Africa Twin valve check....fek me !!

Davy F

Reaction score
As my bike is laid up for the winter and as it had passed the 16k mile service advice, I’ve taken the plunge and decided to strip the bike myself for this major service as I’ve a good mate who can do the actual valve check. I’m fine up to a point in servicing, but always leave the really technical stuff to those better qualified. But my god, I’ve never had a bike that needs soooo much taken off it to gain access to the oily bits. Although the Honda workshop manual doesn’t say the rads need to come off, the sages say it’s much easier to do the check with them removed. So far.....

Seat, fairing, tank, air box, throttle bodies, coil pack tray, radiators and loads of other bits and bobs have come off. It’s no much wonder that Honda apparently charge £500+ for this service (allegedly a 9 hour job). :eek: Fek knows if it’s going to ever run again by the time everything’s bolted back together. :rob

Attachments

• DACA72B9-F3AC-438C-876D-4B3239EB4625.jpg
    DACA72B9-F3AC-438C-876D-4B3239EB4625.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 1,428
  • 4A55294A-0A26-4B0C-847F-F45F78A03E55.jpg
    4A55294A-0A26-4B0C-847F-F45F78A03E55.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,474
  • D4C4E48F-AE0E-4D37-9282-589CE93536DD.jpg
    D4C4E48F-AE0E-4D37-9282-589CE93536DD.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 1,393
  • 8DB17C08-A92C-4EB2-A53E-E335C523ED06.jpg
    8DB17C08-A92C-4EB2-A53E-E335C523ED06.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,423
Scary isn’t it!

If it’s any consolation the big KTMs are no different and similar money........

Andres

Yes a valve check is scary but just wait until they need adjusting as well, that's fun :D

Why bother at 16000 miles?

I did check my BMW at 12000 miles and they were all bang on tollerance.

I won't bother with my HAT until 32000 miles which will be years away at this rate.

I've only done 6000 miles in 2 years

Presumably per Honda spec...
I know a couple of owners who left it to 24k and when it didn't actually need any adjustment then, they've left it be ever since (50k miles plus)

Well, that’s the recommended mileage and it’s done 18.5k. I have read that others bikes haven’t needed any adjustment, but I suppose it’s peace of mind and also a learning curve.

Well, that’s the recommended mileage and it’s done 18.5k. I have read that others bikes haven’t needed any adjustment, but I suppose it’s peace of mind and also a learning curve.

Yeah I get that.

I won't bother on the Honda to be honest.

The BMW will be checked, as its more likely to eat itself.

I think it’s worth checking at the first recommended interval, then if they are well in spec it’s up to you whether or not to bother at the next interval; eg my bike was cock on at 18000 so I won’t bother looking again until, say, 50000..........unless of course she starts getting hard to start/whatever.
That may be deeply flawed but it works for me.

Andres

I think it’s worth checking at the first recommended interval, then if they are well in spec it’s up to you whether or not to bother at the next interval; eg my bike was cock on at 18000 so I won’t bother looking again until, say, 50000..........unless of course she starts getting hard to start/whatever.

Andres

I agree with this really.

If the bike is running ok, just leave it alone and just do oil and filter changes....

Why bother at 16000 miles?

Andres

I agree with this really.

If the bike is running ok, just leave it alone and just do oil and filter changes....

So no, but hang on...yes......

There must be a way of engineering this out. Cars have hydraulic tappits even those with high performance so I don't believe there isn't a way of dealing with it if the will was there.

Lots of bits to take off when doing the valve clearances on an Africa Twin. Normally only the exhausts need tweaking to bring them to mid setting. At least the exhausts are screw and locknut.

A good eight hour job. No short cuts on this job. If it looks like you might get away without removing some bits, don't waste your time, take the bits off.

Back
Top Bottom