2005 R1200RT Servo-ectomy

Collected my de-servoed RT from Bath Road Motorcycles this morning. Brakes feel absolutely superb and no worries of plowing into the back of a lorry with a failure now. Loving this bike!

Hi, I’m probably going to have to do this to my 06 1200RT as the brake failure light is permanently on and I can’t find anything visible or obviously wrong with the bike.
What did the dealer do about the warning light? A piece of tape?
It wasn’t an issue when I did it on my 1150GSA as it was just a matter of pulling the bulb.

servoectomy

I removed my servo/abs bacK in 2011. BMW. R850R. 2004. The instructions were on this forum, by Dave H. I printed the info off, which I still have here. and I would gladly send to anybody if they want it. I think if you remove the blue ABS relay from the fuse box it will put the brake failure light out. and you can use the relay to operate your brake light. I will see if the wife can scan it and put it on here. or maybe someone can find the info from Dave H. which is on here somewhere.

I removed my servo/abs bacK in 2011. BMW. R850R. 2004. The instructions were on this forum, by Dave H. I printed the info off, which I still have here. and I would gladly send to anybody if they want it. I think if you remove the blue ABS relay from the fuse box it will put the brake failure light out. and you can use the relay to operate your brake light. I will see if the wife can scan it and put it on here. or maybe someone can find the info from Dave H. which is on here somewhere.
Thanks Colin but I don’t think the 1200 will be the same as your 04 850R which will be similar to the 1150GSA as far as I know.

servoectomy

I can't work out how to put servo removal instructions on here. we have scanned it.
I can e-mail the instructions to anybody who might want it. send me a pm with e-mail address. :rob

The fast way to spoof / hide the warning light, is to put a bit of tape over the tube where the light emits

However in doing so you loose the check lamp light due to the arrangement of the leds in the lamp cluster

I put a blob of mastic over the two red abs leds, followed up with some black PU foam,

not easy as the LEDS are in an array of 4 and its upper left and lower right that light up ;)

Once done , you get the amber light for the check function,:thumb2 which then goes off :)

The perma red ABS leds are then not seen, due to the mastic/pu setup

The fast way to spoof / hide the warning light, is to put a bit of tape over the tube where the light emits

However in doing so you loose the check lamp light due to the arrangement of the leds in the lamp cluster

I put a blob of mastic over the two red abs leds, followed up with some black PU foam,

not easy as the LEDS are in an array of 4 and its upper left and lower right that light up ;)

Once done , you get the amber light for the check function,:thumb2 which then goes off :)

The perma red ABS leds are then not seen, due to the mastic/pu setup
Thanks for this Santa. I'll see how I get on once I get all the bodywork off - I hate that bit! I might just yet put a bit of black tape over the display.....
I've discovered that the ABS/Servo unit is the same as the one I took off of my 1150 so the job should't be too much of a challenge! I've ordered the three bits of 'plumbing' fittings I need from Motorworks so this'll give me something to do to keep me out of the garden!

All done and the brakes are great, not that I've test ridden it yet :thumb In the end I split the instrument screen and put little squares of black electrical tape over the warning lights which seems to work and they are hardly visible. I just hope they don't get affected by direct sunlight - should be OK I suspect.

Thanks for all your comments.

Me too with a r1150rt.
Have you considered to repair it?. In NITOMOTOR (Spain), I fix it and cost about 600 euros wit one year garantie
I'm so glad I removed mine, I also took it off my 1150GSA, and the brakes are just so much better. Also I don't have to worry about failure and have to rely on the inadequate residual braking.

The only downside is that if I ever did need ABS on those bikes I won't have it but I'll put up with that just like I do on my other bikes.

Back
Top Bottom