Brake cleaning

We had the debate about re-using 'one use only' bolts on my old VFR forum. In the end it was the general consencus that they could be re-used as long as you checked the bolts for 'necking', which for the uninitiated means narrowing at the location where the thread shaft meets the bolt head. As said my someone earlier in the thread, put some threadlock on those that require it.

I have re-used these bolts many times and never had a problem. In fact, on one occasion I found 'necking' and bought a new bolt.

Obviously if they are damaged, they can't be reused, but torquing a bolt to 36 Nm for example, it won't stress the bolt in any way.
Stretch bolts are the exception however, once used they can't be used again... usualy used in cylinder head applications etc....

Same goes for nyloc nuts, once used these should not be re-used unless used with a dab of threadlock :)

They're was a video on here some months ago of a guys rear wheel collapsing as he rode along the M4 motorway - caught on camera by his mate behind. Not pretty viewing. But I think (I might have to be corrected) that the conclusion was, the rear caliper found its way into the spokes... it would seem the caliper bolts had be reused...

I can't remember the specifics, but the bolts on the LC bikes have a finer thread - not sure if that's connected - but that the bolts should be replaced entry time.

Replacement seems a little extreme if they're not damaged, but the discussion that went on was about the tread locking compound and how it's not cost effective for a workshop to get involved in cleaning up bolts and treads.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Steve, you might find that an existing socket will do just fine if it's a tight fit; worth a go with care. Just wondering if the caliper bolts are reusable as I think the rears are not?

I’m just surprised no-one has jumped in.

What do you mean by “existing socket”? Do you mean an Allen socket?

Are you suggesting you hammer on of those into your brake bolts and give it a go?

It will “do just fine” - really?

They're was a video on here some months ago of a guys rear wheel collapsing as he rode along the M4 motorway - caught on camera by his mate behind. Not pretty viewing. But I think (I might have to be corrected) that the conclusion was, the rear caliper found its way into the spokes... it would seem the caliper bolts had be reused...

I can't remember the specifics, but the bolts on the LC bikes have a finer thread - not sure if that's connected - but that the bolts should be replaced entry time.

Replacement seems a little extreme if they're not damaged, but the discussion that went on was about the tread locking compound and how it's not cost effective for a workshop to get involved in cleaning up bolts and treads.

This was just before the loose spoke plague came to light and I think the caliper/wheel interface occurred because of the spokes rather than the caliper bolt coming loose. My opinion only

This was just before the loose spoke plague came to light and I think the caliper/wheel interface occurred because of the spokes rather than the caliper bolt coming loose. My opinion only
Ah. Interesting... I guess at the time, all blame was on the caliper. In its normal state, just how close it's the caliper to the spokes? Just wondering how far the wheel would have to wobble in order to make contact?

Ah. Interesting... I guess at the time, all blame was on the caliper. In its normal state, just how close it's the caliper to the spokes? Just wondering how far the wheel would have to wobble in order to make contact?

Im thinking not very far to be fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caliper bolts are 38nm.

I would suggest you don't tighten that one to 38nm. Those pad retainer bolts are usually 9nm or thereabouts.
The 38nm is for the two big studs that mount the caliper to the bottom of the forks.

33508722fbb3873c3ef72197b9f52b78.jpg
Should these locking washers be replaced each time ? If so anyone know where to buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an E-clip and it is reusable. Be aware that they can fly across the workshop when you remove them.

Back
Top Bottom