Helmets

davidfbmw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a new helmet and have narrowed it down to Shoei neotec 2 or bmw system 7, both fit ok but I’ve always had shoei
Anyone got any first hand views on both and what’s your thoughts
Also can the bmw take a cardo bluetooth or does it need to be bmw ones
Dave

Currently have the Neotec 2, has before that the 1 and the one before, I have to say chin venting on the GS is virtually nothing, wind noise is high but as a flip front and in comfort terms it’s very good, but next time I will be looking at cheaper / alternative options.

I can't remember which site, maybe FC Moto, are doing a great deal on HJC RPHA 90 flip helmet.
Looking at the spec and reviews on YouTube, it might be a cheaper alternative.

And Im sure Jamie from MotoCentral (on here) will match the deal.

Sent from a U11

I have a RPHA90, nice helmet, only minor niggle is the vent on the top vibrates at speed when in the open position, not been out in very heavy rain but no visor leaks so far.
I got a really good deal from helmet City, don’t know if it is still running.

Al.

I’ve got the gt air at the moment and never had a flip front
But have always had shoei’s,the Pinlock isnt seating right and keeps misting up so thought sod it get a flip front
Was tempted with the system 7 as well has there’s 25% off clothing at moment

I’m in the market for a new helmet and have narrowed it down to Shoei neotec 2 or bmw system 7, both fit ok but I’ve always had shoei
Anyone got any first hand views on both and what’s your thoughts
Also can the bmw take a cardo bluetooth or does it need to be bmw ones
Dave
Had both the lids you mention: both too heavy for long distance wear IMHO. Sold the Shoei, S7 returned due to the internal waterfall it featured in heavy rain. Can’t comment on the Comms as I’m still an Autocom dinosaur.

Have you tried them on - if one brand fits the other is likely not to...

Why? For example a Shoei small would be 55-56 and a BMW small 54-55. Then Shoei M 57-58 vs BMW 56-57.

After years of BMW System helmets, I find that the Shoei modulars fit better.

I buy (and pay for) my helmets at the shows with a cracking discount, but collect from the brick and mortar stores. That way I get them to fit it properly (when they are not rushed off their feet) and supply thicker or thinner cheek/head pads for free instead of paying £50.

I have no problems with the Neotec 2 and have a Cardo Packtalk fitted. I do admit that it looks clumsy on the side of the helmet compared to the Sena integrated comms. The integrated comms would require some soldering as I use in-ear monitors.

Talking of dinosaurs, I have an Autocom headset as well which is fitted into a Neotec 1.

I had a BMW 7 - sold it and bought a Neotec II. I find it more comfortable and quieter, although I think the BMW was less susceptible to fogging.

In my experience of selling motorcyucle helmets for the past 8 years now, the best flip front helmet on the market at the moment is the Shoei Neotec 2 - I personally think Schuberths are well overrated and if you had any idea how many warranty issues in comparison you'd never buy one yourself either unless the fit is just far superior.

If anyone wants a price match etc on anything just drop me a message - should be able to do 99% of them if we're not already the cheapest around :)

don't forget you can use your UKGSER code on our website for 10% off (includes sale items)

Kind Regards
Jamie
Moto Central.

In my experience of selling motorcyucle helmets for the past 8 years now, the best flip front helmet on the market at the moment is the Shoei Neotec 2 - I personally think Schuberths are well overrated and if you had any idea how many warranty issues in comparison you'd never buy one yourself either unless the fit is just far superior.

If anyone wants a price match etc on anything just drop me a message - should be able to do 99% of them if we're not already the cheapest around :)

don't forget you can use your UKGSER code on our website for 10% off (includes sale items)

Kind Regards
Jamie
Moto Central.

Have you any experience of the Arai Sport Modular, they look good and are a good price

Have you any experience of the Nexx x wed 2?
Thanks

The Nexx XWED2 is rated by a lot of people as the "best" all around adventure helmet on te market at the moment. That's not because it's actually the best or the most protective you can go for currently, but because the value for money isn't really rivaled by anyone.
For the mid price bracket (around £300 give or take) there's nothing close. The Arai and Shoei models are definitely better helmets but they're also an additional £200+ so they ought to be. If you're not in the market to spend so much, the XWED2 is the best option currently, for the proper adventure rider at least. It has all the mounts and peak bits to be able to put cameras and lengthen the peak etc, they all come free in the box so you're set from day 1. It has the internal sun visor which is something not seen in a lot of adventure helmets, it's quite difficult to design an ADV helmet with a sun visor apparently which is why most don't have them.They're pretty solid helmets, we do have the odd issue here or there with them, mainly the visor/peak levers being lost or maybe apadding popper coming off but Nexx repair all those kind of issues.

We don't stock Nexx in store but only because if we don't have the colour and size in stock available there and then we found people weren't prepared to wait 1-3 weeks to the helmets to be made (they're hand made in Portugal) so we would lose sales, but from an unbiased opinion they're actually very very good for the money you pay for some. Their open faces and full faces are pretty poor in comparison to the rest of the market so the brand as a whole isn't perfect but they've done something really quite special with the XWED 2 - we're currently toying with the idea of tocking them again but as there isn't any next day stock holding in the UK it makes it a little more difficult - there's only an agent who sells them into dealers like ourselves but they're just a middle man.

hope that helps - can find them online here: https://www.motocentral.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=XWED2

If you're prepared to wait, perfect! - just note if you're in between 2 sizes I'd probably order the larger of the 2 as they fit ever so slightly snug.

Thank very much for your help. Going to the Nec this month hoping to find one.

Kind Regards
Jamie
Moto Central.

good to hear someone actually owning up to warranty issues on Schuberth. My C3 pro has now been back and forth about 4 times, even to Germany. Kept condensing/misting up. Everyone I spoke to said its not a common occurrence...Anyhow, I got a full refund. But now stuck with the inbuilt comms unit that couldnt fit other flips.......so bought a cheapish AGV full face and have managed to fit it to that. I can remember standing in the shop thinking "I know Arai works", do I change or go with the old and end up like that boring guy at the pub in the same seat, everyday...2 days in and the AGV also fng condenses but not as much. Oh and its noisy compared. So maybe I should have stuck with what worked for 5 years, an Arai Chaser...

plus one on the Neotech

good to hear someone actually owning up to warranty issues on Schuberth. My C3 pro has now been back and forth about 4 times, even to Germany. Kept condensing/misting up. Everyone I spoke to said its not a common occurrence...Anyhow, I got a full refund. But now stuck with the inbuilt comms unit that couldnt fit other flips.......so bought a cheapish AGV full face and have managed to fit it to that. I can remember standing in the shop thinking "I know Arai works", do I change or go with the old and end up like that boring guy at the pub in the same seat, everyday...2 days in and the AGV also fng condenses but not as much. Oh and its noisy compared. So maybe I should have stuck with what worked for 5 years, an Arai Chaser...

Schuberths advertising says they are super quiet - that's subjective and possibly the worst thing you could actually put in writing so often people send them back for that alone - difficult however to prove / deny.

They often have pinlock or visor issues mainly to be honest, they don't seal perfect and haven't done properly since the Schuberth C1 - how they'e still got that massively premium reputation baffles me. Shoei is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of quality.

Arai's are quite noisy though just remember that. They always will be too with the way they make them, they're built for safety and Arai couldn't care less if it's a bit noisy. I have the original Arai Chaser myself, comfiest helmet I've ever put on my head.

I also have a GT AIR (original one) and the pinlock steams up on that, we've had a fair few customers complain about that issue as well.. seems to be a regular occurance to be honest but just remember there are quite a lot of different types of pinlock, just because there might be one in the box with the helmet, doesn't mean it's the one that works 100% of the time.

Schuberths advertising says they are super quiet - that's subjective and possibly the worst thing you could actually put in writing so often people send them back for that alone - difficult however to prove / deny.

They often have pinlock or visor issues mainly to be honest, they don't seal perfect and haven't done properly since the Schuberth C1 - how they'e still got that massively premium reputation baffles me. Shoei is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of quality.

Arai's are quite noisy though just remember that. They always will be too with the way they make them, they're built for safety and Arai couldn't care less if it's a bit noisy. I have the original Arai Chaser myself, comfiest helmet I've ever put on my head.

I also have a GT AIR (original one) and the pinlock steams up on that, we've had a fair few customers complain about that issue as well.. seems to be a regular occurance to be honest but just remember there are quite a lot of different types of pinlock, just because there might be one in the box with the helmet, doesn't mean it's the one that works 100% of the time.

Yup, totally agree.

I bought a Schuberth C4 after having heard how quiet Schuberth helmets were.
It was utter shite, the worst helmet I’ve ever owned.I was away in Belgium and got a huge bug inside the helmet,yet I couldn’t move it-turns out it was INSIDE the pinlock !! Schuberth said there had been a few issues and sent me a new pinlock which seemed ok.
The comms kit was shite too.Unusable above 50mph with earplugs in.
I got rid of the helmet and bought a Neotec 2.
SO much better.

Just for balance, and on the basis that 90% of forum posts are people complaining about something, I have had the opposite experience with a Schuberth helmet.
My E1 is one of the best helmets I have had and is by far the quietest adventure helmet I have used. The fit is great and it’s comfortable for 300+ mile days. I used it for the globebusters 2018 TransAm trip and wore it almost every day for five months and had no problems whatsoever. Yes they are expensive but from my experience the fit, comfort and safety levels makes it worth it. When it comes due for replacement I have every expectation of buying another one.

Back
Top Bottom