Brake cleaning

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This last week my front wheel has developed a squeak that can I can hear at something like 2-25 mph and as I plan to refit the roadlok from my 2016 GSA I thought I’d whip the pads out and give then a clean.

To my horror I learn there’s a tool I don’t have! It’s probably a female “star” socket so I will be researching that shortly unless anyone can point me in the right direction.

Also what are the torque settings for the main caliper bolts ?

Attachments

• 2F0E5F52-9B2A-4486-8FEC-11EE8E5C6DF2.jpg
    2F0E5F52-9B2A-4486-8FEC-11EE8E5C6DF2.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 733
Anyone know the proper description of the star headed bolt

Not sure what they are called but most modern socket sets would have them, mine does and its about 10 years old.

My Halfords “professional” and my WERA sets sadly do not

Steve, you might find that an existing socket will do just fine if it's a tight fit; worth a go with care. Just wondering if the caliper bolts are reusable as I think the rears are not?

Steve, you might find that an existing socket will do just fine if it's a tight fit; worth a go with care. Just wondering if the caliper bolts are reusable as I think the rears are not?

Good point worth checking, thanks

I've never heard of that on any bike. I've always re-used the oem bolts.

The front calliper bolts on my 2010 Honda CBR600rr were supposed to be changed each time they were removed according to the OE workshop manual I spoke to a technician at the dealer and he said he would definitely use them a couple of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front calliper bolts on my 2010 Honda CBR600rr were supposed to be changed each time they were removed according to the OE workshop manual I spoke to a technician at the dealer and he said he would definitely use them a couple of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know certain cylinder head bolts require replacing when they have been removed. I've never fitted new caliper bolts on a bike. Christ if you had to do that everytime you took caliper off to clean you'd be up to your armpits in old bolts. Plus never use SS bolts in brake components they are not strong enough to withstand the loads imposed on them.

Can someone kindly advise what size the female torx socket needed for pad removal is on the front caliper, thanks

the bolts are only used once due to the loctite patch on them, so when put in again, the loctite isn't as good as it was before... nothing to do with the bolt itself.
Just get yourself a small tube of threadlock for when re-using them again ;)

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom