Cat 5e cabling and RJ45 plugs

Oldrat

So much better now Engineer is on ignore
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not strictly a computer issue but a network one.

Im running at 5e cable between my router and desktop and don’t quite understand an issue with the line.

initially I put rj45 plugs on each end and tested the line- all the lights on the cable tester lit up one at a time, yet when I replaced the plugs with cat 5e wall plates, all except one of the lights come on.

I’ve tried a completely new set of wall plates too and get the same.
I happen to have wired each end as T568A, but IMHO, that shouldn't make any difference as long as both ends are wired the same way.

Im a bit of a numpty when it comes to anything involving lecky, but thought this would be a doddle.

i can manage with plugs at each end but it’s not so tidy and I’d appreciate anyone who can shed any light on what’s going on, as I hate not knowing.

thanks for looking
:beerjug:

don't you have split the colours up to stop crosstalk in the cable..?

O+W O G+W B B+W G B+W and B to finish off.... not had to make a cable in 15 years but that was the sequence... I think

or could the cables be polarised from the router ..?

Did you check all the crimps are fully home?

EDIt

Are you sure you put them all in the correct position a quick google gives this image though it may be wrong for your wall plate?

Cat6SocketWiring500.jpg

don't you have split the colours up to stop crosstalk in the cable..?

O+W O G+W B B+W G B+W and B to finish off.... not had to make a cable in 15 years but that was the sequence... I think

or could the cables be polarised from the router ..?

I’ve kept the pairs twisted right up until the contact point, that’s what YouTube told me to do, that’s correct isn’t it??

Did you check all the crimps are fully home?

EDIt

Are you sure you put them all in the correct position a quick google gives this image though it may be wrong for your wall plate?

Cat6SocketWiring500.jpg

I’ve used the sequence shown here, T568A, exactly the same both ends for the plugs and I’ve followed the colour coding shown inside the sockets as here.

I’ve kept to the colour code, but I would have thought that as long as both sockets are wired identically, the wire tester should fully light up??

Thank you gents for your help, I’m really scratching my head with this one
:beerjug:

Attachments

• BA857AD2-A472-4789-98D9-E0C6E3AFCD0F.jpg
    BA857AD2-A472-4789-98D9-E0C6E3AFCD0F.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 58903661-EF3C-4AFF-8F0B-1B739A31CDA1.jpg
    58903661-EF3C-4AFF-8F0B-1B739A31CDA1.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 82
I’ve now wired it four times and these are the results

Plug on each end = lights fully lit up
New plugs on each end = fully lit up
Wall plate and plug = one light out
Two wall plates and new cable = one light out

:banghead::banghead:

Check the spring contacts are clean and bent down enough on wall plate socket, sometimes one may be dirty or bent up

Thanks, I will.

Odd that this has happened with two new sets of plates though.. bloomin fishy, and probably a straightforward solution that is so far eluding me

I’m using cat 5e patch leads. Ok thanks for the info about the redundancy in the wires, didn’t know that ��

So
The next step (tomorrow) will be to connect the desktop with the router via the wall plates and run it, so far I’ve only used a continuity device which splits in two and plugs into each end of the cable.

Thanks all for your continuing help. I just can’t see why the wall plates lose a signal as they have the same number of connections

Back
Top Bottom