Satnav charge

Petefinlay

Reaction score
Hi guys,
If my bike has been sitting unused for a few days or weeks, when I do go out, the satnav won't come on until the bike has run around 30 min and then only if the ignition is switched off then re-started.
It is obviously losing it's charge sitting unused, but I have a charger plugged in to the bike all the time.
I assumed the charger would also charge the satnav but obviously not. Apart from removing the satnav to give it a charge before use, is there anyway I can get round this problem? (apart from using the bike more often:D)

Cheers,
Pete

Your Nav 5/6 isnt actually shutting down completely, only going into ‘sleep’ mode - so drains the battery.

When you switch your bike off and put it on a charger - the Canbus system shuts down all the consumer feeds, so there is nothing going in to your sat-nav.

You need to do a ‘full-off’ on the sat Nav, and leave it on the bike, or at this time of year, when you might not be riding or know when you next will be....... take it off the bike, switch off and take it indoors. Plug it in to your pc every month, to top it up.

hi,

I had a discussion with my AD the other day on this. I've had 3 previous R1200GSAs all using the same Nav5 and I always left the bike on trickle charge. The sat Nav5 whilst on the bike always stayed charged , so I could unplug the trickle charger , jump on the bike and the nav5 worked straightaway every time.

I've recently changed to a R1250GSA and changed the nav to a Nav6 and I'm now finding exactly the same thing you're finding, I'm starting the bike and the nav doesn't start up until I stop again and restart the bike. it now doesn't stay charged while the bike is on trickle.

I spoke to my local dealer and they just basically said put the Nav6 on normal charge a few mins before going out. they didn't even realise the old nav used to stay charged on the bike whilst on trickle. Something has either changed on the new 1250 or on the nav6.

Your Nav 5/6 isnt actually shutting down completely, only going into ‘sleep’ mode - so drains the battery.

When you switch your bike off and put it on a charger - the Canbus system shuts down all the consumer feeds, so there is nothing going in to your sat-nav.

You need to do a ‘full-off’ on the sat Nav, and leave it on the bike, or at this time of year, when you might not be riding or know when you next will be....... take it off the bike, switch off and take it indoors. Plug it in to your pc every month, to top it up.

^^^^^^ This for Nav VI

hi,

I had a discussion with my AD the other day on this. I've had 3 previous R1200GSAs all using the same Nav5 and I always left the bike on trickle charge. The sat Nav5 whilst on the bike always stayed charged , so I could unplug the trickle charger , jump on the bike and the nav5 worked straightaway every time.

I've recently changed to a R1250GSA and changed the nav to a Nav6 and I'm now finding exactly the same thing you're finding, I'm starting the bike and the nav doesn't start up until I stop again and restart the bike. it now doesn't stay charged while the bike is on trickle.

I spoke to my local dealer and they just basically said put the Nav6 on normal charge a few mins before going out. they didn't even realise the old nav used to stay charged on the bike whilst on trickle. Something has either changed on the new 1250 or on the nav6.

Your bike must have been different then. I had a Nav V on my 2014 bike, used to trickle charge it, but the Nav used to run down exactly the same as the Nav VI I have now. My bikes never charged the sat nav whilst its off, if the bike was putting power to the sat nav, the screen would be active. As others have said, the Nav is in standby when you switch off, unless you do a hard switch off. I just stick mine on charge every month to top it up.

I always take mine out of the cradle now for anything other than a 20 minute stop.

Charge it up via a mains wall socket before you go riding, especially if left unused for a few days or weeks.

It'll work properly then.

Thanks Guys, as recommended, I'll take it off the bike and give it a regular charge.
Thanks once again for the Info.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks Guys, as recommended, I'll take it off the bike and give it a regular charge.
Thanks once again for the Info.

Cheers,
Pete

Just so you know.... a 'Hard' shutdown is only done when you press and hold down the power button on the back, and then select turn off device from the pop up menu.

Any other menu randomly popping up outside of this will only put the unit into sleep mode (which still isn't turned off, and will draw power).

Off/Off is by the power button only.

Back
Top Bottom