DIY Servicing Do I really need a GS 911

RikPing

Reaction score
I own a March 2016 GS now out of warranty coming up for 20k miles and fourth annual service, all previous annual services by dealers. pretty much only used for fun/touring. Being a bit of a DIYer, I can do most things myself. This week I have changed oil & filter, air filter, changed FD oil and greased FD splines, replaced rear brake pads. checked other stuff etc going off the recommended schedules. I'm quite enjoying it to be honest if a little apprehensive at first but knowing my work was done properly and double checked, (Obviously I have more time to do it). Theses things really aren't that difficult and save on dealers charges. However, next on my list is a brake Flush, I've done this before on older cars no probs but not my GS. Having read/watched a few threads/vids it appears this is done using a GS911? Do I really need this expensive tool just to flush the brakes and remove the service required thingy from the dash. Is this something I can have a go at without the GS911? or should I have the brake flush done at a dealer/garage and would they do this on its own for a few quid as opposed to service prices?
Any advice appreciated thx

I find myself in a similar position to yourself as a home DIYer albeit with a 2008 bike. As far as I am aware, flushing the brake fluid requires a GS911 **or similar** as it is necessary to electrically activate the ABS pump to get it to flush out the brake fluid within. Thus my bike is always subject to a 'two part' service: I do most things myself and hand it and a job list over to my local independent bike mechanic to do the bits that I either don't have the kit for or not confident to do.

I own a March 2016 GS now out of warranty coming up for 20k miles and fourth annual service, all previous annual services by dealers. pretty much only used for fun/touring. Being a bit of a DIYer, I can do most things myself. This week I have changed oil & filter, air filter, changed FD oil and greased FD splines, replaced rear brake pads. checked other stuff etc going off the recommended schedules. I'm quite enjoying it to be honest if a little apprehensive at first but knowing my work was done properly and double checked, (Obviously I have more time to do it). Theses things really aren't that difficult and save on dealers charges. However, next on my list is a brake Flush, I've done this before on older cars no probs but not my GS. Having read/watched a few threads/vids it appears this is done using a GS911? Do I really need this expensive tool just to flush the brakes and remove the service required thingy from the dash. Is this something I can have a go at without the GS911? or should I have the brake flush done at a dealer/garage and would they do this on its own for a few quid as opposed to service prices?
Any advice appreciated thx

I bought a GS911 initially to bleed the brakes on my '16 GS but also to have with me when touring should there be problems or a Fault light come on.

It hasn't been used a lot but is good to have in the Top Box "just in case".

Had my GS LC brakes bled last month by BMW indy guy (cost £50) He used GS911 to activate the ABS pump.

Consider a GS911 alternative https://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/b...le-obd-kit-obdlink-lx-and-10-pin-adapter.html You'll need to buy/download Motoscan software - various "levels" depending what functions you require

I have one (just used for fault code reading & service reminder reset so far) & happy with it. My version doesn't do brakes, & whilst I could upgrade, for £50 I'm happy for a professional to do the job

£60 for a dealer brake fluid flush. I let them do it.

Not a hope in hell of working on a beemer, well a bike anyway.

Ha ha I did wonder, just saw OBD11 of which I know nothing but seen been mentioned elsewhere. Ah well if its too good to be true then....

911s are best shared. There are 10 VIN slots on each one.... 2 bikes each, share between 5 mates. Job's-a'goodun!

911s are best shared. There are 10 VIN slots on each one.... 2 bikes each, share between 5 mates. Job's-a'goodun!

Very sensible. I offered the same thing to a few of my rellies and pals, but they didnt want to pay out to join the consortium. So when the time comes they can just toodle off to the dealer and pay them to use their GS911.:p:D

You don't need a 911 to bleed brakes on the LC GS's like you did on earlier models. The only thing I use my 911 for is when I swap wheels from spokes to cast to swap tyre pressure sensor codes and reset the service indicator. Haven't had any fault codes to clear barring the exhaust valve from not having an exhaust valve but it returns as soon as I run the bike again but it doesn't show on the dash only when you plug the 911 in so not an issue. I used it more on the hex head bikes than the LC bikes.

Just read the reviews and a bloke states that it works on the triumph tiger

GB is quite correct, you don't need a GS911 to flush the brake fluid. If you were to introduce air into the system by changing a component you need to cycle the pump. If you're just flushing new fluid through the system, you don't.

You don't need a 911 to bleed brakes on the LC GS's like you did on earlier models. The only thing I use my 911 for is when I swap wheels from spokes to cast to swap tyre pressure sensor codes and reset the service indicator. Haven't had any fault codes to clear barring the exhaust valve from not having an exhaust valve but it returns as soon as I run the bike again but it doesn't show on the dash only when you plug the 911 in so not an issue. I used it more on the hex head bikes than the LC bikes.

That's as I thought, flushing brakes is not that difficult. So am I correct in thinking that I can still flush the brakes with new fluid using the old fashioned method of pump lever/pedal then top up for both front and rear even though they are linked? But that still leaves old fluid in the ABS system which would need some form of electronic wizardry (i.e. GS911) to get the ABS to pump??

The money you save doing your on servicing will soon pay for the GS911.

I use motoscan, for some reason it will reset mileage service interval but won't reset date service.
anyone have the same trouble also it stops abs bleed after a couple of seconds saying there's some fault ??? not with abs system but with motoscan

I use motoscan, for some reason it will reset mileage service interval but won't reset date service.
anyone have the same trouble also it stops abs bleed after a couple of seconds saying there's some fault ??? not with abs system but with motoscan

I too use Motorscan, the service interval AND date resets as it should (Used with BMW Bike OBD reader from scan tool direct) No ides why you are unable to perform the same resets

You can't reset the date because the OBD dongle you are using is probably a cheapo Chinese jobby. Apparently they cant handle long string data or something. If you use the one, albeit more expensive, recommended on Motoscans website, it works perfectly.

https://www.motoscan.de/diagnoseadapter/

I bought the ODB2 MX version second hand off eBay for a lower price than the LX version.

Great for cars as well :)

Back
Top Bottom