R80 GSPD won't run- Carb issue

FFS answer the question that has been asked by several people. Is there fuel reaching the carb float bowls ?.

Answering a simple yes or no and it'll save us all a lot of time and then we can take it from there. .

Guys - Thanks for the answers, and I am yet unsure if the gas is reaching the float bowls it maybe a week or so until I can check...

OK,

Just to allay some of your concerns (The bike is 750Km's away stored under my balcony in Switzerland in a house that is being shutdown with no internet - I get to tamper with it one day a month with the objective of getting it moved, on a trailer and getting it somewhere more accessible)

Wish me luck

I am currently resident and working in Antwerp /Belgium. The bike is still in Switzerland. Im trying to get it on a trailer and get it moved across the border, under cover of darkness :augie into storage for the winter.

Last edited:
OK - To keep y'all posted on an update of the situation. It runs!

Spent the weekend down in Switzerland with the bike and got it running. Took all the advice with me !

1) Checked fuel was reaching the carbs by taking off the (new) pipes - Yes fuel flow - although I think that one of the stopcocks will need replacing (It only dribbled fuel on reserve)
2) Checked fuel was in the float bowls - Yes and fuel was being delivered -yes good flows on both carbs.
3) Opened the fuel cap - still no start.
4) Set both throttle cables to about 50% each o the "finger / nut adjusters - finger tight. - No start.
5) Got underneath and screwed the needles in fully - then 2 1/2 full turns out ( from 2 strokes days ??) - one was rather stiff - Need to look into that.
5) Noticed that the "breather hose" was out - So plumbed that back in - I only found one breather nipple on one side ? - Is that correct ?
- But now it runs. Its a little sluggish on the response and in the morning only came to life with some ether - but after that seemed OK to get it on a trailer and get it outta there.

Ill post a video once its all downloaded here ( Ive lost about 3 TB of photos / movies and music in this move - crashed / damaged drives - :blast looking for backups as we speak... Doh !)

1) Checked fuel was reaching the carbs by taking off the (new) pipes - Yes fuel flow - although I think that one of the stopcocks will need replacing (It only dribbled fuel on reserve)
Likely the fuel tube filter inside the tank is clogged

2) Checked fuel was in the float bowls - Yes and fuel was being delivered -yes good flows on both carbs
Fuel taps off, Remove one bowl at a time, lie or crouch down beside that carb and turn on fuel (with a basin below it to catch fuel!!!) and raise the Float until the lines on the side of the float are parallel with the base line of the carb at that point fuel should cease to flow completely!

3) Opened the fuel cap - still no start.
Usually only a problem with tank not venting and forming a vacuum preventing fuel flowing after a high speed run

4) Set both throttle cables to about 50% each o the "finger / nut adjusters - finger tight. - No start.
No idea what the hell that is??

About 2 to 3 mm of slack at each adjuster is enough to make sure the cables are not hanging

5) Got underneath and screwed the needles in fully - then 2 1/2 full turns out ( from 2 strokes days ??) - one was rather stiff - Need to look into that.
Okay so you need to look at the carb type some are 3/4 turn out from closed some 1 and a 1/2 but I don;t think any are as far out as 2 and 1/2 turns Stiff likely due to a degraded O ring and crap in the area

carbs-levers-springsL.jpg
Image taken from R Fleischers site with a good if not in depth article on Bings !"

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/bingcv.htmAnd https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/bingcv-2.htm

Well the currently the bike runs - thats the main thing - I can now walk it 30m up hill, get it on a trailer and outta there...

Likely the fuel tube filter inside the tank is clogged
- OK will look into that.

Fuel taps off, Remove one bowl at a time, lie or crouch down beside that carb and turn on fuel (with a basin below it to catch fuel!!!) and raise the Float until the lines on the side of the float are parallel with the base line of the carb at that point fuel should cease to flow completely!

--Did that apart from the raise the float thing mentioned... will try that..

Usually only a problem with tank not venting and forming a vacuum preventing fuel flowing after a high speed run
--didnt change a thing AFAIK

No idea what the hell that is??

---thats those bolt/nut type contraptions that the throttle cable goes through - Im guessing you call them adjusters... I just set them at "about half way" on either side

About 2 to 3 mm of slack at each adjuster is enough to make sure the cables are not hanging

--Hmmm, Ill see what you mean next time...

Okay so you need to look at the carb type some are 3/4 turn out from closed some 1 and a 1/2 but I dont think any are as far out as 2 and 1/2 turns Stiff likely due to a degraded O ring and crap in the area

--well I think seal and rings were replaced about 12 months ago..Thats what has got me in this predicament in the first place...If Im gonna keep the bike, I believe it is gonna get a complete tear down....

Cheers all

A complete tear down? WILL YOU GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEIR DOING TO LOOK AT IT? Please pretty please. JJH

flytoolow;5547584[B said:
---thats those bolt/nut type contraptions that the throttle cable goes through - Im guessing you call them adjusters... I just set them at "about half way" on either side
[/B]

--Hmmm, Ill see what you mean next time...

The "adjusters" are just that, to "adjust" the slack out of the cables. (Not all of it!). The art of setting the "adjusters" is to have both slides moving in unison. Look upon it and wonder.

If the filters, either in line or in tank are suspected of being part blocked - try taking the fuel line off just above the carb and blowing hard up it! *
If the Bike then starts and runs you'll know that was the problem and can strip the filters to clean them properly. :thumb2

* obviously do it carefully or you'll get fuel everywhere - including in yer gob. :barf
... or you'll have forgotten to turn the fuel tap on and just get red faced and breathless.
DAMHIK :blast
Good luck.
Good advice mate, having the same problem... I used a cheap can of keyboard air spray and shot it up the petrol line with the tap open... you could hear it bubbling in the tank. Cured the muc in the filters (for a while anyhow..and no lumpy running) Great tip - cheers Ogmios

If the filters, either in line or in tank are suspected of being part blocked - try taking the fuel line off just above the carb and blowing hard up it! *
If the Bike then starts and runs you'll know that was the problem and can strip the filters to clean them properly. :thumb2

* obviously do it carefully or you'll get fuel everywhere - including in yer gob. :barf
... or you'll have forgotten to turn the fuel tap on and just get red faced and breathless.
DAMHIK :blast
Good luck.
Exactly this. I started with a carb rebuild kit from motorworks (simple to do with plenty on YouTube giving you a step by step guide) replaced inline filters….still not running right. Blew through the pipe up through the peacocks. Ran OK for a bit. Drained the tank. Took the pet cocks out plus the gauze filter…..covered in crap (rust). Emptied the tank, and with an inspection camera searched out the rust spots, washed out the tank with vinegar, covered in cure rust stop. Put all back together and running sweet.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom