900cc Twin

stonehenge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So they have enlarged the capacity of the motor and squeezed 105hp out of it for the F900XR and others. At 219Kg wet, I need to ride the XR to see if it might be the repacement for my 850GSA in time.

So they have enlarged the capacity of the motor and squeezed 105hp out of it for the F900XR and others. At 219Kg wet, I need to ride the XR to see if it might be the repacement for my 850GSA in time.

219kg? Blimey, that's as heavy as the first 1200's (if not more so IIRC?).

Andres

BMW along with others could be better served shedding weight. This always seems to get ignored on the
drawing board in the quest for a 'bigger better more power' mentality.
It's been an evolutionary trait of bikes in general since the very beginning when petrol motors were first fitted
to push bikes over 100 years ago. A trait we've not been able to shake, even when enough useable power was
achieved but progressed into an arms race between manufactures.
'Less weight' not being a marketable attribute in the motorcycling macho pissing comp always gets overlooked.
Therefore dismissed as un-sexy and less attractive to stats obsessed punters who need their oh so important
bragging rights.
The power/cubes arms race rolls on.

According to dealers the new F900XR and F900R models are due in the showrooms next March.

As Triumph have just announced 5 new Tiger 900 models out in 2020 so what's the bet that by September 2020 all new F900GS and F900GSA models are announced and appear at next years IMOT, EIMCA and the likes .

The F850 will then slowly slip away into obscurity as one of BMW's shortest lived models

I can’t see that happening. Although they’ve given it a different name the increase in power is no different than the F800GS vs the F800GT. BMW aren’t saying the 900XR is replacing the 800GT but the GT is discontinued. I reckon they’ve done this to use effectively the same engine as the 850 series but changed the name and swapped to chain drive to a) associate the bike with the S1000XR and b) because it’s cheaper than keeping a bike in the range with belt drive.
I don’t like the look of it and can’t see why anyone would buy it when the S1000XR is far better, has tons more power and only weighs 10Kg more. BMW would be better served putting higher quality components in the existing 800 series, like radial 4-piston callipers and adjustable front suspension.

I think all the manufacturers will be more obsessed with meeting/exceeding Euro 5, rather than weight or pretty much anything else, currently. There is already talk of the K1600 range getting the chop.

I sat on one at the nec. It felt just “right”. You know the feeling when everything feels just so. Then the disappointment. Reading the specs you find a 15 litre tank. Why oh why not put a decent tank size on it? 20 is a good size. There seems to be plenty of room for a bigger tank. In fact sitting on it you would think that the tank was bigger. There’s no obvious skinnyness around that area. On my 850 gs 15liters is just not enough. Can’t manage 320 km or 200 miles. 250 miles is a comfortable range for me. An extra 5 liter would make such a difference. JJH

I sat on one at the nec. It felt just “right”. You know the feeling when everything feels just so. Then the disappointment. Reading the specs you find a 15 litre tank. Why oh why not put a decent tank size on it? 20 is a good size. There seems to be plenty of room for a bigger tank. In fact sitting on it you would think that the tank was bigger. There’s no obvious skinnyness around that area. On my 850 gs 15liters is just not enough. Can’t manage 320 km or 200 miles. 250 miles is a comfortable range for me. An extra 5 liter would make such a difference. JJH

The GSA is the one for you then with the 24Ltr tank and up to 400 mile (yes I have seen this much on mine) range. Although I must admit they weigh quite a bit (a lot!)

The GSA is the one for you then with the 24Ltr tank and up to 400 mile (yes I have seen this much on mine) range. Although I must admit they weigh quite a bit (a lot!)

I’ve had a 800 gsa. A fantastic bike with a fairly good range. I never quite managed 300 miles running the tank down to 27 liters. They quoted a 24 liter capacity. It seems to be a bmw trait. I was commuting mostly and motorway riding really knocked the mileage. I put up about 40,000 km on it in the 2 years I had it. Chopped it in for a 1200gsa which was chopped in for a rt. now on a 850 gs. I just couldn’t make the figures stack up on the gsa. Along came a x demo gs and the figures worked. JJH

Saw the new 900’s today...the XR is rather nice IMO, quite fancy it. £9500ish before farkles I think the salesman said. But will it be as good as a Tracer GT ?

Attachments

• DC2FB4B0-0718-4742-901E-5257F8556131.jpg
    DC2FB4B0-0718-4742-901E-5257F8556131.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 724
Saw the new 900’s today...the XR is rather nice IMO, quite fancy it. £9500ish before farkles I think the salesman said. But will it be as good as a Tracer GT ?

looks like feckin triumph with all the shiny bolts on the engine.:barf, otherwise ok.

Saw one in the dealer recently in piss yellow. Doesn't do it for me - I'd rather have an S1000XR. My F850GS is safe in the garage :)

Back
Top Bottom