Shoei Glamster

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Silly name but looks quite nice.Very 80’s.
Might be summer only as those vents don’t close !!

9a8bfc7f31f25dddc82f70db81afad57.jpg
57e1f6f85fb06a2d79246ec3919b553c.jpg
c47667180b0838cb59304ae34e7078a5.jpg

The burgeoning retro custom helmet world will expand once more in 2020 with the arrival of Shoei’s new Glamster.

It follows on from the success of the open-face J-O and motocross-style EX-Zero, bringing a road-style full-face lid to the collection.

The Glamster harks back to the 1980s with its narrow chinbar and mesh-backed vents, which go straight through to the interior without any option to close them.

There’s no new-school quick-release visor, with a screw-down mechanism to secure the all-new visor itself to the composite-fibre shell.

Modernity does get a look in with the opening and locking mechanism at the lower left edge of the visor, which is taken directly from Shoei’s NXR sports helmet.

And a Pinlock Evo anti-mist insert is included with the helmet, again taken from the NXR, to keep vision clear.

The new visor seals against a rubber strip around the visor aperture to keep out wind and rain, with Shoei promising the Glamster is a credible option for touring riding.

A vent below the retro Shoei logo does have a shutter to give the rider the option to block or allow air to flow through channels in the multiple-density EPS liner, which is backed by a brushed interior similar to its retro stablemates.

That interior includes modern essentials like emergency-release cheekpads and synthetic leather panels above the eyebrows and around the neckroll. The lid is secured by a D-ring strap to maintain the simplicity of the design.

The Glamster is due to arrive in spring 2020 in three shell sizes, one covering sizes XS-M, another for M-L and the largest shell covering XL and XXL.

Four plain paintschemes – off-white, basalt grey, gloss black and matt black – will be joined in the UK line-up by the Resurrection graphic in the three colour options in the photos above.

Prices at launch will be £409.99 for the plain colours and £499.99 for the graphics, which features a different Shoei logo that’s more reminiscent of the 1970s than the ʼ80s emblem used on the plain lids.

"A vent below the retro Shoei logo does have a shutter to give the rider the option to block or allow air to flow through channels in the multiple-density EPS liner,"

"A vent below the retro Shoei logo does have a shutter to give the rider the option to block or allow air to flow through channels in the multiple-density EPS liner,"

"The Glamster harks back to the 1980s with its narrow chinbar and mesh-backed vents, which go straight through to the interior without any option to close them."

I seen one of them a few weeks ago when I went to the Shoei 2020 preview, they only had one sample and we weren't allowed to take pictures... in fact I even had to sign a disclosure form!!

They're definitely going to be the most premium version of the Retro helmet, but they're so insanely late to the market.... the Bell Bullitt helmet has been a huge seller for us for years now so it's almost like nobody needs new retro helmets now, it's a shame it's come so late onto the market, but it fits great like a Shoei and you can be sure the quality will be great too!

We've got some coming into us next year - of course UKGSER code on our website will remove 10% too from your order!

Oh and don't forget the arai version which comes out this year too.

It's called an Arai Rapide, the graphics even have the original Arai logo on them!

Have a quick google... for the graphics search for "Arai HA Rapide"

Have you tried the ex-zero? If so, is this new lid much quieter?

Cheers

I have an Ex Zero as well.

Must confess I’ve not tried the Glamster yet.Just been out this afternoon but was bright sunshine and no tinted visor with Glamster yet so wore something else.
I’ll try it tomorrow.

I have an Ex Zero as well.

Must confess I’ve not tried the Glamster yet.Just been out this afternoon but was bright sunshine and no tinted visor with Glamster yet so wore something else.
I’ll try it tomorrow.

Thank for reply, would be great to hear your view on if it’s a lot quieter.

I like the blue lid, but not sure, given it would match my bike, probably make me look even more of a tosser

thanks Simon

I like the blue lid, but not sure, given it would match my bike, probably make me look even more of a tosser

thanks Simon

The Glamster is certainly more compact than the Ex Zero

261091798b96cd2143c4dbffb391fc1c.jpg

thanks Simon

Ok,
I’ve been out on my Road King using the Glamster this morning.
I’ve only ridden locally so no high speeds obviously.
But the Glamster does seem pretty quiet .It’s always going to be quieter than the Ex Zero seeing as the Ex doesn’t have a fully closing visor !!
The biggest surprise was just how light the Glamster feels when wearing.And also how amazing the field of version is.
The visor closes with a nice clunk and has an easy opening mechanism .It’s a very comfy and snug helmet and you barely notice you’re wearing it.

Thought I’d do a quick weight check when I got home :

Glamster :

774af226a10c92a3172b4ef0b24af4cd.jpg

3606cc0aeb3c12c3f90900afdcab5b10.jpg

Ex Zero :

f8a4b38fbfe957f567b7fae874a0e021.jpg

3ccc8c2cae8bec036978925ca8b2a33c.jpg

Neotec 2 (with special guest photographer Giles....) :

d1768a15bc0e5189061a9d8a5cb93654.jpg

fd801b0bc194a6d67360728e52bdfe64.jpg

Jeez the Neotec 2 is a bit weighty in comparison... Like cars... "extra safety" and all the bullshit that comes with modern gear maketh a shitload more weight... What's the Glamster like for padding and any semblance of weather protection...?

Funnily enough I was trawling the Bay last night and Padgetts are doing their inventory trawl with some very 90's helmets up for sale... Arai Rapide anyone... Padgetts are always good for a bit of time travel...

Just seem MotoCentral's post... Arai go retro and Padgetts still have NOS...:)

Jeez the Neotec 2 is a bit weighty in comparison... Like cars... "extra safety" and all the bullshit that comes with modern gear maketh a shitload more weight... What's the Glamster like for padding and any semblance of weather protection...?

Funnily enough I was trawling the Bay last night and Padgetts are doing their inventory trawl with some very 90's helmets up for sale... Arai Rapide anyone... Padgetts are always good for a bit of time travel...

Just seem MotoCentral's post... Arai go retro and Padgetts still have NOS...:)

Though, to be fair, I do have the SRL comms kit fitted in the Neotec 2.

The Glamster is VERY comfy,as good as any other Shoei,if not better.
Not sure what weather protection you are expecting ? :)
But the visor does close very securely.

Though, to be fair, I do have the SRL comms kit fitted in the Neotec 2.

The Glamster is VERY comfy,as good as any other Shoei,if not better.
Not sure what weather protection you are expecting ? :)
But the visor does close very securely.

Cheers for the info... Weather protection like the chin curtain add-ons ... I use an open Face for 3season better weather but still fancy a full face for the rest... Have been using a c3 but have drifted toward shoei again but the neotecs always seem weighty especially for keeping existing neck probs at bay... Like the lack of extra crap as I don't bother with coms at all...

Cheers for the info... Weather protection like the chin curtain add-ons ... I use an open Face for 3season better weather but still fancy a full face for the rest... Have been using a c3 but have drifted toward shoei again but the neotecs always seem weighty especially for keeping existing neck probs at bay... Like the lack of extra crap as I don't bother with coms at all...

It’s got a chin curtain . I think you’d like it . So light and feels even lighter when you’re wearing it , if that makes sense .

It’s got a chin curtain . I think you’d like it . So light and feels even lighter when you’re wearing it , if that makes sense .
Cheers for the info... That's the thing about modern helmets... They seem to get heavier n heavier... Also shoei do the 59-60 with plush padding... Always liked em from the grv onwards but went BMW system when working for a dealer...

Thanks for the comparison, really appreciate

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom