Africa Twin valve check....fek me !!

Mines at 16k now, just done an oil and filters swap. However I try to work it out, I really am better off just paying off the £6k next September and keeping the bike. It will have cost me £9k. Nothing else appeals and I don't see a new 1100 being worth an additional £8k plus. I'll get a full indie service done next Autumn at about 22-24k and get the valve clearances done then together with plugs. Should be set for another 25k miles then.

Can you imagine how few cars Honda would sell if owners were required to pay $900 every 16K to check valves? Then add in "oh by the way we still use inner tubes so be aware that a nail will cause a blow out".
WTF.......Honda had self adjusting valves and tubeless tyres on motorcycles back in the 80's!

Mines at 16k now, just done an oil and filters swap. However I try to work it out, I really am better off just paying off the £6k next September and keeping the bike. It will have cost me £9k. Nothing else appeals and I don't see a new 1100 being worth an additional £8k plus. I'll get a full indie service done next Autumn at about 22-24k and get the valve clearances done then together with plugs. Should be set for another 25k miles then.

Yep, yep, and ...... yep :thumb

Yes a valve check is scary but just wait until they need adjusting as well, that's fun :D

Did my 955i Daytona not so long back, what a ball ache. Had to measure, calculate, reinstall, buy the correct shims, replace and recheck.

Oh for good old screw and lock nut :D

If the clearances are tight so you need thinner shims, following advice from another thread I rub them on some medium wet & dry until they reach the required thickness.

Buying replacement shims is both expensive and a pain because you can't put the bike back together until you have them but can't order them until you know what size you need.

How thick is the hardening on the shims?

I don't know and had assumed the whole shim was hardened. I've done 9k miles since I altered all four shims so assume I'm not going to have a problem.

Additionally, unlike a camshaft lobe there's nothing rubbing against a shim to wear the surface away, it's simply a spacer.

Did my 955i Daytona not so long back, what a ball ache. Had to measure, calculate, reinstall, buy the correct shims, replace and recheck.

Oh for good old screw and lock nut :D

The ktm shims come in 0.05mm increments which can mean it's impossible to set to the mid tolerance but there are some Harley shims that fit (10mm dia) and they come in 0.025 increments :)

I think it’s worth checking at the first recommended interval, then if they are well in spec it’s up to you whether or not to bother at the next interval; eg my bike was cock on at 18000 so I won’t bother looking again until, say, 50000..........unless of course she starts getting hard to start/whatever.
That may be deeply flawed but it works for me.

Andres

This was exactly my logic on my V4 1200 so I bit the bullet paid the nice guys from Crewe Honda to do the first check at 16k. The inlets were bang on so no shimming and the Unicam has lock nuts on the exhaust. Keith the mechanic said that just one exhaust was marginally out , almost not worth doing but obviously did. I’ll miss them out at the next big service and look at doing them again around 48k miles just to be safe. I’d put money on them being okay even then.

This was exactly my logic on my V4 1200 so I bit the bullet paid the nice guys from Crewe Honda to do the first check at 16k. The inlets were bang on so no shimming and the Unicam has lock nuts on the exhaust. Keith the mechanic said that just one exhaust was marginally out , almost not worth doing but obviously did. I’ll miss them out at the next big service and look at doing them again around 48k miles just to be safe. I’d put money on them being okay even then.

I’m the same, had the big £500+ service on the DCT Crosstourer at 17k, all OK so I’ll give the 32k valve check a miss.

Finished at last, everything is working as it should and I can look forward to ignoring the next scheduled valve check. :rob

Attachments

• 64684712-464B-45FC-80EF-03D17AE54D09.jpg
    64684712-464B-45FC-80EF-03D17AE54D09.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 548
The ktm shims come in 0.05mm increments which can mean it's impossible to set to the mid tolerance but there are some Harley shims that fit (10mm dia) and they come in 0.025 increments :)

If you are looking for Harley Shims - The 10mm ones are from a V-Rod.... may help you at the parts bench!!

Why would you want to set mid tolerance? Clearance should only ever close up.

If you knew how good the hardening was, you could grind them on wet and dry on glass like Ducati shims.

was at 15k miles , pushrod was too long ? longer than any available ??? plate was close to the rivets. i normally expect at least 35k out of them ( thrasher who lives in the west end ) . Epic job. so many bits to take off.

Back
Top Bottom