Intermittent starting problem

BADGER999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi ! Hoping I can tap into the knowledge here for my father in law. He’s got a 2018 V7 Stone and is having some issues with an intermittent starting problem. On the odd occasion there is nothing at all at the starter button.......no solenoid click......no lights dimming..... just dead at the switch. The bike has always eventually started and has never let him down. The bike is still under warranty but it is proving difficult to diagnose due to the intermittent nature of the problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Check the side-stand switch or any other inhibiter, relays, check there is output signals from the ECU to the ignition / injection relays side of things.the engine ECU might have an intermittent fault, hook up a OBD analyser when it does not start
AND have a look around the Guzzi sites on the internet...Ian

Thanks guys. Will forward all this onto him. Bike currently with the dealer but they say no fault code is showing......seems like it could be real tricky to solve :confused:

Just a quick update.......the bike is now back from the dealer with an interesting diagnosis. They are putting the problem down to the fact that on start up they think the throttle has been not fully closed.....which has in turn disengaged the starter motor. Not heard of this before but they are pretty sure this is the cause........just minor movement of the throttle......even caused by covering the front brake has not allowed the starter motor to do its stuff. Ring any bells with anyone ?????

check connection from rhs switch , fuses put them in and out , same with relays . does power go to solenoid when button is pushed ? earth terminal to frame/engine check with a meter.

Just a quick update.......the bike is now back from the dealer with an interesting diagnosis. They are putting the problem down to the fact that on start up they think the throttle has been not fully closed.....which has in turn disengaged the starter motor. Not heard of this before but they are pretty sure this is the cause........just minor movement of the throttle......even caused by covering the front brake has not allowed the starter motor to do its stuff. Ring any bells with anyone ?????

complete bollocks IMHO. scooters do this but not Guzzi's.

who is the dealer ?

I think baldrick has hit the nail on the head, to see if the dealer is right, try to start the bike with the throttle open just as little as you can, then repeat with ever increasing throttle opening, if it doesn’t start then the problem is sorted, if it does start go back to your dealer and ask how he arrived at the diagnosis, then kick him in the nuts for taking the piss...ian

Problem solved

Well.......amazingly... it appears the dealer was spot on. Went to check the bike out for myself this morning and yes the bike will only start when the throttle is totally closed. Tried starting on a slightly open throttle......and bugger all........but if you keep the starter button pressed and slowly close the throttle.....bingo.....it fires up. Seemed totally unfeasible to me too but at least I don’t need to go kick the dealer in the nuts.......although I did have to apologise to the father in law for accusing him of losing his marbles :augie

well...i'm very surprised .

Yep......if I hadn’t seen it I wouldn’t believe it either. Is this a ‘thing’ with modern Guzzis ????? Is there anyone out there with a bike that does the same ?? It only takes a minimal amount of throttle to cause it not to start. :nenau

It's a case of let the ECU do the work I guess; a means of making sure use of the throttle doesn't create a flooded hard start scenario. Does it not cover this in the riders manual?

Cable operated throttle !

Just wondered if it it was a potential, potentiometer issue, but as it's cable again wonder if there is a micro-switch at the injection end or an issue with the throttle position sensor, but if it's working don't fix it until it breaks

Back
Top Bottom