Thread: UPGRADING MY PC FROM WINDOWS 7 TO 10

Retired full time bike farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe

UPGRADING MY PC FROM WINDOWS 7 TO 10

Im having trouble getting my email now using windows live as its not supported by sky/yahoo mail any longer, looked at email clients that are supported and none run on windows 7 , hence i need to look at updating os first.
    anyone done this recently for free. ?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    7 to 10 is still free last time I tried a few months ago and OEM keys are readily available should you actually require registering but there is little difference on performance if its installed without a key.
    Caution : May stop suddenly

Do you want to install Windows 10 from cold, as if on a new computer, or do you need to keep any existing paid-for software? This article https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all...s-10-for-free/ has a few suggestions and, as far as I'm aware, a valid Windows 7 serial number will still work for Windows 10. What hardware are you planning to install it on? If possible I'd suggest a 64-bit version rather than 32-bit.

Maybe time for a new PC

I did this recently and ran into a number of problems as my sound card and graphics card were no longer supported. In the end I got a new PC with Windows 10, I am really pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyOldBoy View Post
    I did this recently and ran into a number of problems as my sound card and graphics card were no longer supported. In the end I got a new PC with Windows 10, I am really pleased with it.
    Im leaning that way I think . Ta

how old is your pc?

Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    how old is your pc?
    10 years

You can do it for free as the others have said.

Just expect lots of BSOD's and irksome issues

it's not very tolerant of old graphics cards and low memory

Quote Originally Posted by Santa-2512 View Post
    You can do it for free as the others have said.

Just expect lots of BSOD's and irksome issues

it's not very tolerant of old graphics cards and low memory
    The laptop I'm typing this on is a ten year old Acer. Originally built with Vista, upgraded to 7 then the assistive technology free update to 10. No BSODs, crashes or the like. 4GB of memory and a cheap SSD and all works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo1 View Post
    10 years
    Time to treat yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    The laptop I'm typing this on is a ten year old Acer. Originally built with Vista, upgraded to 7 then the assistive technology free update to 10. No BSODs, crashes or the like. 4GB of memory and a cheap SSD and all works well.
    4gb is the bare minimum for win 10

It hates my bootcamped mac with a passion,

everything is so slow on startup,

its a bloatfest of usless process's and background stuff, that you cannot disable

Quote Originally Posted by Santa-2512 View Post
    4gb is the bare minimum for win 10

It hates my bootcamped mac with a passion,

everything is so slow on startup,

its a bloatfest of usless process's and background stuff, that you cannot disable
    I also have an Advent 7204 which won't tolerate more than 2GB of ram. It also runs Windows 10 albeit slowly (ok for web browsing but I wouldn't want to start up Photoshop on it). A solid-state drive would have it working adequately well. What I suspect helps a lot is that both laptops were clean installs with no retailer bloatware, unlike the theoretically much better Acer from PCWorld that my brother regularly fouls up.

well I bit the bullet and bought a new tower pc, 8gb ram and 1tb hard drive, so far so good transferring files etc.
    cheers

Dont forget bookmarks,passwords and saved email.

only issue im having is getting my Garmin Maps on, updated my zumo with new map, selected device and pc, device fine pc not updated, each time i open garmin express and select map options, re install on pc it starts but then just comes up error in express