your kind offer.
I did send you a PM shortly after you posted your offer , with my address and stating that I would want to pay you for your help and making this for me but I’ve not heard back from you.

Arsey - When will you be selling this bike, I need to make some 2021 bike buying decisions and the current lack of that insight is affecting the process :D

Fitted my Berotec Cumpan cockpit assistant today to the 701LR.

0d04d2a2d6e0b88472791bdb0ef7b487.jpg

I wanted a rev counter and this has the added benefit of showing ambient temperature/oil temperature and has a programmable shift light for both hot and cold operation.

b486e60d10da418212416c48d6c924ad.jpg

NeilDD has been an utter star and has made me a lead, shown a few posts above so I can use the ACC2 socket in the tower.
It’s currently being used for heated grips but Neil’s lead will let me use both the heated grips and the Berotec.
The devil wouldn’t take any payment apart from a donation to the air ambulance, which I was more than grateful to do.Top bloke !!!

The lead should arrive any day, though our post is shite,but I thought I would fit the rest of the Berotec and wiring etc and then that’ll simply leave the new lead to plumb in and then refit the tower dash.

The device is specifically for the 701 or KTM 690 and comes with the appropriate wiring/plumbing required.

It was simple enough to fit but a bit time consuming and fiddly in places.

Because I’ve got the LR I had to loosen the front tank so I could get the wiring/cables underneath.This meant I had to take off the tank shrouds/panels etc before getting access to the tank bolts.

The cockpit assistant itself sticks to the underside of the bars using a mount that is sold separately .

The electric wire is fed to the ACC2 socket (I unplugged the heated grips for now) and then that leaves a wire that goes under the tank to connect to the plug for the rev signal.An adaptor is included so you simply unplug the white plug and then ‘piggy back’ the included plug which then has a terminal to connect to the rev signal wire from the Cumpan.

Then you need to undo the plug of the timing chain tensioner and screw in the included cable which then joins to the cable from the Cumpan.

The plug to remove is a bit of a sod to get to :

5d2a619910942497096cb0f3cb69babf.jpg

Then I had to put it all back together again, minus the tower cover , until I can fit the lead.

It works great.You can select colour from many alternatives .

986d296c060c79284fc18b1938f35f0f.jpg

I’ve gone for blue :

5420306e38397c214eda2768bb4e5127.jpg

A little vid showing it working :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JD0vIftxXFQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just need to finish setting it up and then fit Neil’s lead and close the tower up.

Thanks again to NeilDD for being a total legend :bow:bow

How straightforward was it to wire in the tacho/temp/thinghy?

ANdres

See post 227 !!
It was relatively straight forward.
It was only made more difficult because a) I had a front tank to remove (well,undo bolts to get underneath) and b) already had the ACC2 socket in use.
Solved by Neil kindly making me up a new lead to use 2 devices on the one input.

The actual wiring up was fine.Very good instructions plus a vid specifically for 690/701.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MUrrmtnAM70" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Getting the cam timing plug off and refitting the new cable was a bit fiddly as limited access with the frame.But all very doable and I’m no great mechanic.

I’ve just been out for a spin using it for first time.

What is interesting is where I had previously felt like I was #caningtheshitoutofitandtimetochangeup was actually ‘only’ 5000-5500 revs so still another 2000 usable revs left !!

The Berotec works great.The rev bar changes from white to amber about 1000 revs below your shift limit and then goes red at the limit .I didnt rev it to the max (9000) to see what it shows !!! :)

See post 227 !!
It was relatively straight forward................

I'm a dick, it's official. More haste, less speed eh....... :D Cheers :)

It looks fab and I hadn't realised it's effectively 'plug and play'. When I've fitted similar things in the past (a few years ago now) they weren't that straight forward.

Andres

I'm a dick, it's official. More haste, less speed eh....... :D Cheers :)

It looks fab and I hadn't realised it's effectively 'plug and play'. When I've fitted similar things in the past (a few years ago now) they weren't that straight forward.

Andres

It’s entirely plug and play ! All bits supplied .

Typical !!

Berotec have released a new version of the Cumpan than now includes a gear indicator :

I saw that on the FB page as one of the guys has fitted one........do you REALLY need a gear indicator though, surely you're in the 'right gear' or 'wrong gear', you don't need to know what the 'number' is............... Having said that my bike has one as standard. And a rev counter :D

Andres

I saw that on the FB page as one of the guys has fitted one........do you REALLY need a gear indicator though, surely you're in the 'right gear' or 'wrong gear', you don't need to know what the 'number' is............... Having said that my bike has one as standard. And a rev counter :D

Andres

Yeah, I won’t be bothering to upgrade mine.

Away on my 701LR for the first time, so first chance in 18 months to stretch its legs.
First time in 20 + years I’m doing a proper trip on a single .
It’s not ideal sat at 70 mph on a dual carriageway but an absolute weapon on back roads here in Brittany .
It’s doing about 5000 revs at 70 mph and I’m sure the redline is 7500 ish, so only about 105 mph .
Pretty low geared if true as my old KTM Duke in 1998 would indicate 120 ish flat out and from memory that had about 55 bhp compared to 74 on 701.
The Mosko Moto luggage works well as does the Nomad tower.
Shown here with supermarket shop also attached !!

9903da9571e5427d16f28289981bfc7a.jpg

This is the plan , starting on Saturday

69cd91c879c5219d79bac284958897e5.jpg

Then I’m leaving the others after “H” and riding back to my start point .

Should give it a proper run !

Like you say not much cop on m-ways but on anything and that's more than made up for by how much fun they are :)

I've bought mine as my 'piss off abroad bike' (as well as everything else) so I'm very interested to see how you get on........

Bon voyage :kissy2

Andres

Back
Top Bottom